Quiz

Old February 5th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sonofdog

Default Quiz

http://www.writedog.com/quiz.html
Old February 5th 11, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"sonofdog" wrote in message ...

http://www.writedog.com/quiz.html

I got a score of 17/25 correct on the first try, which is:

16-20 CORRECT - You have a lot of knowledge, but could dig up a few more
facts.

Some of these were rather obscure, or pretty much irrelevant to most
"casual" dog owners who are not interested or involved in conformation,
trivia, or rare breeds.

How many people on this forum know the answers to these:

QUESTION 5. The original two groups in conformation were (should I care?)
QUESTION 9. CDX stands for (I got this right on the first try, although I
only picked the most logical choice of 3)
QUESTION 16. PBGV stands for (and it's not a pit bull-golden-vizsla!)
QUESTION 20. SPIT DOGS were called that because (this was interesting
trivia, but hardly an important part of dog knowledge)
QUESTION 24. Dogs whose coats are predominantly white are more prone to be
(I never heard of that correlation)

OK, "experts", show me what you got. Be honest now. You too, Dogman and
sonofdog.

Paul and Muttley.

Old February 5th 11, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:50:25 -0500, "P E Schoen"
wrote:

"sonofdog" wrote in message ...

[...]

I didn't get 5, but I knew the rest, thanks for asking.

Let me guess: anything you don't know isn't important or relevant,
right?

Old February 5th 11, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message

I didn't get 5, but I knew the rest, thanks for asking.

Let me guess: anything you don't know isn't important
or relevant, right?

In this case, yes. The ones I did not know have no relevance or importance
to me and knowing them would not benefit me or my dog or anyone else for
that matter, unless you consider knowledge of trivia to be useful. Do you
know that the voltage per cell of a lead-acid storage battery is as high as
it is because of relativistic effects? Is it important for you to know that?
I find that fact much more interesting and important than the trivia items I
missed.

BTW, when I took the test again I got all correct. So that means I learned
something. But I don't consider these factoids important.

Now let's stop sniping and focus on dogs, shall we?

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old February 5th 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 02:54:52 -0500, "P E Schoen"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
.. .

I didn't get 5, but I knew the rest, thanks for asking.

Let me guess: anything you don't know isn't important
or relevant, right?

In this case, yes. The ones I did not know have no relevance or importance
to me and knowing them would not benefit me or my dog or anyone else for
that matter, unless you consider knowledge of trivia to be useful. Do you
know that the voltage per cell of a lead-acid storage battery is as high as
it is because of relativistic effects? Is it important for you to know that?
I find that fact much more interesting and important than the trivia items I
missed.

No, because I have no interest in that subject matter. However, I am
interested in all things dogs.

BTW, when I took the test again I got all correct. So that means I learned
something. But I don't consider these factoids important.

Heh. That just means you remembered the correct answers from the
first time.

Now let's stop sniping and focus on dogs, shall we?

But we were. The quiz was all about dogs.
Old February 5th 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Dogman" wrote in message

But after spending five years here and still not really
understanding what R- or P- are,

Of course I understand. I simply typed it incorrectly, then went back and
corrected it. Probably most PPers and certainly most VS worshipers (and
occasionally, VS herself), use the term incorrectly. Even the website is now
www.positively.com. But don't dare talk about P+.

BTW, when I took the test again I got all correct.

Then maybe, but just maybe, you're now ready to appear on
the TV show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader."

So, what score did you get on the test? Ashamed to say? Heh...

Paul and Muttley

Old February 5th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message

No, because I have no interest in that subject matter.
However, I am interested in all things dogs.

Well, I have a much wider range of interests, then, including the more
important information about dogs that may actually be of practical
application. I don't need (or want) to know what an obscure alphabetization
of a rare breed means. Or the history of conformation. Muttley conforms to
the breed standards of Mutt. Good enough for me.

OTOH, I find it odd that you would not be even a little bit interested in a
scientific factoid that explains the "mystery" of why a lead-acid battery
produces 12 VDC from just six cells. If not for the relativistic effect,
you'd need a much larger battery, or you would not be able to start your
car. THAT is important, yes? BTW, here are links:
www.newscientist.com/article/dn19978-car-batteries-run-on-relativity-html
(In layman's terms)
http://arxiv4.library.cornell.edu/PS...008.4872v1.pdf
(In "geek speak")

This was presented in sci.electronics.basics, which is a good place to learn
about what's "under the hood" of various technological items we use every
day. And it would be on-topic, and useful to you and Dogman, to ask what
sort of voltage and current is produced by an electronic training collar.
What frequency, or DC? Duration? Waveform? Modulation? How many oscillations
per second for the vibrate mode? Is there an ideal frequency? Do various
breeds respond best to different levels of intensity and duration?

I would think anyone who is interested in "all things dog" would either
know, or be motivated to find out, the answers to these questions. Much more
important than knowing what a PBGV breed is. Did you know? Is that valuable
or useful? Or is it just a bit of trivia you can use to amaze others and
dazzle them with your brilliance?

Do you know what PWM stands for? What is a Joule, and how does it apply to
shock collars or electric fences? How do electronic fences work? Could you
understand if I told you, or would it be just technogeekspeak to you? Would
there be any sort of canine knowledge you could tell me, that I could not
understand?

BTW, when I took the test again I got all correct. So that means I
learned something. But I don't consider these factoids important.

Heh. That just means you remembered the correct answers
from the first time.

But now I know those things. As most trivia, it is simply a matter of
memorizing, and not understanding. An "idiot savant" could memorize the
contents of a phone book, yet not understand how POTS works, although s/he
could be taught what that alphabetization means. Do you know? Ask your
Verizon tech. S/he should know, and so should you, IMHO. And an
understanding of that might be important if you had an emergency where the
phone was smashed and all you had was the four wires of a live phone line.
Yes, you can dial 911 that way, without a phone. Do you know which pairs of
wires will work (they are YGRB)? Are you interested in learning that fact?
Is it more useful than knowing what a "Spit" dog is?

Now let's stop sniping and focus on dogs, shall we?

But we were. The quiz was all about dogs.

But you made it about the value of certain bits of information, and in the
form of condescension. THAT is a flame.

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old February 5th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 15:31:33 -0500, "P E Schoen"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
.. .

No, because I have no interest in that subject matter.
However, I am interested in all things dogs.

Well, I have a much wider range of interests

[...]

Then please do us all a favor and explore *them,* instead of coming
here each day and dazzling us with your pretentions and ignorance.

Do it for the dogs.

--
Dogman
Old February 5th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:45:05 -0500, "P E Schoen"
wrote:

"Dogman" wrote in message
.. .

But after spending five years here and still not really
understanding what R- or P- are,

Of course I understand.

Nothing you say here indicates that you do.

--
Dogman
Old February 5th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sonofdog

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:31:33 -0500, P E Schoen wrote:

What is a Joule, and how does it apply to
shock collars or electric fences?

joule \joule\ (j[=oo]l), n. [From the distinguished English
physicist, James Prescott Joule (1818-1889).] (Physics.)
A unit of work which is equal to 10^7 ergs (the unit of
work in the C. G. S. system of units), and is equivalent to
one watt-second, the energy expended in one second by an
electric current of one ampere in a resistance of one ohm;
also called the absolute joule. It is abbreviated J or j.
The international joule is slightly larger, being 1.000167
times the absolute joule. The absolute joule is approximately
equal to 0.737562 foot pounds, 0.239006 gram-calories (small
calories), and 3.72506 x 10^-7 horsepower-hours, and
0.000948451 B.t.u. --HCP61
[1913 Webster +PJC]

now use it and calculate how much food Muttley needs,dog abuser

Celebrity Pet Quiz Suja Dog behavior 71 May 8th 08 05:38 AM
Art Quiz Judith Althouse Dog behavior 1 April 29th 08 11:28 AM
Dog Breed Quiz Suja Dog breeds 22 March 2nd 05 09:20 PM
Dog Breed Quiz Suja Dog behavior 3 February 24th 05 06:28 PM
Breed Quiz Suja Dog behavior 0 October 27th 04 09:14 PM