Should I worry about salmon poisoning?

Old October 13th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie[_3_]

Default Should I worry about salmon poisoning?

Hi,
We were given a lovely Sockeye salmon that my brother-in-law caught while
fishing in the ocean. I mention the ocean as all articles I've read about
salmon poisoning mention brackish streams and beaches. This fish was caught
in deep water. I have the head here, and I was going to give it to Kiba,
but now I wonder if that's wise. Does anyone know more about this illness?
The articles I've found are almost all word-for-word alike, seemingly taken
from the same source.

Thanks, Phyrie

Old October 13th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sonofdog

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:28:09 -0700, Phyrie wrote:

Hi,
We were given a lovely Sockeye salmon that my brother-in-law caught
while fishing in the ocean. I mention the ocean as all articles I've
read about salmon poisoning mention brackish streams and beaches.

this is where the fish gets it from some snails then she goes to deep
water, so I would not share that fish with my dog

Grapeseed oil will do instead, 1 teaspoon twice a week for adult dog of
~50lbs.

This
fish was caught in deep water. I have the head here, and I was going to
give it to Kiba, but now I wonder if that's wise. Does anyone know more
about this illness?

some sources claim it can be deadly

Old October 14th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

On 10/13/2010 5:28 PM, Phyrie wrote:
Hi,
We were given a lovely Sockeye salmon that my brother-in-law caught
while fishing in the ocean. I mention the ocean as all articles I've
read about salmon poisoning mention brackish streams and beaches. This
fish was caught in deep water. I have the head here, and I was going to
give it to Kiba, but now I wonder if that's wise. Does anyone know more
about this illness? The articles I've found are almost all word-for-word
alike, seemingly taken from the same source.

Thanks, Phyrie

Yes!

"Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning.
Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs
that eat certain types of raw fish."

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/salmon.aspx
Old October 14th 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Matt[_3_]

"Phyrie" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

We were given a lovely Sockeye salmon that my
brother-in-law caught while fishing in the ocean. I
mention the ocean as all articles I've read about salmon
poisoning mention brackish streams and beaches. This fish
was caught in deep water. I have the head here, and I was
going to give it to Kiba, but now I wonder if that's wise.
Does anyone know more about this illness? The articles I've
found are almost all word-for-word alike, seemingly taken
from the same source.

Salmon fluke disease is a concern in your area (my ex-area). I
would not feed raw salmon. I'm not sure if this is one of the
references you've already seen, but it's worth reading this
article from 1984:

--Matt.
Old October 14th 10, 10:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie[_3_]

"Matt" wrote in message
"Phyrie" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

We were given a lovely Sockeye salmon that my
brother-in-law caught while fishing in the ocean. I
mention the ocean as all articles I've read about salmon
poisoning mention brackish streams and beaches. This fish
was caught in deep water. I have the head here, and I was
going to give it to Kiba, but now I wonder if that's wise.
Does anyone know more about this illness? The articles I've
found are almost all word-for-word alike, seemingly taken
from the same source.

Salmon fluke disease is a concern in your area (my ex-area). I
would not feed raw salmon. I'm not sure if this is one of the
references you've already seen, but it's worth reading this
article from 1984:

--Matt.

Thanks to all. I've thrown out the fish head. I am now wondering if I
could have given it to Spyder (the cat)!. Erf...

Old October 14th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Matt[_3_]

"Phyrie" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Thanks to all. I've thrown out the fish head. I am now
wondering if I could have given it to Spyder (the cat)!

Good question - I've eaten plenty of raw salmon. I know that it
doesn't cross *my* species barrier.

--
--Matt.
Old October 14th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie[_3_]

"Matt" wrote in message
"Phyrie" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Thanks to all. I've thrown out the fish head. I am now
wondering if I could have given it to Spyder (the cat)!

Good question - I've eaten plenty of raw salmon. I know that it
doesn't cross *my* species barrier.

--
--Matt.

Upon further reading, this illness only affects dogs. Strange.

Salmon Disease C J Campbell Dog health 8 November 7th 07 06:25 PM
Sushi safe for dogs? (Salmon poisoning) A. Brain Dog health 3 May 8th 07 04:10 AM