Can you get a puppy pre-trained?

Old September 14th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Can you get a puppy pre-trained?

I would like to get a puppy for my elderly parents. They and their
housekeeper would look after it well but would not be able to train it
from scratch. By training, I just mean learning to go outside for
necessities, basic manners, knowing his name and coming when called.
That's all any of our dogs ever learned.

Unfortunately neither I nor my sisters have the means to do this. Is
it possible or desirable to send a puppy to "finishing school" before
presenting it to its ultimate guardian?

On a related note, how important in a practical sense is it to buy a
pedigreed dog? We once bought an unpedigreed chiauau that had so many
ailments I suspected she was grossly inbred. And another little Heinz
57 we had recently died prematurely of god-knows-what. My parents have
no interest in competitions or canine beauty, but does a pedigree or
purchase from a certified breeder significantly reduce the chances of
illness or genetic flaws?

I am sure this group has addressed this questions many times before
but I would be grateful for any comment members can contribute.

Thanks,
Bill King
Old September 14th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:32:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

There is no such thing as a certified breeder. There are lots of
responsible breeders, and there are ways to tell which breeders are
responsible and whic are not. However, I think those are moot points
in this instance because a puppy is really not the ideal choice for
elderly people. If your parents really want a dog, look for an adult
dog from a rescue group. It's not unusual to find rescue dogs that
have had some basic training.

Old September 14th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amanda George

wrote:

[...]

I can only emphasise this paragraph about getting a rescue dog instead of a
puppy for your parents... I don't know about other rescue centres, but we
were able to specify that the dog should be house-trained and likes cuddles
and that's what we got and so much more! Maybe you could look around local
rescue places locally and explain to the staff that you are looking for a
dog that is house-trained and has basic commands that the dog reliably
obeys. JMHO! :-)

Old September 14th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

obeys. *JMHO! *:-)- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your advice. It doesn't quite qualify as a "rescue dog"
if I understand the term correctly, but I have spoken to a breeder who
has been ill and is parting with a couple of young adult Manchester
Terriers. We sort-of have our hearts set on that breed as we had one
when I was a boy. He was Brutus and lived to 18. The lady is asking
$500 and she seems very reputable.

(I did take in a "rescue cat" who is the joy of my life, although
members of this group may not all agree that such a thing is
possible!)

Bill King
Old September 15th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
dejablues[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You can get any number of wonderful trained adult dogs for almost free at
Petfinder.com or a local rescue group. A breeder who is ill and desperate to
get rid of some "young adult" Manchester Terriers (read untrained behavior
problems) wouldn't gouge you for 500 bucks.

Old September 15th 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

problems) wouldn't gouge you for 500 bucks.- Hide quoted text -

I did not get that impression, this lady really interviewed me as to
whether the dog would have a good home and was not at all eager to
sell. She is a reputable breeder in Ontario as far as I can determine
(there are only three or four for this breed) and the Manchester
Terrier is not common and on the pricey side. If it was for me I would
take a risk with a rescue dog, but this is the last dog my dad is
likely to have and I don't want to take any chances, i.e., a dog that
might have been mistreated and therefore became a rescue dog. I think
I will go see her and then think it over. The money is a lot for me
but thinking over the life of a dog, it is a one-time expense and if
it works out I won't mind spending the money. My friends tonight were
telling me it makes no difference if the dog is pedigreed or well bred
(although one mentioned the Scottish Terrier, which I understand is a
breed that has gone disastrously wrong). I am not concerned about
pedigree, just that the dog have a definite history of good care. I
don't know if you can tell that from spending a few minutes with him,
especially if he has been cooped up and desparate for some attention.
Our chiauau (got at 6 weeks old) was very affectionate but developed a
lot of health problems and I wondered if it was because her 1st owner
was just too careless about the bloodline, she was not a real breeder
and her home was like a zoo (monkeys and everything else running
wild). I don't really know, so am interested in what anyone thinks.
Old September 15th 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_2_]

sonofdog wrote:

snip

in many cases rescue dog may have bahavioral and/or health problems so
make sure it was not abandoned for that reasons, breed wise consider that
not all adult dogs bond with new owners as good as puppy would, finally
you want a companion for your parents.

There are no guarantees in life and a puppy may have behavioral or
health problems that only show up with age, but would be discovered by a
reputable rescue group. As to an adult dog not bonding to an owner, it
can happen, but it can also happen with an improperly socialized puppy.
Dogs by nature are very social and the vast majorits puppy or adult bond
very well.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old September 15th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sharon Delarose[_2_]

In article
,
" wrote:

(I did take in a "rescue cat" who is the joy of my life, although
members of this group may not all agree that such a thing is
possible!)

Bill King

Some of us go both ways! I was the original cat lady until my
mid-thirties. I saw cats in a way that most people don't and I trained
them not to jump on counters, etc. My rule was simple: They were
allowed on any furniture I sat, laid down or propped my feet on. All
other furniture was off limits.

My favorite was also the wildest one I ever adopted and the biggest
challenge. Kind of like my dog now, LOL! She's the light of my life as
was that one cat.

He was so cool! I could whistle and he'd either come to get petted, or
stop what he was doing. He knew the difference between the "C'mere"
whistle and the "You better stop that right now!" whistle.

People don't give cats enough credit.

As for the question of the original poster, I agree with the many. It's
better to get a dog that's past his puppyhood. I'd say three years or
older would be much mellower and many rescue dogs are already trained.
You can try to find a rescue in a particular breed, there may be a
rescue group specifically for that breed.

--
Bad Dog Books
http://books.gityasome.com
Old September 15th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sharon Delarose[_2_]

In article
,
" wrote:

Our chiauau (got at 6 weeks old) was very affectionate but developed a
lot of health problems and I wondered if it was because her 1st owner
was just too careless about the bloodline, she was not a real breeder
and her home was like a zoo (monkeys and everything else running
wild).

I've always heard that mixed breeds tend to be healthier. My last dog
was a mixed breed and she lived to be in her mid-teens with almost no
health problems until she was in her last years. I was her third (and
forever) home.

I truly hope that whatever direction you go will be the perfect fit for
your parents! If you come across a dog that you are considering, once
you've been through all the logical arguments with yourself pro and con,
try stepping back quietly, clearing your mind and letting the little
voice from within or on high help the decision along.

With my previous dog from the dog pound, I kept going back to her cage.
Then I'd go look at all the other dogs but find myself back with her.
There was something in her eyes, a calmness and intelligence, that drew
me. She turned out to be the perfect dog for me at that time.

Our dog now was similar. We'd been talking about adopting and while we
weren't pounding the pavement looking, we were open to it. One day we
came across her at the pet store's pet adoption day, sponsored by a
local shelter.

Whereas normally we'd look at all the dogs and think they were cute,
funny, etc. and then move on, for some reason we couldn't seem to bring
ourselves to get in the truck and drive away from this one. We kept
going back to her.

She turned out to be the absolute perfect dog for us at this time, but
unlike the previous one who came to me perfectly trained, Dakota was the
exact opposite and took a LOT of work to get her to our happy place.

Trust your inner voice. It's usually a lot smarter than logic. Give it
a bit of quiet and let it do it's magic. Good luck!

--
Bad Dog Books
http://books.gityasome.com
Old September 15th 10, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:57:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I did not get that impression, this lady really interviewed me as to
whether the dog would have a good home and was not at all eager to
sell. She is a reputable breeder in Ontario as far as I can determine
(there are only three or four for this breed) and the Manchester
Terrier is not common and on the pricey side. If it was for me I would
take a risk with a rescue dog, but this is the last dog my dad is
likely to have and I don't want to take any chances, i.e., a dog that
might have been mistreated and therefore became a rescue dog. I think
I will go see her and then think it over. The money is a lot for me
but thinking over the life of a dog, it is a one-time expense and if
it works out I won't mind spending the money.

A reputable breeder is not necessarily the same as a responsible
breeder. There's nothing wrong with a responsible breeder charging
money for his/her puppies or adults, and $500 is about average for pet
quality pups or young adults in many breeds. Responsible breeders do
health testing in their breeding animals, screen potential homes and
will always take back any animal they've bred if its home can no
longer keep it.

My friends tonight were
telling me it makes no difference if the dog is pedigreed or well bred
(although one mentioned the Scottish Terrier, which I understand is a
breed that has gone disastrously wrong). I am not concerned about
pedigree, just that the dog have a definite history of good care. I
don't know if you can tell that from spending a few minutes with him,
especially if he has been cooped up and desparate for some attention.
Our chiauau (got at 6 weeks old) was very affectionate but developed a
lot of health problems and I wondered if it was because her 1st owner
was just too careless about the bloodline, she was not a real breeder
and her home was like a zoo (monkeys and everything else running
wild). I don't really know, so am interested in what anyone thinks.

Hybrid vigor is a myth. It certainly does make a difference whether
or not a dog is well-bred. Six weeks is too young to take a pup home.
I have no idea what your chihuahua's health problems were or if they
were a result of bad breeding. Breed clubs can provide names of
breeders, and it's up to the potential buyer to separate the good ones
from the bad. A responsible breeder will not sell to anyone sight
unseen and his or her main concern is not the money. A responsible
breeder will have *many* questions for potential buyers about their
lifestyle, dog experience, what the pup or dog's life will be like;
they'll ask for veterinarian and personal references and may do a home
visit or.

Puppy trained in one week! Bill[_2_] Dog behavior 2 August 6th 07 05:11 AM
help! puppy potty trained but doesn't get the poo part chinmom Dog behavior 3 May 5th 06 09:05 AM
trained GSD rescue? Q Dog rescue 15 December 31st 04 02:20 AM
Is your dog is REALLY leash trained? [email protected] Dog behavior 0 December 10th 03 11:17 PM
I never thought I'd have a well-trained cat... Emily Carroll Dog behavior 24 October 23rd 03 06:42 PM