Bragging on the blue dog

Old June 22nd 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey[_3_]

Default Bragging on the blue dog

Caris, the little blue lunatic, is now Caris, CGC!

This is a dog that spent most of his first seven weeks of obedience class
trying to shatter eardrums and kick doggie butt. Screaming and lunging and
acting like the brainless idiot he most certainly is NOT. Two seven-week
sessions in clicker class restored much of his happy, pleasant disposition,
at least while he's in the club building. We're going to take a few more
classes at other venues, just to generalize the notion of sensible behavior
in public.

The dog has a heck of a heel in him, when he chooses to use it. The sits
are, well, eccentric at best. Straight, competition obedience sits are
going to have to be built out of the least likely material over a great
deal of time.

Anyway, we took the CGC tests last night, and he passed! Did most of the
stationary exercises (meet a friendly person, grooming, stay) lying down.
Started the greeting exercise lying down, then crept forward so I heeled a
small circle, reminded him to stay, and he suddenly realized I was talking
to HIM!

I didn't think he'd pass on the first try, but he did. Caris thought the
"no cookies" rule was totally unfair, but he got Curly Fries afterward and
that seemed to pacify him.

Next up, ILP/PAL application, then hip/elbow films for OFA. My goal is
obedience and rally classes at the 2012 ACDCA Nationals. We might actually
make it in the ring before he's 12!

--
Mary H. and the restored Ames National Zoo:
The Right Reverand Sir Edgar "Lucky" Pan-Waffles;
Old June 22nd 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Wingnut[_2_]

"Mary Healey" wrote in message
3.62...
[...]

Cute story...made me laugh -- and congratulations!

Old June 22nd 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:20:41 +0000 (UTC), Mary Healey
wrote:

Caris, the little blue lunatic, is now Caris, CGC!

Congratulations to both of you! How old is Caris?

Old June 22nd 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey[_3_]

sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

wrote:

Caris, the little blue lunatic, is now Caris, CGC!

Congratulations to both of you! How old is Caris?

He's just two (give or take a month).

Old June 22nd 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie[_3_]

[...]

Congratulations, Mary and Caris! IIRC, Caris is a MinPin? I think I
remember when you brought him home...

Phyrie

Old June 22nd 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey[_3_]

"Phyrie" wrote:
Congratulations, Mary and Caris!

Thankee!

IIRC, Caris is a MinPin? I think I remember when you brought him
home...

Caris is a blue Australian Cattle Dog. I sprung him from the
Marshalltown shelter about a year ago.

You might be thinking of Robin's Zipper (or Prada, her new Pinhead).
Zipper's way more advanced than Caris.

Old June 23rd 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Mary Healey" wrote in message
3.62...
Caris, the little blue lunatic, is now Caris, CGC!

Well done!
Any chance of photos or video of Caris?
Al

Old June 23rd 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie[_3_]

"Mary Healey" wrote in message
.230...
"Phyrie" wrote:
Congratulations, Mary and Caris!

Thankee!

IIRC, Caris is a MinPin? I think I remember when you brought him
home...

Caris is a blue Australian Cattle Dog. I sprung him from the
Marshalltown shelter about a year ago.

You might be thinking of Robin's Zipper (or Prada, her new Pinhead).
Zipper's way more advanced than Caris.

--
Mary H. and the restored Ames National Zoo:
The Right Reverand Sir Edgar "Lucky" Pan-Waffles;
U-CD ANZ Babylon Ranger, CD, RE; ANZ Pas de Duke, RN;
Caris, CGC and rotund Rhia

Ah, yes, you're right, I think it was Zipper. I wondered at the "blue dog"
tag, as Zipper is red (I think) but I thought it might be a personality tag,
rather than a colour one. Proves the old truism about ASS-uming. ;-)

Regardless, the Congrats stands.

Phyrie

Old June 25th 10, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

Mary Healey said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Next up, ILP/PAL application, then hip/elbow films for OFA.
My goal is obedience and rally classes at the 2012 ACDCA
Nationals. We might actually make it in the ring before
he's 12!

Awesome!

Congratulations on your well though-out future for Caris. She's
nice.

--
--Matt.
Old June 26th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_2_]

Mary Healey wrote:

Caris, the little blue lunatic, is now Caris, CGC!

Congratulations.

This is a dog that spent most of his first seven weeks of obedience class
trying to shatter eardrums and kick doggie butt. Screaming and lunging and
acting like the brainless idiot he most certainly is NOT. Two seven-week
sessions in clicker class restored much of his happy, pleasant disposition,
at least while he's in the club building. We're going to take a few more
classes at other venues, just to generalize the notion of sensible behavior
in public.

You're building a great foundation.

The dog has a heck of a heel in him, when he chooses to use it. The sits
are, well, eccentric at best. Straight, competition obedience sits are
going to have to be built out of the least likely material over a great
deal of time.

If the sits are bad is there any chance he has hip displasia? Its one of
the clues we had to Smoky's displasia.

Anyway, we took the CGC tests last night, and he passed! Did most of the
stationary exercises (meet a friendly person, grooming, stay) lying down.
Started the greeting exercise lying down, then crept forward so I heeled a
small circle, reminded him to stay, and he suddenly realized I was talking
to HIM!

I didn't think he'd pass on the first try, but he did. Caris thought the
"no cookies" rule was totally unfair, but he got Curly Fries afterward and
that seemed to pacify him.

Great start.
Next up, ILP/PAL application, then hip/elbow films for OFA. My goal is
obedience and rally classes at the 2012 ACDCA Nationals. We might actually
make it in the ring before he's 12!

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email

Ole Blue Dave[_8_] Dogs - general 0 September 26th 08 02:46 AM
my blue rat Steve & Misty Dog behavior 0 December 22nd 03 10:04 PM
my blue rat Steve & Misty Dog behavior 0 December 22nd 03 10:04 PM
my blue rat Steve & Misty Dog behavior 0 December 22nd 03 10:04 PM
my blue rat Steve & Misty Dog behavior 0 December 22nd 03 10:04 PM