Bare Floor Solutions at Work

Old July 22nd 03, 02:22 PM
Leah

Default Bare Floor Solutions at Work

I finally gave up and took out the rubber floor mats we had in our training
area. They were impossible to keep clean. Anything short of solid waste would
get into the little cracks and crevices, and the only cleaning stuff we're
allowed to use wouldn't touch it. And they're too heavy to roll up, drag
outside, rinse off and replace.

I need something to put down on the floor, though, to stop the dogs from
sliding. It's slippery enough that they have trouble holding a sit. I'm also
not happy watching them lose their footing when they run and play.

I can get a decent-sized berber rug for $10-$13 at my local dollar store. I
almost bought one yesterday. I hefted one of the bigger ones (5 x 6), and it's
light enough to take out back between classes and shake off, or even rinse off
and let sun dry. Probably two of them would cover most, if not all, of the
training floor.

Here's the problem... one of the store managers said NO, a rug won't work, it
will get too filthy-looking too quickly.

What do you think? If a rug would work, what would be the best type? (I'm not
above going to rug stores and begging scraps. :} What colors would hide the
fur and stains best? I was a little reluctant to get the berber anyway because
I could envision little running claws getting caught in it.

And if not a rug, do you have any other suggestions? Something lightweight yet
not slippy/slidey, easy to remove, clean and replace.

And cheap. I may end up having to pay for it myself. Like the enzyme cleaner
I'm going to have to buy if I end up with a rug or something that stains
easily, and use on the sly. Why we're not allowed to use it in the store is a
mystery to me. One of those corporate thangs.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:55 PM
bentcajungirl

Leah,
I am sure the rug issue is a liability thing. Slip and fall, humans, is
probably the most litigated "injury"
Perry
bentcajungirl
"dianne marie schoenberg" wrote in message
Leah -OFF wrote:
I finally gave up and took out the rubber floor mats we had in our

training
area. They were impossible to keep clean. Anything short of solid waste

would
get into the little cracks and crevices, and the only cleaning stuff

we're
allowed to use wouldn't touch it. And they're too heavy to roll up, drag
outside, rinse off and replace.

Standard care for ring mats is to sweep lengthwise at the end
of the day, clean off spots as necessary with a spray bottle
containing diluted solution of bleach and a paper towel (I guess
you could use a scrub brush to get in the cracks if you want),
and get them washed down with a pressure washer every year or
two. Yes, they do get somewhat dusty-looking after a while,
but they are durable and provide good footing for the dogs.

Dianne

Best Home Base Work Reynard Dog breeds 0 November 10th 04 01:53 AM
Blood work prior to lump removal Ar Fai Ve Dog health 1 August 13th 04 10:11 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 04:38 AM
Dogs eat everything when at work, help Elizabeth Dog rescue 2 October 24th 03 05:22 AM
Dental work prices for rescue dog? crosem Dog health 3 August 24th 03 02:38 AM