training advice please

Old August 15th 10, 01:21 PM
debbyftm debbyftm is offline
Junior Member

Default training advice please

I have adopted a 'springador' from dogs trust, he is 4.
Yeah he has a few litle quirks, like hooking his paw over the lead when we go out so he is walking/standing on 3 legs, as soon as i have untangled he does it again, this goes on for a few mins till we get to the gate!! whats that all about!?

He also gos beserk when i get his lead, jumps about 5 feet into the air, i tell him to sit and he does while i put his lead on.
Been trying to clicker train him not to pull when i get his lead on, as he rears up on his back legs like a horse for a few mins, i get him to sit or stand and wait using clicking and treat, then i get him to move beside me to the gate using click and treat, as he usually yanks my arm off. But once out the gate he pulls. I try turning around and going back which makes him walk at heal, then click and treat as he is walking nice.
He does now get to a point where he will walk fast and as soon as the lead is straightened but not pulling, he turns back to look at me, i think he is knowing if he pulls more i will turn around and go back... but i still turn around and walk back as the lead isnt slack, and click treat him walking nice and try again. Then we get to the point where he will take no more treats off me at all! So i then have to click and say 'good boy' instead of giving a treat.

Am i doing this right, should i not go out the gate but just train him on good behaviour getting ready to go out first, then try training him to walk nice? can i click and say good boy instead of treating? I have tried shop bought treats and cooked sausages and given ham, but he wont take any once we are out and about.
I cannot keep him confined to the garden all day, as he needs a good run over the field to burn some of his springer energy off. Should add, his previous owners had him castrated, maybe they thought it would calm him down, but its didnt! LOL
Any advice moist grateful

Last edited by debbyftm : August 15th 10 at 01:24 PM.
Old August 15th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
andal[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:21:09 +0000, debbyftm wrote:

Am i doing this right, should i not go out the gate but just train him
on good behaviour getting ready to go out first, then try training him
to walk nice?

It is hard to tell not seeing you in action, while click training timing
is essential, if it is wrong then you teaching wrong behavior and/or
confuse the dog.

First of all you should have your dog attention and be more attractive to
dog then surrounding environments. Try to train him without leash in your
yard where there are less distractions.

can i click and say good boy instead of treating?

"click" is a marker, marks behavior, and the treat is a reward for that
behavior. If dog accepts petting as reward you can use touch as a reward.

I have
tried shop bought treats and cooked sausages and given ham, but he wont
take any once we are out and about.

It looks like being out is for him more interesting then being with you.
You may try training while he is hungry, before his meal time.

I cannot keep him confined to the garden all day, as he needs a good run
over the field to burn some of his springer energy off.

You can do that by playing retrieving games inside the garden.

Any advice moist grateful

I recommend you visit this site : http://leerburg.com/

Good luck with the training.
--
thedalpal
Old August 15th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amanda George

"debbyftm" wrote in message

I have adopted a 'springador' from dogs trust, he is 4.
Yeah he has a few litle quirks, like hooking his paw over the lead when
we go out so he is walking/standing on 3 legs, as soon as i have
untangled he does it again, this goes on for a few mins till we get to
the gate!! whats that all about!?

Hello Debby

Did the Dogs Trust have any information about your dog that they could give
you? Maybe he isn't used to going on walks so gets excited as soon as he
sees the lead? Can you maybe put the lead on him a few times on a few
different days without getting ready to go for the walk to see what happens?
Maybe you could put the lead on at other times so that your dog gets used to
being on the lead without going for a walk? Maybe you could train him that
he is only going for a walk when you say "walkies" and let him get used to
being allowed to get excited about going for a walk when you give him that
command? Maybe put his lead on when you answer the door or something like
that and give him the "wait" command or something like that?

I got my bitch (Mitzi) from Evesham Dogs Trust and they gave me as much
information about her as they had and we've been discovering that she is a
really intelligent girl who has already been trained to do lots of things
and just wants praise - she associates an open door with her going out and
about but that's not always the case so we've been using the "stay" command
with her when the door is open and she does it now!

Maybe try different words in case your dog has been trained but using
different words? For example "ow" and "ouch" are the same thing in human
terms but not for our little girl! The same with "no" and "drop" and "wait"
and "good girl" and things like that! It might be the same with your dog?

He also gos beserk when i get his lead, jumps about 5 feet into the air,
i tell him to sit and he does while i put his lead on.

That's great stuff! :-)

Been trying to clicker train him not to pull when i get his lead on, as
he rears up on his back legs like a horse for a few mins, i get him to
sit or stand and wait using clicking and treat, then i get him to move
beside me to the gate using click and treat, as he usually yanks my arm
off. But once out the gate he pulls. I try turning around and going back
which makes him walk at heal, then click and treat as he is walking
nice.

I'm wondering if you are trying to do too many things at once? Maybe try
taking it in smaller steps and get him to do what you want in your house
first, then the garden, then to the gate and only then when you are on the
walk?

He does now get to a point where he will walk fast and as soon as the
lead is straightened but not pulling, he turns back to look at me, i
think he is knowing if he pulls more i will turn around and go back...
but i still turn around and walk back as the lead isnt slack, and click
treat him walking nice and try again. Then we get to the point where he
will take no more treats off me at all! So i then have to click and say
'good boy' instead of giving a treat.

Maybe try changing the treats when you go out and about? For example, try
doggy biscuits or carrots or blueberries or cooked sausage? Things like
that? I'm wondering if he doesn't want the treats after a while on the walk
because you give so many of them to him... think of your own favourite
treat... you don't have it all the time/several times a day do you? :-)

Am i doing this right, should i not go out the gate but just train him
on good behaviour getting ready to go out first, then try training him
to walk nice? can i click and say good boy instead of treating? I have
tried shop bought treats and cooked sausages and given ham, but he wont
take any once we are out and about.

That's kinda what I've been saying! :-) Take it in tiny steps and use
praise as well as treats to reward him?

I cannot keep him confined to the garden all day, as he needs a good run
over the field to burn some of his springer energy off. Should add, his
previous owners had him castrated, maybe they thought it would calm him
down, but its didnt! LOL
Any advice moist grateful

These are just my thoughts so feel free to shove them aside if you want to!
:-)

--
debbyftm