Front Door Crazy

Old July 22nd 03, 04:22 AM
L. Colby

Default Front Door Crazy

Door bell rings.....delivery man or woman or whatever....neighbor......my
two Lhasa's are going ballistic......I can't open the door for fear of them
attacking or just plain running out in to the street. So it takes me a
while to gather them up and put them somewhere. Any suggestions to stop
this behavior?

Old July 22nd 03, 04:28 AM
Tricia9999

Door bell rings.....delivery man or woman or whatever....neighbor......my
two Lhasa's are going ballistic......I can't open the door for fear of them
attacking or just plain running out in to the street. So it takes me a
while to gather them up and put them somewhere. Any suggestions to stop
this behavior?

Desensitize them to the doorbell. Ring it a lot or tape record the ringing and
play it back a lot. Teach them that the sound of the doorbell is a cue to run
to their beds and wait for a good toy or treat or praise. Or teach them that
the doorbell means run to the other room and you can close the door.
Old July 22nd 03, 02:12 PM
Shannon

Give them something to DO when the doorbell rings. We trained Guinness to
go to the kitchen when he hears Ding-Dong.

Do it with treats - a partnerr stands outside ringing the doorbell, and you
are inside with a bag of liver treats. You hear the bell, say cheerfully,
"Go to the kitchen" (or wherever), lead them there, and reward them for
going there. Use a baby gate, if necessary, to make them stay there until
they get the message. Make it a positive thing, and they will be happy to
do it.

-Shannon