Submission/Aggression in Coonhounds?

Old July 14th 10, 10:05 AM
Farawr Farawr is offline
Junior Member

Default Submission/Aggression in Coonhounds?

Ever since I adopted my Purebred Treeing Walker Coonhound, every time she see's me she always rolls over and shows me her belly. While she never seems to challenge me or anything she is starting to growl and nip (but she never nips hard enough to hurt, she just scares them) at the rest of my family, she leaves my cat, cockatiel and goose alone but is starting to..i guess be aggressive towards the humans. Any reason why? They all do the same things I do when around her, and i have started modifying the ways they act around her to see if it goes away....any suggestions?
Old July 15th 10, 01:46 AM
Farawr Farawr is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman[_3_] View Post
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:05:15 +0000, Farawr
wrote:

Ever since I adopted my Purebred Treeing Walker Coonhound, every time
she see's me she always rolls over and shows me her belly. While she
never seems to challenge me or anything she is starting to growl and nip
(but she never nips hard enough to hurt, she just scares them) at the
rest of my family, she leaves my cat, cockatiel and goose alone but is
starting to..i guess be aggressive towards the humans. Any reason why?

First, it's *very* atypical for a coonhound to show aggression towards
humans. Second, a dog should never respond to the mere sight of its
owner by rolling over and showing her belly. Something is *very* wrong
here, and it may not be the fault of your dog.

They all do the same things I do when around her, and i have started
modifying the ways they act around her to see if it goes away....any
suggestions?

Yes, and because there are just too many variables to consider here,
you need to have a competent trainer/behaviorist visit your home
environment and OBSERVE what's really going on, ask a lot of
questions, etc., because I suspect there are things going on (or not
going on) that are responsible for this behavior.

So don't mess around with this, especially if there are any small
children in your family.

You need professional help - ASAP.

--
Dogman

Well she has done the belly thing ever since I got her from the shelter, she has never been beaten or slapped...she has been corrected when she does something wrong but only by removing what she did and giving her a sharp NO or Bad. Please don't think that I am hurting her cause I never would, she is my first dog that I have had to beg my dad for years to get.

And I've noticed that its really only men that she growls and nips at. Would that be normal of a female?
Old July 15th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

Farawr said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Well she has done the belly thing ever since I got her from
the shelter, she has never been beaten or slapped...

....since you've had her in your home. Do you know her
situation before she came to you? Unlikely, but it's worth
asking.

she has
been corrected when she does something wrong but only by
removing what she did and giving her a sharp NO or Bad.

While you're following Dogman's advice about getting a good
one-on-one assessment, don't do that. Don't put her in a
situation in which she may become scared of you and your
family. That won't help the situation.

Please don't think that I am hurting her cause I never
would, she is my first dog that I have had to beg my dad
for years to get.

And I've noticed that its really only men that she growls
and nips at. Would that be normal of a female?

Many dogs are more fearful of men than women. Men tend to
think that punishment and consequence is the first recourse.
Men tend to think that a hearty slap on the side is
commardrie. Men loom and talk deep. Men get pissed off when
the dog doesn't immediately take to them.

--
--Matt.