I do NOT need another dog activity!

Old July 19th 03, 09:26 PM
queenmother

Default I do NOT need another dog activity!

So - this weekend there's an Earth Dog thing going on less than an hour from
me. I figure, let's just go and watch. It'll be fun for a couple of hours
and Spenser will get to see some other dogs - which he always enjoys. Nice
morning of "couple time" for me and DH. We'll never get a better chance to
go to one than this.

Turns out they have a class for Intro to Quarry that you can sign up for at
the very last minute. We think, hey it'll be more fun if we actually DO it
rather than just watch - especially since most everything is underground and
you don't really get to see anything as a spectator. So we pay our fees and
find a box tunnel with a right turn in it and practice a few tries tossing
treats and then calling him to the other end. After several searches of the
car, I finally locate not only Spenser's AKC number but eventually the
registered names of his sire and dam.

Finally, it's our turn. Spenser doesn't have the idea of the scent trail
leading from the start line to the tunnel (but after three dozen dogs ahead
of him, half of them marking, it probably was a little distracting). So
they call me up to set him in the depression in from of the tunnel. He
hesitates for about three seconds and ten seconds later is through the turn
and at the rats. The judge called me around to encourage him to attack the
cage and bark and dig. Didn't take too much to convince him that they were
EEVIL and should be destroyed.

The judge said it was the first miniature schnauzer she had seen do it - and
for a first attempt that he did very well. He *was* the only one there. I
had more than one person tell me that he was too pretty to do that stuff.
HAH!

They do it again tomorrow. We have a neighborhood breakfast to go to and
company arriving at our house around noon. But I think we're going to skip
the breakfast, tell our company to get a key from the neighbors and go in
and wait for us while we Go Find Us Some Rats.
--
~~Judy
Owned and entertained by Spenser - the best dog in the world.

Old July 19th 03, 11:12 PM
Jo Wolf

Judy, I almost split laughing at your subject line!!! Ain't it the
truth! But gosh, when those terriers "discover" that rat you feel so
thrilled for your small furperson that he or she Finally gets to try out
what the "job" used to be. And the rats, I swear, are sitting there in
the cage, laughing their fool heads off that that stupid dog thinks
it'll get close enough to do damage. Not!

At least earthdog isn't training intensive, doesn't happen every
weekend, and is a grand social event!

Tell my Border Terrier buddies I said hi!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 19th 03, 11:47 PM
queenmother

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
Tell my Border Terrier buddies I said hi!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

I will pass that on. Since it looks like we *will* be back there again in
the morning after all. I think I'm going to list DH as the handler for
tomorrow. He really wanted to do it - but didn't want to take the fun away
from me.

I gotta tell you - I've never seen so many Border Terriers in one place
before! And PUPPIES!!!! I'm still considering and re-considering a second
dog. Spenser's breeder has a litter due any minute. But I really could
love a BT - no doubt in my mind.

I probably noticed the BTs a little more than I would have because that's
who we hung out with for the morning. A BT from Spenser's agility class was
there - his mom was designated EMT. And Spenser and Grin are buddies. But
I really think it was half the entries - at least in the Intro class.

I think it's a good thing that there are only a handful of trials close
enough to us to consider. IF we were going to do something more. Which we
ARE NOT.

~~Judy

Old July 20th 03, 02:31 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"queenmother" wrote in message
Didn't take too much to convince him that they were
EEVIL and should be destroyed.

The judge said it was the first miniature schnauzer she had seen do it -

and
for a first attempt that he did very well. He *was* the only one there.

had more than one person tell me that he was too pretty to do that stuff.
HAH!

hehehe...You know Judy, the first time I took Bodhi herding,
I was just thinking, "Oh heck, why not just take him & see how
it goes." I never thought that I'd be sitting here, devoting
entire days to herding, a member of *2* herding clubs (one
National level, one local), or having anything to do with sheep
at all...
But, he loved it so much, and seemed to have a talent for it,
so I'm a sucker. I've been *very* busy the last couple of days,
family wedding, my & my husband's busiest time for work
out of the entire year, and all I can think of it, "How can I arrange
time to go herding tomorrow?"

I think though, I'll try to stay near home. There's a local fun
match within 15 minutes of my house. Conformation, obedience,
agility AND rally. I think I'm going to take both Boys, Coda can
maybe do the rally & agility fun runs, and Bodhi can work on
obedience in the crowd. :-) Yay! Fun-filled dog day!
(They deserve it, after being neglected the past 3 days in lieu of
family obligations, they've been SO good for not getting their
normal exercise & attention!)
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 20th 03, 03:02 AM
Stephanie

I've been doing earthdog trials with my westie since April 2002. Her first
time she was "hot" and they told me to definitely bring her back the next
day. Well, can I tell you, she still hasn't earned a single leg towards her
JE title! Hopefully you're dog will keep up the good work but don't get
discouraged if he/she decides "hey, whats the point, I don't get to eat them
anyway!" If you go to http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/digm2/homepage.htm It'll
give you a listing of the local trials around the east coast. We usually go
to NJ and PA but last fall we did drive down to West Virginia for a trial as
well. The people are incredibly nice at the trials....the only thing I don't
like is that you drive for a long time, you sit for a long time waiting for
your turn and it's all over in 30 seconds if your dog doesn't enter the
tunnel! lol

Good luck!
Stephanie

Old July 21st 03, 01:51 AM
queenmother

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message
hehehe...You know Judy, the first time I took Bodhi herding,
I was just thinking, "Oh heck, why not just take him & see how
it goes." I never thought that I'd be sitting here, devoting
entire days to herding, a member of *2* herding clubs (one
National level, one local), or having anything to do with sheep
at all...
But, he loved it so much, and seemed to have a talent for it,
so I'm a sucker

Exactly how we got suckered into agility. Spenser took one look at all
those agility toys and he was like a kid at the McDonald's playground. And
this time the toys are RATS! How cool is that?

We did go back on Sunday morning. The people there were absolutely thrilled
to have their *one* schnauzer back. People we hadn't even seen the previous
day came up and said they had heard about us just showing up and doing it.
This time I let DH be handler - since training dogs to attack and kill stuff
is right up his alley!

There were a lot of people complaining about the judge this time. They said
she was quick to DQ and wasn't very encouraging about their novice dogs. So
I warned DH about the things they said she was hardest on (mostly too much
verbal encouragement) and hoped for the best.

Spenser headed straight for the tunnel. I thought "Wow he's going straight
down!". Then he circled around and thought about marking. A quick "uh-uh"
and he reconsidered that and went right underground. And there were RATS!
They're supposed to "attack" for 30 seconds. He did about 25 and then
backed out.

So - no qualifying ribbon but we were about as close as you can get. When
the judge found out that he had had NO training and it was only his second
time in the tunnel, she was amazed and told DH that we *really* should
pursue it because he really has the instinct.

It was a fun thing to do - always nice to spend the morning hanging around
with dogs and their people - but not something I feel strongly about
repeating. DH however .............. As the judge the day before had said,
it's encouraging our dogs to do the things we usually do allow - get dirty,
bark their heads off and try to kill vermin. A perfect match for an old
"hound man" and the lap dog his wife insists on living with!

There aren't a lot of Earthdog tests around here but it looks like we may be
keeping an eye out for some for next year. And maybe I'll have to contact
the Ithaca group about their occasional training sessions.

And I gotta admit it - it's really fun to surprise people with the stuff a
schnauzer can do. They're kind of like poodles in that respect. People
think of them as prissy little house dogs and they're really tough if they
get the chance!

Old July 21st 03, 01:57 AM
queenmother

"Stephanie" wrote in message
et...
If you go to http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/digm2/homepage.htm It'll
give you a listing of the local trials around the east coast.

Thanks - I'll keep track of that. DH seems to be getting into this idea.

the only thing I don't
like is that you drive for a long time, you sit for a long time waiting

for
your turn and it's all over in 30 seconds if your dog doesn't enter the
tunnel! lol

Sort of like agility - so we're used to that. We drive and then sit around
and then get to do a couple of 45 to 90 second runs. And you can blow them
in the first couple of seconds. But that's the game of it.

And as far as Spenser's concerned, win, lose, Q, NQ - it's all fun and
cookies!

And do you know? There are other DOGS there to visit with! His idea of
absolute heaven!

Old July 21st 03, 02:06 AM
queenmother

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
At least earthdog isn't training intensive, doesn't happen every
weekend, and is a grand social event!

Very much a social event. We've been adopted by the Border Terrier people.
They tell me that Spenser is a Border at heart - just a little out of the
breed standard. I think they *wish* their Borders were Spenser! We came as
close as you can without qualifying in Intro - just a few more seconds at
that rat.......... The judge was very impressed when she learned that it
was only his second time in the tunnel and he had no training.

Tell my Border Terrier buddies I said hi!

Oh yeah - bringing greetings from Georgia got me major brownie points from
Marg! (Even though I *was* attached to a schnauzer at the time.) And I
have no doubt that if I ever really want a Border that she is the place to
start.

Old July 21st 03, 04:53 AM
Sionnach

"dejablues" wrote in message
Cool. Scranton is about 4 hours north of me though. I think Buzz our
Pug-Jack would be very good at this!

Um... I hate to tell you this, but Earthdog is only for AKC-registered and
ILP'd terriers and Dachshunds... and they don't even allow all the terriers
that the AKC "recognizes" (for example, Yorkshire Terriers aren't allowed).

What really sucks about it is that the AKC took the idea for its program
from a group called the American Working Terrier Association, which pretty
much allows all small terrier breeds and dachshunds- regardless of whether
or not the AKC "recognized" the breed- AND allows terrier and dachshund
crosses as long as they're small enough.
But since the AKC took over the idea, it seems as though the AWTA is
fading away; their website only shows two trials for the entire year. :-(

The other venue that's been doing that sort of trial for years is the
JRTCA, but of course they're restricted to Jacks.

What's Wrong with Economics and how can it be Fixed What's Wrong with Economics and how can it be Fixe Dog activities 0 August 20th 04 02:13 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 03:38 AM
New activity, new photos Stafford A. Rau Dog breeds 6 August 18th 03 04:42 PM