Do you shop?

Old July 19th 03, 10:10 PM
Chris Williams

Default Do you shop?

Just got a promo from Foster & Smih, browsed, and realized I don't buy
much pet-shop stuff anymore. I concoct supplements, make their beds and
toys, and most stores don't carry the kibble we've 'graduated' to. Most
pet shop products seem ..... well, ..... naive.
Is this normal progression from being a person who has dogs to being a
dogPerson?

Just because humans are slow and can't smell or hear
very well doesn't mean they don't possess a primitive
type of intelligence.

Old July 20th 03, 12:20 AM
Chris Williams

I'm interested to know how you make
dog beds. Thanks,
Marie

Sure, Marie. Since my dogs aren't heavy chewers, I can use foam
padding or that 'egg-crate' foam people put over their mattress. For
my l'il guy, I cut it to fit a zippered pillow cover. For the big'un, I
cut it to fit child-sized sleeping bags that are plentiful at yard
sales. Easier to remove and wash than dog-bed covers.
I can't sew, so I have to make do with 'found' stuff.
I make these for the shelter dogs, too. Some tear them up, and that's
fine. Gives them entertainment, and they're a snap to replace.

Old July 20th 03, 12:30 AM
Chris Williams

Oh, Marie, ... watching Mac snooze on one as I type. It's a chaise
lounge pad slipped into a little sleeping bag. Fits perfectly, and,
since it's canvas covered, it would resist chewing. If he did it.
Which, of course, Mr. Perfect never does

Old July 20th 03, 01:13 AM
Chris Williams

BTW, again Marie... (you got me goin')
The shelter has accumulated dozens of traveling kennels that come apart
in the middle. They work really well as beds to hold their pads. Easy
to disinfect (important to me since I do the scrubbin'), and I use the
solid bottom half in winter and the ventilated top half in summer.
Since this is 'behavior', it's interesting that some dogs feel the
need to den and some don't. I move a whole kennel in for new dogs that
seem to want seclusion. Others, though, prefer to rest on the mat next
to their beds. I've begged and stolen most of the bath mats in the
city. Invite me to dinner -- I leave with all your bath mats.

Old July 20th 03, 02:16 AM
BethF

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
Just got a promo from Foster & Smih, browsed, and realized I don't buy
much pet-shop stuff anymore. I concoct supplements, make their beds and
toys, and most stores don't carry the kibble we've 'graduated' to. Most
pet shop products seem ..... well, ..... naive.
Is this normal progression from being a person who has dogs to being a
dogPerson?

no, it sounds like you have too much time on your hands Chris vbg

Old July 20th 03, 09:28 PM
Alison

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
Just got a promo from Foster & Smih, browsed, and realized I don't

buy
much pet-shop stuff anymore. I concoct supplements, make their beds

and
toys, and most stores don't carry the kibble we've 'graduated' to.

Most
pet shop products seem ..... well, ..... naive.
Is this normal progression from being a person who has dogs to

being a
dogPerson?

Do I shop ?. Is the Pope catholic?

Half the fun of having pets is the shopping or really window
shopping. I go at least twice a week usually to pet shops attached to
garden centres . Pets at Home I consider a treat .
I examine all the products , read the labels of every thing , sqeak
the toys, smell the hay to see if its fresh , read the notice boards
and write notes . sad ! Can a pet shop have a stalker. LOL

Alison

Old July 21st 03, 11:36 AM
culprit

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
Just got a promo from Foster & Smih, browsed, and realized I don't buy
much pet-shop stuff anymore. I concoct supplements, make their beds and
toys, and most stores don't carry the kibble we've 'graduated' to. Most
pet shop products seem ..... well, ..... naive.
Is this normal progression from being a person who has dogs to being a
dogPerson?

if so, i guess i'm not a dog person. :-)

i love going to the small local pet shops, with the dogs, of course. i'm
not particularly good at crafts and such, but a lot of the smaller, more
holistic oriented dog stores around here have locally made beds and
supplies, so i buy those. i also buy locally made dog treats, and the dogs
can always use a new toy. i don't know what kind of food you use, but the
smaller shops here carry everything from Innova and Wellness to prepared raw
food and whole bones. i feed California Natural, so it's pretty easy to
find.

i don't shop chain stores or catalogues though, i'm very pro-local business,
and catalogues take all the fun out of shopping with the dogs.

-kelly

Old July 22nd 03, 04:47 AM
Supergoof

"Chris Williams" wrote ...
Just got a promo from Foster & Smih, browsed, and realized I don't buy
much pet-shop stuff anymore. I concoct supplements, make their beds and
toys, and most stores don't carry the kibble we've 'graduated' to. Most
pet shop products seem ..... well, ..... naive.
Is this normal progression from being a person who has dogs to being a
dogPerson?

I definitely qualify as a dog person (dog-obsessed, I suspect) and I *love*
browsing the pet stores. Mind you I'm usually bemoaning the fact that I
can't get any treats for Murphy because she can't eat beef, lamb or pork,
but if I had pots of money I could go mad in pet stores, would no doubt buy
tons of toys she'll never play with.

Interestingly, she never used to play with her kong much until I shifted out
from Mum's and she didn't always have a tennis ball to play with. Now we
play fetch with the kong instead.

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 22nd 03, 04:50 AM
Supergoof

"Marie Castellano" wrote ...
"Chris Williams" wrote ...
much pet-shop stuff anymore. I concoct supplements, make their beds and

I'm interested to know how you make dog beds.

Personally, I bought 2 metres each of heavy calico and 2 metres of heavy
corderoy and 2 zips. I made an inner bag which I filled with polystyrene
beads, and the outer bag goes over the top so it's easy to take it off and
wash it when it starts to smell a bit 'doggy'

That worked really well. Lesson from experience: make sure you make the zip
in the inner bag a good length, otherwise filling it with polystyrene beads
is a real pain in the *ss!

)

Rachel
(New Zealand)