Walking dog

Old December 18th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mr Pounder

Default Walking dog

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier.
She wants for nothing.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk.
She used to have a collar and lead, now we use a harness and lead.
No problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting to the end
of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes, I know all
about dogs needing to sniff.
On the way home she gallops back.
The walk is becoming a task rather than a pleasure.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong - if anything.

Help me out anybody????

Steve

Old December 18th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Mr Pounder" wrote

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk.
No problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting to the end
of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes, I know
all about dogs needing to sniff.

How near are you to a large road? Cash won't walk at the same time as the
school bus runs and we live right by a middle school. The only thing else i
can think of is something big and scarey to her. Like a big male peeing
right there along your route that she's scared of? Dunno what else it could
be.

Old December 18th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sonofdog

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:36:56 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier. She wants for nothing.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk. She
used to have a collar and lead, now we use a harness and lead. No
problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting to the end
of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes, I know
all about dogs needing to sniff.
On the way home she gallops back.
The walk is becoming a task rather than a pleasure.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong - if anything.

Help me out anybody????

Steve

Was there a ownership changed ? if yes how long ago ?
Have anyone else then you attempted to take her for a walk ?

Did she go for a walk with a collar ? if yes put it back on,change to
harness when some distance away from home and try to continue (is harness
fitting comfortably?)

How she is behaving inside home ? Any changes to her daily routine/
schedule and/or feeding ?

Try to change walking route and make it a fun, maybe play the way you do
inside.

Crate for some time before intending to go for a walk.

Any recent bad experiences while walking ? Any environment/weather
changes ? (she does hurry up to get back home)

How about a car ride to nearest park and walk there ?

Old December 18th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier.
She wants for nothing.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk.
She used to have a collar and lead, now we use a harness and lead.
No problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting
to the end of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes,
I know all about dogs needing to sniff.
On the way home she gallops back.
The walk is becoming a task rather than a pleasure.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong - if anything.

Help me out anybody????

I have no experience with puppies, but I have heard of various developmental
stages where behavior can change suddenly.

There is a Fear Imprint stage at 8-11 weeks. Did anything scary happen
during that time?

There is a Social Dominance testing phase at 10-16 weeks.

At 4-8 months (where your dog fits exactly) there is a Flight Instinct
period coinciding with puberty where various behavior changes may occur.

At 6-14 months is a second fear period.

I found this on: http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Dev...talStages.html
Check it out for more details. Also, make sure there are no veterinary
health issues (or environmental factors such as thorns) that might cause
discomfort on the footpath.

You may also consider if you are subconsciously expecting this problem,
which your dog will pick up and react to. Make sure you maintain a calm
assertive attitude, and try to simply walk through the transition area where
the fearful or uncooperative behavior occurs. Also, you might try making
sure your pup focuses on you during this transition. It might help to hold a
treat close to your face ("watch me") and hold the pup's attention for a
while as you proceed from the driveway to the footpath.

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old December 18th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mr Pounder

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk.
No problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting to the
end of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes, I know
all about dogs needing to sniff.

How near are you to a large road? Cash won't walk at the same time as the
school bus runs and we live right by a middle school. The only thing else
i can think of is something big and scarey to her. Like a big male peeing
right there along your route that she's scared of? Dunno what else it
could be.

No main road to speak of.
We "walk" a reasonable distance in a quiet and differant area.

Taa for the input.

Steve

Old December 18th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mr Pounder

"sonofdog" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:36:56 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier. She wants for nothing.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk. She
used to have a collar and lead, now we use a harness and lead. No
problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting to the end
of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes, I know
all about dogs needing to sniff.
On the way home she gallops back.
The walk is becoming a task rather than a pleasure.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong - if anything.

Help me out anybody????

Steve

Was there a ownership changed ? if yes how long ago ?
Have anyone else then you attempted to take her for a walk ?

Puppy from 10 weeks old.

Did she go for a walk with a collar ? if yes put it back on,change to
harness when some distance away from home and try to continue (is harness
fitting comfortably?)

I will give the collar a try.

How she is behaving inside home ? Any changes to her daily routine/
schedule and/or feeding ?

Very clingy, she really does not like to be left alone. She has always been
like this.
No changes to her routine etc.

Try to change walking route and make it a fun, maybe play the way you do
inside.

I take her different walks, no change in her not wanting to go.

Crate for some time before intending to go for a walk.

Crate?

Any recent bad experiences while walking ? Any environment/weather
changes ? (she does hurry up to get back home)

No bad experiences, but yes, she rushes home.

How about a car ride to nearest park and walk there ?

She will trot along side us; no running wild.

Steve

Old December 19th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

We have a 6 month old West Highland Terrier.
She wants for nothing.
The problem is that she don't seem to like going out for a walk.
She used to have a collar and lead, now we use a harness and lead.
No problem with putting the harness on, no problem with getting to the end
of the driveway.
The problem is that I have to drag her down the footpath and yes, I know all
about dogs needing to sniff.
On the way home she gallops back.
The walk is becoming a task rather than a pleasure.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong - if anything.

Help me out anybody????

Steve

I'd take her to a basic obedience class. You can't go wrong with this
- obedience can give confidence to timid dogs, she'll learn leash
manners as well as other basic commands, and obedience work
strengthens the bond between dog and human.

Old December 19th 10, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sonofdog

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:09:10 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

"sonofdog" wrote in message
[...]

if there are no changes in her behavior at home then it maybe fear factor,
read the link given by Paul. Contact breeders and/or other owners of that
breed and ask them.

Also have her checked by vet for injuries, dogs are very good at hiding
them.

Try to change walking route and make it a fun, maybe play the way you
do inside.

I take her different walks, no change in her not wanting to go.

Crate for some time before intending to go for a walk.

Crate?

that may create some boredom, walk would be more enjoyable

Any recent bad experiences while walking ? Any environment/weather
changes ? (she does hurry up to get back home)

No bad experiences, but yes, she rushes home.

How about a car ride to nearest park and walk there ?

She will trot along side us; no running wild.

in the park ? (I did not mean to make her run beside car)
was she running wild before during walks ? if so and she is not anymore I
would definitely have her checked by vet.

Old December 19th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Lots of the reponses so far are poking at zebras..... the unusual. Not
the common.

A GOOD obedience class, not one at the big box pet store, is a great
"cure". Ask the staff at your vet clinic for a referal.... they know
who the Good intructors are in your area. Some communities will have
classes beginning in Early January, so ask now and contact the training
source ASAP. In other communities they won't start classes until
around March.... largely depending on facilities and weather.

It's hard for me to picture an adolescent terrier not being so curious
that it DRAGS the owners in it's rush to see the world.... but it can
happen, and is also "cured" with a good obedience class.

So here's a thought about a method you can try for now. You're going to
make walking irresistable. Using a long wooden or heavy plastic cooking
spoon, or a backscratcher, or even a dowel rod or yardstick. And peanut
butter or cheese spread/squirt cheese. Introduce little Madam the Queen
to pb and to cheese spread in home in the house, without collar or
harness. TAH_DAAAH! She'll love both of them! She'll follow them
anywhere! Put a generous glob on the end of the device (or in the hand
of the backscratcher), hold down beside your leg at dog-head level and
start walking.... house and yard, with leash fastened to what ever, but
not pulling on her. Head down to the main sidewalk and DO NOT PAUSE!
Expect her to go with you. Get her at least a few yards away on that
main walkway before you pause to restock the holder with the good stuff
if necessary (If she jumps up and down, ignore). Shoot for 20 yards.
Turn around, restock and return home, whilte she still wants more
goodie, PREVENTING her from dashing for the house by keeping her beside
you with the good stuff.

The squirt cheese can fits nicely in a pocket. Peanut butter or cheese
spread get a few spoonsful stuffed into a small zip top baggie with one
corner cut off to let you squeaze it out. Some camping stores carry
empty plastic squeeze tubes that you can fill yourself......

Once she is following the goodie stuff, you start lifting it out of
easy reach for a few yards, then dip it down for her to get a quick
taste, and lift back up, but you are going to keep moving.
I'll bet that within the week, you'll be able to leave the holder device
at home and now and then bend over and give her a lick off your fingers
because she's being such a good girl.

If the walks aren't buried under snow and NO melting chemicals are in
use, you'll soon be able to lightly toss a peanut-size piece of treat
out front of you so it lands about as she reaches it..... Increase
space between tossed treats. She can start exploring beside the walks
any time yuo want to permit it.

You keep her close to you when headed home the same way. Within two
weeks you will no longer need any food crutches to take a walk.

Today is the first day of the rest of her life. Forget about the past.
Move forward. She does not need psychoanalysis. She needs to go with
you because you said so and because you will make it "good" and you
Will keep her safe. Keep our voice light and happy. Praise her when
she does what you want and ignore what you don't want. She will quickly
discover that taking walks is Fun because you're there.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old December 19th 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mr Pounder

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks to everybody.
It is looking like the obedience class; I would never have thought of this.

Steve

walking a dog Aaron111 Dog activities 0 March 21st 08 11:15 PM
need help with dog walking lmj_31 Dogs - general 1 October 20th 06 04:21 AM
need help with dog walking lmj_31 Dog rescue 1 October 20th 06 04:21 AM
need help with dog walking lmj_31 Dog breeds 1 October 20th 06 04:21 AM
walking katiel Dog behavior 2 August 3rd 06 05:28 AM