"submissive" dogs as targets?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:21 PM
EmilyS

Default "submissive" dogs as targets?

A fellow agility competitor told me that my dog had "snapped at" her
dog while we were both waiting in line. She said this often happens
to her dog, because she's submissive.

Is this plausible? I know that there are certain apparently
inoffensive dogs that become targets for other dogs. But do other
dogs commonly behave aggressively toward submissive dogs? Commonly
enough for this owner to observe it as a pattern?

In the case of my dog, I was surprised on two accounts: 1) I've never
seen her act aggressively towards a submissive dog and 2) when she
DOES act aggresively, she's not silent about it.

There is of course, another explanation: her dog is NOT submissive,
but behaving in some ways that other dogs find offensive, but which
the owner doesn't recognize as such.

But I can't say one way or the other, until the next trial when I have
a chance to observe her dog.

Opinions?

EmilyS
Old July 22nd 03, 05:29 PM
Suja

EmilyS wrote:
But do other
dogs commonly behave aggressively toward submissive dogs? Commonly
enough for this owner to observe it as a pattern?

I don't know about acting aggressively. Khan is a 'high on the totem
pole' kind of dog, and he doesn't like overly submissive dogs. The ones
that crawl between his legs, licking his muzzle and rolling over on
their belly are generally told to buzz off. No teeth, and no snapping,
just sort of a 'row, row, row', which is more of a 'go away, you pest'
than anything else.

Suja
Old July 22nd 03, 10:22 PM
peejoe

"EmilyS" wrote in message
om...
A fellow agility competitor told me that my dog had "snapped at" her
dog while we were both waiting in line. She said this often happens
to her dog, because she's submissive.

snip......
Opinions?

EmilyS

If her dog wasn't acting overly submissive like Suja describes, then I
think there's something more going on. Maybe her dog doesn't act in an
aggressive manner that she notices but gives dirty looks and body language
that other dogs take offense to.
IMO, a truly submissive dog just minding it's own business wont get
bothered unless it meets a dog that's just plain crazy dog aggresive.

-Jenn

Old July 23rd 03, 02:17 AM
EmilyS

"Andrea" wrote in message .. .
"Suja" wrote
snip
I don't know about acting aggressively. Khan is a 'high on the totem
pole' kind of dog, and he doesn't like overly submissive dogs. The ones
that crawl between his legs, licking his muzzle and rolling over on
their belly are generally told to buzz off.

Mine do that too, and they will also snap occasionally which IMO is still
not "aggressive". Really overtly submissive dogs bug the heck out of them.
My truly dominant dogs will just tell them to get away. Snaps are effective
for this. My bully (this refers to 'tude, not breed!) dog seizes the
opportunity to be a jerk and will get pretty domineering if we don't
intervene quickly.

We have one dog on the block that will roll over and pee simultaneously. It
really grosses my guys out. At first I thought my dogs would like her,
but.... Nope.

you guys are making good points.
In fact, I don't know what behavior the owner is calling submissive.
But it can't be as dramatic as rolling over, peeing or licking my
dog's muzzle. I would have been aware of anything like that.

EmilyS
Old July 23rd 03, 04:57 AM
Andrea

"Melanie L Chang" wrote
snip
And he, feeling uncomfortable, responds in the way uncomfortable dogs do,
thereby securing his status as Dog Nerd.

LOL

I'm sorry Melanie, but I am now picturing poor Solo with a pocket protecter
and horn rimmed glasses.

Emily, if you haven't read this: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
There's a "submissive" sheltie described in the article that might be
similar to the dog in question.

--
-Andrea Stone, wears faux tortois shell glasses
Saorsa Basenjis

Old July 23rd 03, 11:32 AM
Chris Jung

I can remember two submissive dogs who were "targets": one was a boxer named
Kiko the other a Golden. Even as adults they both did that puppyish
solicitation for attention (wiggling, in-you-face with lots of face licking
and maybe some pawing). They were both way too intense about it. They
couldn't just say Hi - their body language was overblown and the didn't seem
to know how to do anything else. It was "pushy submissive puppy" behavior if
that makes any sense.

If told to cool it by another dog, both Kiko and the Golden intensified
their efforts with additional submissive behaviors. I remember Dino, my
easygoing playful smooth collie even got extremely annoyed with Kiko the
boxer.

Kiko the boxer to Dino: "I am nothing, I am lower than you, See I'm RIGHT
HERE and lower than you, did you catch that I'm lower than you, I humbly bow
before you, you are wonderful and I am nothing, See, I'll show you how
submissive I am, Hey look at me and see how low I am" (on and on).

Dino to Kiko: "Yes, you are lower than me, I got it, it's no big deal, lets
go check out that interesting smell over there"

Kiko: YES, I am lower than you, it so true, let me show you, I'm low, low
low, SEE! I'll show you even more way that I can bow before you! (on and on)

Dino: STOP IT! I got it and now STOP IT. For goD's sake lets do something
else!

Kiko: Oh Dear! Your mad at me, See I'm sorry, So Sorry, Sorry Sorry, I'm so
low and sorry. I'll show you how sorry I am. (on and on)

Dino: "GET AWAY FROM ME!"

Chris, her cool smoothies and one scruffy puppy,
Zeffie, Pablo & Bode

Old July 23rd 03, 04:29 PM
DogStar716

. She said this often happens
to her dog, because she's submissive.

I had a very dog aggressive dog at one time. Submissive dogs were her favorite
prey.

Dogstar716
Come see Gunnars Life: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/index.html