Assistance trainer

Old June 27th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Assistance trainer

I now have had the first session with the trainer. It was yesterday.

Cash checks out for a fun cart draw and we've have him fitted properly for a
good harness. This is a chest harness and it's a small cart suitable for a
12 pack to the local store. Because he is pulling with his chest and legs,
there are no neck issues. You can just watch him grinning with his new toy!

I know it's a small thing, but Cash has ever enjoyed some new thing to
learn.

Other assessment. Cash can with time and patience walk with Don as his
vision is fading. He's a bit past prime to be a real seeing eye dog but
he's very observant of his 2 foots and automatically adapts. He already
leads Don around things a bit when on leash. The apple tree in the front
yard with the low branches was notable to the trainer. We now have a little
doggie homework to do which will be fun for us all!

Any others working things a bit like this?

Old June 28th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:18:56 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]

I'm going to answer this just because I think you are making an effort
to get a discussion going again, and this is an example of why that
sometimes doesn't happen. First, I don't know what an assistance
trainer is. Is it a trainer that trains dogs to be assistance dogs?
Second, I truly don't know what you mean when you say "any others
working things a bit like this?". Working what things, a bit like
what? If you're asking if anyone else is working with someone who
trains assistance dogs, I'm certainly not. If you're asking something
else, I didn't understand what you were asking.

Often, even when this group was quite active, someone would post an
experience, observation or question that would get no response. The
reason was (and is) that no one else had that experience, knew the
answer to the question, or had a useful comment to add. 30 people
posting "I don't know" or "I've never done that" adds a lot of noise
but no substance, so people didn't do that. So if you post something
and no one replies, one of these reasons could be why.

Old June 28th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

sighthounds & siberians said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Often, even when this group was quite active, someone would
post an experience, observation or question that would get
no response.

Yup. My last post was an observation, and I expect no response
to it unless someone wants to swap flying-your-dog anecdotes.

And, FWIW, anecdotes can not only be fun to read, but are useful
sometimes, *and* sometimes can qualify as data.

--
--Matt.
Old June 28th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

[...]

Yes. At least, this is the term that trainer uses for himself.

Heheh he's cool. He point blank says he promises to do nothing other than
take your money and sometimes just tell you that what you want to train, is
either not possible for that dog or you seem too dumb to ever succeed.

Second, I truly don't know what you mean when you say "any others
working things a bit like this?". Working what things, a bit like
what? If you're asking if anyone else is working with someone who
trains assistance dogs, I'm certainly not. If you're asking something
else, I didn't understand what you were asking.

Either working with assistance trainers (service dog trainers might be a
better term) or have trained a dog in some aspect of 'service dog'. While
it's a long shot that any here have done that, it's not impossible.

It's no problem if there aren't any here doing this. If so, I wouldnt
expect much reply.

Old June 28th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Matt" wrote

Yup. My last post was an observation, and I expect no response
to it unless someone wants to swap flying-your-dog anecdotes.

Or ask what's involved like I just did ;-)

Old June 28th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
I now have had the first session with the trainer. It was yesterday.

Cash checks out for a fun cart draw and we've have him fitted properly
for a good harness. This is a chest harness and it's a small cart
suitable for a 12 pack to the local store.

That's useful! I bet you will attract alot of attention.

Other assessment. Cash can with time and patience walk with Don as his
vision is fading. He's a bit past prime to be a real seeing eye dog but
he's very observant of his 2 foots and automatically adapts. He already
leads Don around things a bit when on leash. The apple tree in the front
yard with the low branches was notable to the trainer. We now have a
little doggie homework to do which will be fun for us all!

I'm sorry about Don losing his sight. The only problem is this that Don's
safety could be at risk if he relies on Cash. Is your trainer qualified to
train assistance dogs?

Any others working things a bit like this?

Only Dibby letting me know someones at the door or my mobile phone has
buzzed.

In the Uk, dogs tend to be grouped as Assistance dogs. This covers Guide
dogs for the Blind and Hearing dogs etc
http://www.caninepartners.co.uk/assistancedogs

Al

Old June 29th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Alison" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Cash checks out for a fun cart draw and we've have him fitted properly
for a good harness. This is a chest harness and it's a small cart
suitable for a 12 pack to the local store.

That's useful! I bet you will attract alot of attention.

Hehe so far, he's proudly trotting about up and down the driveway then
across the grass and learning to turn the little cart without tipping it
over. It may sound silly to some, but he's having fun! Inside are a few
bricks, about equal to the weight of a 12 pack of pepsi.

Other assessment. Cash can with time and patience walk with Don as his
vision is fading. He's a bit past prime to be a real seeing eye dog but
he's very observant of his 2 foots and automatically adapts. He already
leads Don around things a bit when on leash. The apple tree in the front
yard with the low branches was notable to the trainer. We now have a
little doggie homework to do which will be fun for us all!

I'm sorry about Don losing his sight. The only problem is this that Don's
safety could be at risk if he relies on Cash. Is your trainer qualified to
train assistance dogs?

Yes, and that was the warning that Cash will probably never be able to be a
full level there, but he can help with somewhat fading vision. Don's not
blind but lacks definition in view which glasses can't fix. Cash can learn
a bit to help better is all.

This trainer evaluated him walking with me and Charlottre then Don. The
difference he thinks in adaption is that Don doesnt walk Cash nearly as
often so he is less aware of Don's reactions and needs.

Dunno much more yet on that, only that Cash shows signs of being capable of
some level as long as Don can still see his feet and where the road is.

Any others working things a bit like this?

Only Dibby letting me know someones at the door or my mobile phone has
buzzed.

In the Uk, dogs tend to be grouped as Assistance dogs. This covers Guide
dogs for the Blind and Hearing dogs etc
http://www.caninepartners.co.uk/assistancedogs

Cool links! Might be related to why this fellow uses term 'assistance
trainer'.

Old July 9th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Assistance trainer, update

"cshenk" wrote
"Alison" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Cash checks out for a fun cart draw and we've have him fitted properly
for a good harness. This is a chest harness and it's a small cart
suitable for a 12 pack to the local store.

New harness came in last week (I had a cart loaner until then). Ordered
this one through the trainer and it's got 3 snap rings fairly close along
the back (for biking, to better spread the tension, though you don't have to
use all 3 and we use 2). It has a snp ring on each side snugged to the back
but attached to the wide chest band so he's basically pulling from the
chest. These are attached to the cart when he plays at 'helping Mommie
bring home some sodas'.

That's useful! I bet you will attract alot of attention.

Yup! It's flourescent orange with reflector strips (grin). Cool weave as
well so air flows through and pretty much snaps in place really easy then
you tighten a few straps. Much easier than his first harness and cooler
than his normal walking one (which we'll use for walking in colder months).

Hehe so far, he's proudly trotting about up and down the driveway then
across the grass and learning to turn the little cart without tipping it
over. It may sound silly to some, but he's having fun! Inside are a few
bricks, about equal to the weight of a 12 pack of pepsi.

Cash can now handle a U-turn on even grass and no problems on sidewalks or
streets. He mastered sidewalks and streets within a week. The local
7-Eleven says 'He's allowed inside as he's obviously helping you'.

He learned a new one all on his own. Today, when Don opened the door to
grab a 6 pack, he called Cash over. LOL! Cash *backed the cart up for him
to the door for loading!* He just sorta sat there looking smug too.

[...]

Trainer dropped off some stuff today for us to read up on and took a watch
of Don walking him (which he's been doing more of lately). Depth perception
is one of Don's main problems. Cash is trying apparently to guide Don
around uneven bits and Don was interpreting it as 'pulling' so mildly
correcting him. Trainer said if he doesn't pull with me or Charlotte, and
is only 'side pulling' or 'angling the walk' with Don, to investigate why
first then praise if there was uneven ground. Charlotte, being on summer
break is walking with them now and will let him know.

On weight, Cash is now at 54lbs even. Looks perfect to me. Classic would
have more belly undertuck but even when he was a 27lb starvling, he didn't
have much undertuck as you would think. Waist from looking down at him, may
actually be a bit too defined for classic for his body type but I think
that's coming from more muscular hind legs than normal for most dogs. His
regular vet is in tomorrow and we are due for him to make a fast blood test
after his last problem and a weight assessment.

Old July 11th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

Good work! I'd love to see some pictures or videos of that. It's been pretty
quiet here on RPDB, and some of the "noise" was just Dogman being, well,
"dogmanic".

I've been mostly on the CM forums lately. Some very interesting threads!
http://community.sessionswithcesar.c....aspx?ForumID=

Paul and Muttley

Old July 11th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

He learned a new one all on his own. Today, when Don opened the door to
grab a 6 pack, he called Cash over. LOL! Cash *backed the cart up for
him to the door for loading!* He just sorta sat there looking smug too.

Good work! I'd love to see some pictures or videos of that. It's been
pretty quiet here on RPDB,

Well, I'm not a video tape sort, sorry.

I've been mostly on the CM forums lately. Some very interesting threads!
http://community.sessionswithcesar.c....aspx?ForumID=

Poor Brutus.

Meantime, made that Saturday appt. Took Daisy too as wanted to check her
weight. She's getting a little fat again. Almost 11 lbs. Small framed cat
and not that different from last weight but even 6oz on a cat of that size
shows.

Cash was 53lb 12oz (normal variation, just took a doggie dump). Success!
Vet says 'just about perfect, keep it here'. He did some measurements for
comparison with earlier ones. It wasnt just in my head, his waist is much
smaller but still little undertuck. Vet told me to stop worrying about
that (not that I was excessively worried, just concerned he might be over a
bit still).

Thats the good news. The other news is nominal. Having had a few close
calls with chicken necks and legs, we stopped for a bit there to think about
it as far as full BARF diet. Asked vet if he knew of a way to 'slow the
dog' down and he doesn't. He said he'd dealt with it before though and you
have to pretty much swap to foods the dog doesnt do that with so chicken
bones seem out for us. So, Cash is staying on a mixed diet of Blue
Wilderness and a fair portion of the BARF while we assess this. Cash
handles substantial bones safely and easily, but not the smaller ones of
poultry.

It's partly safety and partly cost. He loves raw pork ribs and seems to not
have any issues with those bones but they are hardly 50cents a lb (sad
grin). What we did was dispense with all canned meats as his 'wet' and now
feed that part raw, boneless when chicken. He's out in the backyard (cool
enough today) munching the heck out a milkfish head and tail. Peeked, not
much left. Bit of fin is all I can see and a happy grin. He doesnt try to
wolf these down. I'll study up a bit on how it seems to work if you 'BARF'
with fish mostly for the bone.

Free Rx Assistance e142xkx7 Dog rescue 0 December 3rd 07 06:39 PM
Alzheimer's assistance Chris Dog behavior 0 April 5th 04 04:41 PM