I have a question about the health of dogs

Old July 16th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jalexa9898[_2_]

Default I have a question about the health of dogs

Ok I am not by a longshot an expert in dogs. Or for that matter
an expert in how to keep dogs in good health but I have a question due
to the vacation I am taking next month. Now the reason I am asking
about this is based on something I have heard about dogs. I have
understood that dogs do not sweat like people do thats why they pant.
What I do sometimes is when I travel to a city and I love traveling is
I put the zipcode in my Iphone to get a weather forecast for that
city. Next month I am going to palm springs and what I found out about
palm springs is there temperatures get very very high, like 115
degrees at times! Now its one thing to wonder how a human can handle
an environment like that but how can a dog handle it? I am asking
because I know some people in palm springs who have dogs?
Old July 16th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil L

jalexa9898 wrote:
Ok I am not by a longshot an expert in dogs. Or for that matter
an expert in how to keep dogs in good health but I have a question due
to the vacation I am taking next month. Now the reason I am asking
about this is based on something I have heard about dogs. I have
understood that dogs do not sweat like people do thats why they pant.
What I do sometimes is when I travel to a city and I love traveling is
I put the zipcode in my Iphone to get a weather forecast for that
city. Next month I am going to palm springs and what I found out about
palm springs is there temperatures get very very high, like 115
degrees at times! Now its one thing to wonder how a human can handle
an environment like that but how can a dog handle it? I am asking
because I know some people in palm springs who have dogs?

Read the post entitled:' Avoiding Heat Related Injuries in Dogs' posted here
on the 21st of June by Char

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old July 16th 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

On 7/16/2010 10:48 AM, jalexa9898 wrote:
Ok I am not by a longshot an expert in dogs. Or for that matter
an expert in how to keep dogs in good health but I have a question due
to the vacation I am taking next month. Now the reason I am asking
about this is based on something I have heard about dogs. I have
understood that dogs do not sweat like people do thats why they pant.
What I do sometimes is when I travel to a city and I love traveling is
I put the zipcode in my Iphone to get a weather forecast for that
city. Next month I am going to palm springs and what I found out about
palm springs is there temperatures get very very high, like 115
degrees at times! Now its one thing to wonder how a human can handle
an environment like that but how can a dog handle it? I am asking
because I know some people in palm springs who have dogs?

Those people also have air conditioning.
Old July 20th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:44:03 -0400, Char
wrote:

[...]

Good point. People who live in Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc.
are used to very hot temperatures. They're a fact of life, and
because of that people are probably more likely to take precautions
with their dogs. And, everything is air conditioned.

Old July 21st 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

jalexa9898 wrote:
Ok I am not by a longshot an expert in dogs. Or for that matter
an expert in how to keep dogs in good health but I have a question due
to the vacation I am taking next month. Now the reason I am asking
about this is based on something I have heard about dogs. I have
understood that dogs do not sweat like people do thats why they pant.

Jalexa, did you get the information you needed? Char posted a really good
note but here is the basics of it.

You are right. Dogs do not sweat. Also, dogs can not cool down well at all
without a breeze in the hotter climates. Their body core temp can get
dangersly high at a mere 80F in a car with no strong breeze (windows
cracked). You just do not leave a dog in a car at all down south. Not even
for 5 mins. Char specifically mentioned some folks try to 'open the
sunroof' but air doesnt get down there in a breeze pattern and she's right.

Recent radio report here. 17 dogs have died and 3 infants due to being left
in cars for a 'quick run into 7-Eleven' in my local city.

One of the worst things you can do is spritz them with water thinking this
will cool them off. Without a reasonable breeze, you can steam bake a dog
in their heavy fur this way. This is especially true to dogs that have an
undercoat of fur. Rather nasty way to die.

Another part I added to that thread (which you may not have seen) was heat
of pavement. A dog can have their paws badly burned if you aren't aware of
the pavement heat.

Don't be afraid to take the pooch with you, just keep in mind he probably is
*less* heat tolerant than you, will need lots of water and pee more, and
can't walk on pavement hotter than your own bare feet can take comfortably.
(test with your hand before getting dog out of car).

Hope this helps.

Old July 21st 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

On 7/20/2010 7:48 PM, cshenk wrote:

Another part I added to that thread (which you may not have seen) was
heat of pavement. A dog can have their paws badly burned if you aren't
aware of the pavement heat.

Don't be afraid to take the pooch with you, just keep in mind he
probably is *less* heat tolerant than you, will need lots of water and
pee more, and can't walk on pavement hotter than your own bare feet can
take comfortably. (test with your hand before getting dog out of car).

Hope this helps.

Another idea is to buy the dog some shoes. Works great on hot pavement
if the bottoms are made thick enough.
Old July 29th 10, 08:05 AM
levenshugh levenshugh is offline
Junior Member

Millions of dog owners stand getting good Dog Health Care information on owning a healthy, happy, well trained dog, as being one of biggest pleasures life can offer them. No domestic animal, no other pet is capable to love its owner with such devotion, or to get adapted to his environment so perfectly. For most people, dogs are not just a pets, but a companion, a friend. This site intends to by a complete guide of dogs is focused on dog care and Dog Training. Some of the Dog Breeds discussed within are categorized as company and working dogs and will need Dog Carriers. Other Dog Breeds are also described at length along with related Dog Health Care Information. We will help you choose one of several most suitable Dog Names. We'll show you what dogs need and help you train them in the most effective way by taking advantage of its intelligence, breed's habits and capacities. We will also offer you numerous advice based on recent investigations and researches around the world.
Old August 15th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

"Char" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Another part I added to that thread (which you may not have seen) was
heat of pavement. A dog can have their paws badly burned if you aren't
aware of the pavement heat.

Another idea is to buy the dog some shoes. Works great on hot pavement if
the bottoms are made thick enough.

Grin, just posted on this. Cash isn't heat tolerant enough for this to be a
solution to biking in heat index 115F (45C) or even heat index 100F (about
37C). True temps here have ranged close to 100F pretty much for the last
6-7 weeks with a few cooler days at a mere 90F. This weekend, we get a
glorious reprieve of mid-80's and have the house open with just a few fans.

Anyways, he's got designer booties (grin). The scrunchies match his harness
but I can also swap them out to others we have here. I replaced the leather
strap with a hot pink cotton shoelace so 'we be stylin'! LOL.

I saw another set on one of the many english bull dogs here. It's a little
different as it has the pop rivets from toe to front of leg and honest to
gosh shoelaces! They look like old time keds 'high tops' but at the ankle
they have 'peds' vice keds.

The Bull Dog this time BTW is 'Barney the Bull dog'. One of the last set
from the small breeder who's 2 were carefully allowed to have 3 litters and
almost all the pups are locally settled (fixed too) within 1-2 miles.