Biting is new behavior

Old August 17th 10, 02:17 AM
Suebee Suebee is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation Biting is new behavior

I hope someone can help me.

Our dog was adopted at about 1 year - he was raised with his litter until 10 months, then had 2 owners in a month - no idea what happened, and then we got him. Quiet but not really shy - terrier mix, whippet personality, shakes when nervous, hides behind us when its new but then comes out to sniff and say hi (maybe apprehensive but not shy?). It took about a year before he would approach men but always great with women, kids, other dogs. Never aggressive.

Fast forward and now he is 6 years old. He now barks when strangers approach the yard but nothing bad. My husband has been deployed a month which I know is a contributing factor, but the dog bit a child who's family was watching him last week. They said the dog was sleeping while the boy and his own dog rough-housed. My dog woke up and bit the child.

At first I thought, surely my dog had to be provoked or bumped or something to cause him to snap since he is so quiet and doesnt snap unless my husband is playing with him - and then its play!

Today (9 days later after the bite) we are home now 4 days and there are new kids living behind us. They were over all day playing and the dog was aware they were here...had met them etc. The kids had to go home and hopped back over the fence but stuck their hands through to pet my dog before bed. My dog SNAPPED at one of them!

I flash back now to an incident two years ago when someone was watching my dog when he snapped at a 4 year old....but this time it was because the child yanked his ears....so we all forgot about it and moved on. Even the people watching him then said he was totally provoked.

SO I am destroyed over this. I know my dog must be upset that my husband has been gone for so long but I dont know what to do about it. We usually leave our dog outside when we are at the store and he is in and out all day. I am afraid the kids are going to come to the fence when I am not home!

Incidentally, the health dept has to come over tomorrow to make sure my dog doesnt have rabies...and to make sure he isnt dangerous. Of course I am worried about THAT now.

Anyone have experience with new aggressions? Or when the owner is away? I have two kids and the dog has ALWAYS been extraordinary gentle with us...my husband is the one who really gets him playing/wrestling etc.

Sorry this is long but I was trying to give all of the info I could. Thanks!
Old August 17th 10, 09:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

Default Biting is new behavior

"Suebee" wrote in message

[...]

I have heard that hypothyroidism can cause sudden atypical aggressive
behavior, so a vet check is a good idea. Other than that, although I'm sure
your dog may miss having your husband in the "pack", I doubt that he is
truly upset by his absense. However, all dogs need a strong leader, as well
as sufficient exercise and discipline before giving affection. Dogs tend to
mirror our feelings, and it is very likely that your own energy may be
changing so he is becoming more insecure. Long structured walks are
important for exercise as well as discipline and socialization. And you must
make sure you do not "feel sorry" for your dog and give him affection when
you are not calm and confident or when he is excited or otherwise not in a
good emotional state.

Good luck!

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old August 17th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:17:14 +0000, Suebee
wrote:

I hope someone can help me.

Our dog was adopted at about 1 year - he was raised with his litter
until 10 months, then had 2 owners in a month - no idea what happened,
and then we got him. Quiet but not really shy - terrier mix, whippet
personality, shakes when nervous, hides behind us when its new but then
comes out to sniff and say hi (maybe apprehensive but not shy?). It
took about a year before he would approach men but always great with
women, kids, other dogs. Never aggressive.

Fast forward and now he is 6 years old. He now barks when strangers
approach the yard but nothing bad. My husband has been deployed a month
which I know is a contributing factor, but the dog bit a child who's
family was watching him last week. They said the dog was sleeping while
the boy and his own dog rough-housed. My dog woke up and bit the child.

Maybe. And maybe not.

At first I thought, surely my dog had to be provoked or bumped or
something to cause him to snap since he is so quiet and doesnt snap
unless my husband is playing with him - and then its play!

Today (9 days later after the bite) we are home now 4 days and there are
new kids living behind us. They were over all day playing and the dog
was aware they were here...had met them etc. The kids had to go home
and hopped back over the fence but stuck their hands through to pet my
dog before bed. My dog SNAPPED at one of them!

According to whom?

I flash back now to an incident two years ago when someone was watching
my dog when he snapped at a 4 year old....but this time it was because
the child yanked his ears....so we all forgot about it and moved on.
Even the people watching him then said he was totally provoked.

SO I am destroyed over this. I know my dog must be upset that my
husband has been gone for so long but I dont know what to do about it.

First, don't let others "watch" your dog, especially anyone with small
children. Second, don't allow him out in the yard when kids are
around. Third, tell the kids that they are no longer allowed to play
with your dog.

You said that your dog is the "quiet" type? Then don't force him to
interact with others, especially kids.

We usually leave our dog outside when we are at the store

Don't do that anymore. Leave your dog inside the house.

and he is in
and out all day. I am afraid the kids are going to come to the fence
when I am not home!

Which is why you should lock him up inside your house when you're
going to be away for short periods of time.

Incidentally, the health dept has to come over tomorrow to make sure my
dog doesnt have rabies...and to make sure he isnt dangerous. Of course
I am worried about THAT now.

Based on your dog's history, your dog was almost certainly not
Socialized properly as a puppy, and that always has consequences.
That, plus a bit of fear-based aggression, makes for dangerous
situations. Situations just like the ones you've described.

If you don't know what I mean by Socialized, google "puppy
socialization".

Anyone have experience with new aggressions? Or when the owner is away?
I have two kids and the dog has ALWAYS been extraordinary gentle with
us...my husband is the one who really gets him playing/wrestling etc.

Your dog is probably okay with your own children, and your family, but
I think it's time to be very, very careful with strangers, especially
small children, and especially when you can't be there to supervise.

He can still be a fine companion dog for your family, but you're going
to have to do more to keep him out of situations where he's likely to
fail. And some good obedience training, whether from a private trainer
or a group class, will do wonders for your dog's confidence, and
yours, too.

And thanks for rescuing him! Don't be like his two previous owners
and give up on him now; just make some simple changes in your
lifestyle and start managing him more carefully.

--
Dogman
Old August 22nd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 8/17/2010 4:08 AM, Paul E. Schoen wrote:

"Suebee" wrote in message

[...]

So can vaccinosis. A recent vaccine can be the cause. Or he might not
have gotten enough socialization when he was younger. All are fixable in
one way or another. Meanwhile don't leave the dog out when you aren't home.