Actively training, progress report

Old August 5th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Actively training, progress report

Here's an update since the 9th of July.

Cash is a regular fixture now with his cart in the morning to 7-eleven about
3 days a week. He has a corner he parks in while you look about then comes
on call to let you put a few things in his little cart.

Biking with me is now just weekends as the pavement and everything else is
too hot at this season in the afternoon when I get home from work. He jogs
with Charlotte M-W-F and walks with Don T-TH. Walking with Don is where the
main behavior changes are coming to the fore. Cash has now dropped back
with Don to where he can see his feet clearly and using the 2 back rings on
a gentle tension, 'steers' Don gently about any irregular ground. Don isn't
blind but his depth perception isn't very good and his vision is a bit
fuzzy. (Yes, Don is under medical care, they just can't fix this one. They
don't think he will go blind as the years go on, but what's lost isn't going
to come back either).

The new harness Cash has has 2 rings on the side and came with the
attachment for a guide dog. Assistance trainer was here this morning and
reviewed with Don. Cash is now ready to use that but only with Don.
Apparently it will confuse Cash if either of us use it. The trainers
assessment is that at our need level, this is more Cash once he gets used to
it, training Don to his gentle pulls (grin).

Cash developed an interesting behavior with Don. Earlier he would pull (but
only with Don after we worked with him). Now, if he wants to 'wander' with
Don he won't really pull, he gives an almost puppy 'yip' then *gently* pulls
just a little bit where he wants to go. You know, checking his pee-mail on
the fire hydrant and stuff like that (grin).

Old August 6th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Cash sounds like a great dog! I think most dogs who have been exposed to a
kind environment with good leadership and discipline develop a sense of
mutual trust with their humans, and will almost instinctively sense problems
and will do an amazing job dealing with it. There have been many "hero dogs"
who have saved people in various predicaments without being specifically
trained to do so. They can be really good at figuring out the situation and
doing what is needed, within their abilities and limited tools.

There was a really good hero dog story in the CM forum recently:
http://community.sessionswithcesar.c...s/t/34235.aspx

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old August 6th 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Here's an update since the 9th of July.

(snippies)

The new harness Cash has has 2 rings on the side and came with the
attachment for a guide dog. Assistance trainer was here this morning and
reviewed with Don. Cash is now ready to use that but only with Don.
Apparently it will confuse Cash if either of us use it. The trainers
assessment is that at our need level, this is more Cash once he gets used
to it, training Don to his gentle pulls (grin).

Today (6 August) Don tried it. Cash found it slightly frustrating at first
Don says, and got a little 'heavy weighted' in direction but Don seems to be
picking up (per his own assessment by end of walk). It's a change in
pattern for them both and trainer says will take probably 2 months to get
down between them. For the rest, this isn't official USA 'blind seeing eye
dog' level nor expected to be. It's a mere 'hey dummy, thats a pot-hole'.
I know it almost 'sounds' like the other level when I try to describe it,
but it's not.

It was kinda funny in a macabre way. This is the only training Cash didnt
enjoy that much because his 2foot was slow to train. Humm, I wonder if full
guide dogs for the blind feel like that with a newbie to guide dogs?

Cash sounds like a great dog! I think most dogs who have been exposed to a
kind environment with good leadership and discipline develop a sense of
mutual trust with their humans, and will almost instinctively sense
problems and will do an amazing job dealing with it.

All dogs are great though!

(cool story snipped).

A free downloadable report about dog training traininglabs Dog behavior 1 December 5th 08 01:00 AM
Progress Report Shelly Dog behavior 16 October 15th 08 07:26 PM
Progress Report: Culture for Schools - Colleges - Universities family-living Dog breeds 0 September 18th 08 01:50 PM
Progress, interesting behavior, and a question about training length Aticineto Dog behavior 1 May 1st 06 11:59 AM
Buddy Progress Report Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 2 August 12th 05 05:03 PM