GET OUT OF THE GARBAGE!!!!!

Old July 22nd 03, 10:37 PM
Suja

Default GET OUT OF THE GARBAGE!!!!!

Shelley wrote:

ideas? What have you tried?

Haven't had to try anything myself, but generally, putting it out of
reach is the best solution. That could mean on the countertop, inside a
cabinet or a closet. The other option is to booby trap it (with
something noisy, for example) and hope that the aversive will work.

Suja

Old July 22nd 03, 10:56 PM
Stafford A. Rau

"Shelley" writes:

What have you tried?

We keep our kitchen garbage can in the cupboard under the sink, but
had to put in some "baby-proofing" cupboard locks when our dog learned
to open the cupboard door.

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old July 22nd 03, 11:49 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:28:50 GMT, "Shelley"
wrote:

Hi there... I know that I can't be the only one with this problem...

We've finally gotten to a point where when I'm at work for 3 hours a day we
can leave Rusty (our 2 1/2 year old doxie) out of his room and let him have
free roam of the house. The only thing he gets into now is the garbage. It
doesn't matter if it has yummy leftovers in it or if it is completely
empty - he gets into it every time we leave it on the floor where a garbage
belongs.

What we've tried...
We bought a hook and eye and put the eye in the garbage can and the hook in
the cupboard next to it at the top so that it could be tied to its spot.
When we got home that day, the lid was on the floor and the garbage bag was
strewn around the kitchen and living room.

We've been putting the garbage can up on the counter but really that's not
an ideal situation.

This morning my hubby got a brick and put that in the bottom of the can and
put the garbage bag in over it. It worked today but I'm dubious because
nothing else has worked. If it doesn't, does anyone else have any other
ideas? What have you tried?

Thanks!
Shelley & Rusty
http://www.bump.us/rusty

Hmmm. My first impulse is to suggest that you put a shock collar on
Rusty, set it on high, and hide out, waiting for him to go after the
garbage, and then ZAP him four times in rapid succession when he does
it, and then leap out of your hiding spot and yell "BAD DOG!" whilst
waving your arms and looking really angry.

On the other hand, if the dog can't physically get into the garbage,
no other action may be required. So perhaps hubby is on the right
track.

Charlie
Old July 23rd 03, 03:44 AM
Rocky

Shelley said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This morning my hubby got a brick and put that in the
bottom of the can and put the garbage bag in over it. It
worked today but I'm dubious because nothing else has
worked. If it doesn't, does anyone else have any other
ideas? What have you tried?

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the toughest training
issues going.

In my case, it was an 11 year old dog who'd never done this
before, but her first experience with checking out the contents
of the garbage was extremely rewarding. She was hooked.

Think about it: you're not there to distract or correct, so what
can you do? Manage the situation. Make the garbage
inaccessible.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 23rd 03, 06:55 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:51:54 -0400, montana
wrote:

In article ,
"dejablues" wrote:

You don't want to "torture" your dog?

I think that was in response to the suggestion about the shock collar
turned up to its higest setting.

Another option would be to use a fence charger to electrify the
garbage container itself. Then wet the floor with saline solution for
effective ground contact. You'd have to be careful to remember when
to disarm the setup, however.

Charlie
Old July 23rd 03, 02:49 PM
J1Boss

Manage the situation. Make the garbage
inaccessible.

the best solution!

I have "food trash" in 3 locations in my house - the "dog kitchen", the "cat
kitchen" and MY kitchen!

The containers are inside cabinets in the dog and cat areas, but I have a trash
compactor in the kitchen. Never thought I'd like the thing - thought it was a
waste of space, but it's a pretty cool device for once a week pickup and pets.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Old July 23rd 03, 03:36 PM
Gwen Watson

montana wrote:

You test it first, Charlie.

Splurt!

Gwen

Old July 24th 03, 12:25 AM
Supergoof

"Rocky" wrote ...
Shelley said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This morning my hubby got a brick and put that in the
bottom of the can and put the garbage bag in over it. It
worked today but I'm dubious because nothing else has
worked. If it doesn't, does anyone else have any other
ideas? What have you tried?

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the toughest training
issues going.
In my case, it was an 11 year old dog who'd never done this
before, but her first experience with checking out the contents
of the garbage was extremely rewarding. She was hooked.
Think about it: you're not there to distract or correct, so what
can you do? Manage the situation. Make the garbage
inaccessible.

Murphy started getting into the rubbish bin about a year ago, at the ripe
old age of 10, after 2 years of not bothering with it at our flat. So we put
a heavy weight on the lid, and in our new house the bin is in a cupboard out
of the way. I don't think my darling girl is smart enough to work out how to
open a cupboard. )

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 24th 03, 01:00 AM
ceb

"Shelley" wrote in
. net:

We've been putting the garbage can up on the counter but really that's
not an ideal situation.

It's not?? That's what I do.

I continue to train Zoe not to get in the garbage, but I do think the
combination of "home alone" and "what eez zat fascinating odor?" can be
overwhelming for our dear canines.

--Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 24th 03, 03:09 AM
Rocky

Supergoof said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Murphy started getting into the rubbish bin about a year
ago, at the ripe old age of 10, after 2 years of not
bothering with it at our flat.

Every time you post about your Murphy, I flash to my old girl,
Murphy, who I put down last year. Thank you for your
unintentional memory jog.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.