Dog spay recovery

Old November 5th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Delarose[_2_]

Default Dog spay recovery

Our little energizer bunny woke up frustrated today at being cooped up.
She's full of energy and she wants her normal activities. Spay day was
the day before yesterday so we're very early in her recovery process.

All she got was to be allowed to eat her breakfast in the kitchen rather
than the crate, and to go out for potty.

I did put one of her favored bones in with her for busy work. I have
discovered that if I'm on the first floor with her, she gets frustrated
and wants out of the crate. If I go up to the second floor away from
her, she quiets down and lays quietly.

Also discovered that the STAY command is useful. The first thing she
did this morning was to start jumping up in the cage, jumping around in
there wanting OUT. I told her STAY and she immediately sat down,
quieted down, and waited for me to open the door and put the leash on to
take her out for potty.

The effort I put into teaching her to wait calmly in the crate for the
leash and to be let out is coming in handy right now. It calmed her
right down this morning and stopped her jumping.

What do you guys do for frustrated puppies when you have no way to burn
off the dog energy who need to be kept from running, jumping, etc. while
they heal? Any good tricks you can share to keep them from going stir
crazy? Suggestions welcome!

--
Bad Dog Books
http://books.gityasome.com
Old November 5th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Matt[_3_]

Sharon Delarose said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

What do you guys do for frustrated puppies when you have no
way to burn off the dog energy who need to be kept from
running, jumping, etc. while they heal? Any good tricks
you can share to keep them from going stir crazy?
Suggestions welcome!

Maybe was spayed at 2 years old and seemed to know that she
should rest. She's an active Border Collie who grew up in the
middle of a dog daycare - not normally a good situation after
major surgery.

What I did (I work from home): no cone, lots of watching and
cuddling. In spite of my coddling and interference, she did
fine.

--
--Matt.
Old November 5th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:41:40 -0400, Sharon Delarose
wrote:

What do you guys do for frustrated puppies when you have no way to burn
off the dog energy who need to be kept from running, jumping, etc. while
they heal? Any good tricks you can share to keep them from going stir
crazy? Suggestions welcome!

Almost all my dogs have been speutered as adults, and the last puppy,
Teddy, is a male so activity level isn't quite as critical. But for
bored puppies, stuffed Kongs are always a good idea.

Old November 5th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Delarose[_2_]

In article ,
Matt wrote:

What I did (I work from home): no cone, lots of watching and
cuddling. In spite of my coddling and interference, she did
fine.

--
--Matt.

I work from home part of the week, too. She normally stays in the
office with me and I was thinking to bring her in here today, but opted
against it because it means a flight of stairs. I'm under the
impression that climbing is taboo and stairs = climbing.

As I potty her more often than our adult dog, doing it up and down the
stairs doesn't sound like a good idea yet.

I have gone down several times and just sat with her, petting her and so
forth :-) I let her stay out in the kitchen with me for a short while,
too, while I was doing some cleanup.

I feel like a rat right now but she is resting quietly and I know that
isn't a bad thing. She did settle down once I left the vicinity.

Interesting addition, the vet's office called me to check on her. That
was nice.

--
Bad Dog Books
http://books.gityasome.com
Old November 5th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

"Sharon Delarose" wrote

What do you guys do for frustrated puppies when you have no way to burn
off the dog energy who need to be kept from running, jumping, etc. while
they heal? Any good tricks you can share to keep them from going stir
crazy? Suggestions welcome!

Grin, much like what I do with my older Sammy and Cash! My suggestion would
be a nice walk on a short leash. Someplace not overly exciting but nice
sniffing potential?

Old November 5th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Delarose[_2_]

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

Grin, much like what I do with my older Sammy and Cash! My suggestion would
be a nice walk on a short leash. Someplace not overly exciting but nice
sniffing potential?

Hey you just made me think of something! I'd been pottying her out
front to avoid a full flight of stairs. Not walking her out in public
though as there are too many other dogs that run loose and I don't want
the risk right now so we go out and right back in.

But you reminded me that we can go out the front way with only two
stairs, and go thru the gate to get to the back where I could give her
some leash time outdoors sniffing. I know it sounds like a doodle head
but why didn't I think of that already?

LOL!

--
Bad Dog Books
http://books.gityasome.com
Old November 5th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

"Sharon Delarose" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Grin, much like what I do with my older Sammy and Cash! My suggestion
would
be a nice walk on a short leash. Someplace not overly exciting but nice
sniffing potential?

But you reminded me that we can go out the front way with only two
stairs, and go thru the gate to get to the back where I could give her
some leash time outdoors sniffing. I know it sounds like a doodle head
but why didn't I think of that already?

LOL!

Hehe in my case, if Cash or Sammy needed exercise but not too much
excitement or stress, I'd put on some classical music and the 'Dance' would
start. We use that now so it woudn't be that 'special' but it's enough for
them on rainy days.

amzing prevention & recovery of salivary gland inflammation [email protected] Dog behavior 0 April 29th 08 06:28 AM
prevention and recovery of paralysis apzc18ti[_2_] Dog health 0 April 26th 08 05:55 AM
spay recovery MauiJNP Dog health 2 October 12th 06 09:14 PM
Parvo treatment - what to expect after recovery Judi Dog health 10 October 24th 03 01:33 AM
Parvo treatment - what to expect after recovery Judi Dog health 0 October 21st 03 12:27 AM