Welcome Mabel Anne

Old November 20th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Welcome Mabel Anne

I thought some of ypou may wish to enjoy our newest 4foot member.

http://www.beaglestotherescue.org/mabelanne.cfm

We are fostering through Thanksgiving so that another foster parent can
shift her pups to go visit family. We can't handle her fosters due to
either being anti-cat or too close on the heartworm treatment and untested
with cats (too much excitement for them at this delicate treatment stage) so
we worked it out to take in Mabel Anne. If she works well with the existing
set, she has her forever home. If not though, it makes room to shift some
others.

She's no where near as well fleshed as the picture shows as she's just post
treatment for heartworm so has lost much weight. She's not as skeletal
though as Cash was and she's overall done well on the health score. She's
curled up on a memory foam doggie mattress sized just right for her sleeping
off about 1/3 cup duck broth with bits of duck 'nooner meal'.

Old November 20th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"cshenk" wrote in message

I thought some of ypou may wish to enjoy our newest 4foot member.

http://www.beaglestotherescue.org/mabelanne.cfm

She looks to be a very nice dog. I'm also quite impressed by the depth of
details in this rescue's page devoted to her. It would be good if that could
be done for other rescues and shelters, but most of them are so overworked
and understaffed that just a picture and a brief description is all they
have time and energy for.

I will be shooting some videos and setting up a web page for a very unique
dog rescue that Muttley and I have visited twice. She actually does
rehabilitation for difficult dogs and has separate areas for dogs in various
stages from feral to fully socialized. And the dogs live in packs in outdoor
fenced areas so they can interact normally and run and play. Much healthier
than most rescues where dogs are kept in cages and rarely allowed to run or
even be walked. But it takes special skills, on par with Cesar Millan, to
operate a shelter such as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjI1RJ3vfY

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old November 20th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"P E Schoen" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I thought some of you may wish to enjoy our newest 4foot member.

http://www.beaglestotherescue.org/mabelanne.cfm

She looks to be a very nice dog. I'm also quite impressed by the depth of
details in this rescue's page devoted to her. It would be good if that
could be done for other rescues and shelters, but most of them are so
overworked and understaffed that just a picture and a brief description is
all they have time and energy for.

Most are so overloaded, they can do no more or they lack the skills at web
page updates to do much.

Meantime, she's snoozing behind me on her own memory foam bed we got on the
way home. It was obvious to us her old hips and weight loss means that
would make a major comfort difference and frankly, Sammy barely fits with
Cash and the existing one.

Please excuse me while I spoil another elderly rescue (at 7 for a beagle,
she elderly and she may be as much as 12 which means geriatric levels for
the breed). It's early on and because she's much smaller than Cash, she's
baby gated for now until she's calm about being here. She got home about 5
hours ago. Yes, she's deaf and we are learning to adapt.

Old November 20th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"cshenk" wrote in message

Most are so overloaded, they can do no more or they lack the skills at web
page updates to do much.

That would be a great opportunity for someone to help if they lack the
special skills or physical requirements to handle the dogs directly. Usually
I think people equate helping with doing physical tasks such as cleaning
cages, walking, feeding, or other similar jobs. But even more important in
the long run is to get people to adopt dogs, and a nice web site with
pictures and especially video showing the dog in action with people and
other dogs might be very helpful for promoting adoption.

The rescue where I plan to take video and set up a website is about an hour
drive from here, but the Baltimore County SPCA shelter is only about 15
minutes up the road, and I know the director personally (although he retired
recently). I checked their website and saw only a few pictures of dogs up
for adoption, and I'm sure there are many more.
http://www.mdspca.org/adoption/how.html

So, maybe I can also help them by shooting some video and expanding their
website. There is also a private no-kill shelter that is very close, and
it's where I took Lucky to be adopted in just 5 days. But they have a pretty
good website, although some simple video might help:
http://www.adopt-a-pet.org/availableanimals.html

There are many ways to help homeless animals. I'm glad that you have been
able to take on several dogs with special needs. Good luck with Mabel Anne.

Paul&Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old November 21st 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Nov 20, 5:35*pm, "P E Schoen" wrote:

The rescue where I plan to take video and set up a website is about an hour
drive from here, but the Baltimore County SPCA shelter is only about 15
minutes up the road, and I know the director personally (although he retired
recently). I checked their website and saw only a few pictures of dogs up
for adoption, and I'm sure there are many more.http://www.mdspca.org/adoption/how.html

There is no Baltimore County SPCA. The MD SPCA is in Baltimore City.
The director of the MD SPCA has been someone female (2 different
women, both close friends of mine), since ~1990.
Old November 22nd 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

Sorry, I am referring to the Baltimore County location of the Maryland SPCA,
on Manor Road, as listed on the web page I linked.

There is no such thing. The shelter on Manor Rd is Baltimore County
Animal Control. Not associated with the MD SPCA.
Old November 22nd 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Janet" wrote in message

Sorry, I am referring to the Baltimore County location of the Maryland
SPCA,
on Manor Road, as listed on the web page I linked.

There is no such thing. The shelter on Manor Rd is Baltimore County
Animal Control. Not associated with the MD SPCA.

OK, I guess you are correct. The Manor Road facility was listed on the
mdspca website, however. And I know that the sign says either SPCA or Humane
Society, at least last time was there. And I think I'll stop by there again
soon and see if they can use some help.

Paul and Muttley

Old November 22nd 10, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Nov 21, 8:48*pm, "P E Schoen" wrote:

OK, I guess you are correct. The Manor Road facility was listed on the
mdspca website, however.

As one of many places to obtain a dog license in the area, along with
libraries. Do you think they are "branches" of the MD SPCA too?
Old November 22nd 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Janet" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 8:48 pm, "P E Schoen" wrote:

OK, I guess you are correct. The Manor Road facility was listed on the
mdspca website, however.

As one of many places to obtain a dog license in the area, along with
libraries. Do you think they are "branches" of the MD SPCA too?

No, of course not. But they were listed as a place for adoptions. And, as I
said, the sign says either SPCA or Humane Society. I am well aware of the
Maryland SPCA on Falls Road, of course, and the Baltimore County Humane
Society (www.bmorehumane.com). Plus the BARCS shelter downtown, where
Muttley and Lucky were rescued from certain euthanasia. And there is also
Defenders of Animal Rights, where I took Lucky to be rehomed when I realized
that I could not give her a good forever home.

I want to help in any way I can, within my abilities. That might be by
taking video and highlighting adoptable dogs in action with other dogs and
people. The rescue in Frederick County where I have taken Muttley a couple
times for socialization is called CASA. She has a unique setup where packs
of dogs may run free in large fenced areas. It takes a lot of skill to
rehabilitate and socialize these dogs so that they can be trusted to
interact safely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjI1RJ3vfY.

Paul and Muttley
www.youtube.com/PaulAndMuttley

Old November 22nd 10, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie[_3_]

"P E Schoen" wrote in message ...

snip of stuff

She has a unique setup where packs of dogs may run free in large fenced
areas. It takes a lot of skill to rehabilitate and socialize these dogs so
that they can be trusted to interact safely.

Will someone please explain to me why you would ever want your dog to
congregate in a pack? Why would anyone find it important that their pet dog
feel comfortable running with a bunch of strange dogs? Around here, one dog
running around loose MIGHT not be noticed, but if it's two or more, they are
likely to be shot as deer runners. I don't need my dog to be friends with a
bunch of dogs. I need him to be friends with ME. And he is. That might be
why he stays home. What a concept.