Horrible NC facility

Old September 18th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Horrible NC facility

There has been a terrible facility in the news. It's just south of us and
the local pets areas are filling to the brinks with dogs maltreated who need
homes.

140 or so dogs as well as associated other animals.

I am in line to take at least one. Any advice will be appreciated. We may
be fostering 2 but at least one. I go view tomorrow one set to see which
ones we best meet the needs of.

Old September 18th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote

There has been a terrible facility in the news. It's just south of us and
the local pets areas are filling to the brinks with dogs maltreated who
need homes. I am in line to take at least one. Any advice will be
appreciated. We may be fostering 2 but at least one. I go view tomorrow
one set to see which ones we best meet the needs of.

The facilities are flooded with people but the dogs are still under medical
assessment, not adoptable yet.

With my name now on the list, the place I got Cash from now is able to add
one more. I dropped off 50lbs of blue wilderness food which they will use
for 3 of them that seem to have major skin problems (malnourished, medical
issues, maltreated). They can't afford the really good stuff often and do
the best they can.

The local SPCA also got involved and picked up 19 of them.
BeaglesToTheRescue has 4 and trying to find room for more.

Old September 18th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Wingnut[_2_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
"cshenk" wrote

[...]

That does sound pretty awful. Is there a link to the news story available?

Old September 19th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Wingnut" wrote
"cshenk"

The local SPCA also got involved and picked up 19 of them.
BeaglesToTheRescue has 4 and trying to find room for more.

That does sound pretty awful. Is there a link to the news story
available?

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/norf...doption?cid=mr

Now up to 31. Thats just a local link. This was frontline Google news for
days.

Old September 22nd 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:55:05 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Wingnut" wrote
"cshenk"

The local SPCA also got involved and picked up 19 of them.
BeaglesToTheRescue has 4 and trying to find room for more.

That does sound pretty awful. Is there a link to the news story
available?

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/norf...doption?cid=mr

Now up to 31. Thats just a local link. This was frontline Google news for
days.

Carol, what's the latest on your foster dog? Do you have him/her yet?

Old September 23rd 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Carol, what's the latest on your foster dog? Do you have him/her yet?

Holding pattern. So many have applied, my own health may have others who
are younger and more capable of long walks win out. Thats ok. Taking care
of the pooches is what matters.

I'll post when i know more.

Old September 23rd 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 9/19/2010 1:55 PM, cshenk wrote:
"Wingnut" wrote
"cshenk"

The local SPCA also got involved and picked up 19 of them.
BeaglesToTheRescue has 4 and trying to find room for more.

That does sound pretty awful. Is there a link to the news story
available?

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/norf...doption?cid=mr

Now up to 31. Thats just a local link. This was frontline Google news
for days.

Here is a link that includes some of the hidden camera shots. I could
not watch it all, it's that horrible.

http://www.peta.org/features/profess...s.aspx?c=ptwit
Old September 23rd 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

"cshenk" wrote:

Carol, what's the latest on your foster dog? Do you have him/her yet?

Holding pattern. So many have applied, my own health may have others who
are younger and more capable of long walks win out. Thats ok. Taking care
of the pooches is what matters.

I'll post when i know more.

Well, if they really need you as a foster home, they'll work with your
limitations.

Quite often when there's a situation like this involving a lot of dogs
and media publicity, people who wouldn't normally offer to foster come
out of the woodwork. That's fine, because it's needed in these
situations. But rescue groups always need foster homes, so there
should be plenty of opportunities for you to foster where the
organization won't care how long a walk you can give the dog.

Old September 24th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote:

Carol, what's the latest on your foster dog? Do you have him/her yet?

Holding pattern. So many have applied, my own health may have others who
are younger and more capable of long walks win out. Thats ok. Taking
care
of the pooches is what matters.
I'll post when i know more.

Well, if they really need you as a foster home, they'll work with your
limitations.

Quite often when there's a situation like this involving a lot of dogs
and media publicity, people who wouldn't normally offer to foster come
out of the woodwork. That's fine, because it's needed in these
situations. But rescue groups always need foster homes, so there
should be plenty of opportunities for you to foster where the
organization won't care how long a walk you can give the dog.

Yes, well as of today the plan is looking like the best option is we take 1
of the very elderly dogs which frees a more experienced foster parent to
handle another. There are 2 like that and they'll be bringing Sammy by
tomorrow for an intro.

I haven't met Sammy yet but here's what is known. He's visually impaired
but not blind. Nearsighted perhaps? Doesn't see things far away well. I
never thought of a dog as having that problem but come to think of it, can't
see why not. He's a medium hair 35lb true Heinz-57 believed to be 17 but
may be older. He has arthritis and takes tramadol. He's a very calm fellow
who sleeps alot preferring under a table or in a corner where he can watch
the family. He sleeps with the foster's cats. He gets anxiety attacks in a
crate (his owner died while he was crated and he wasn't found for 2 days).
He occasionally has 'night time accidents' but always by the back door.
They put a puppy pad down there and when he needs to, he uses that at night
now. He won't wake the fosters though he has no problem yipping a little at
the back door during the day.

His current fosters are experienced rehab folks and believe Sammy won't like
the excitement of an active dog (Cash is very mellow) and can't get away
from an aggressive one. He's been with them 6 months and settled in right
away.

With my experience with arthritis in dogs, we are the top pick to re-home
Sammy. Sammy is not dog aggressive nor is Cash so we think this sounds like
a good match.

Since you and others here have fostered before, my ears are open for any
advice!

Old September 24th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

"cshenk" wrote:

[...]

17?!? Wow. So is this a foster-to-adopt arrangment? Although there
are organizations that are quite good at promoting senior dogs -
perfect for people who aren't too active, don't have a lot of time for
housebreaking, training, other dog activities, etc. - a dog that's 17
is going to be hard to place. Which of course is why he's been in his
current foster home for 6 months. Generally those dogs do settle in
quickly, and at the risk of anthropomorphizing, they seem grateful for
whatever you can give them for the remainder of their days.

My best advice to you is don't overthink things and just kind of go
with the flow. At his age, he's not going to do a whole lot. Dogs do
get cataracts, and unless there's other medical information to the
contrary, most likely his vision loss is just due to age. He might be
hard of hearing, too. I can't remember for sure, but it seems to me
your yard is fenced? That will ensure he won't accidentally wander
away. Because of his impaired vision, he may be confused initially by
moving to a new home. Since Cash is a mellow fellow that gets along
with other dogs and your cat is used to dogs, I doubt you'll have
problems with everyone getting along. If he has more problems with
incontinence and/or the pee pads aren't working, belly bands (with
Poise pads or something similar inserted) can be a godsend. How are
his teeth?

My guess is he'll love being with you. Hope everything goes smoothly.

a horrible pet owner??? Thekeeper Dog rescue 4 March 27th 07 01:50 AM
Horrible incident Opinicus Dog behavior 9 May 26th 05 05:19 AM
Horrible experience Lynda Dog behavior 0 September 17th 04 10:02 AM
Horrible experience Lynda Dog behavior 0 September 17th 04 10:02 AM
Horrible experience Lynda Dog behavior 0 September 17th 04 10:02 AM