How Often Should I Feed My Dog? Here Are Some Tips to Answer That

Old March 4th 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Snuggly Pets

Default How Often Should I Feed My Dog? Here Are Some Tips to Answer That

Many dog owners would like to know how often they should feed their
dogs and you are not an exception. A puppy in its first six weeks must
be fed milk five to seven times a day. The puppy will alert you, its
owner, through sound.

As the puppy grows older and moves beyond six weeks, the frequency
drops. Once the dog reaches four weeks old, it can start taking some
solid food. Your puppies introduction to solid food is cautionary
though as you will have to only feed him twice a day on solid. The
reason for this is to watch out if the dog develops diarrhea and if it
does, discontinue the new feeding regimen.

This is due to trial and error. However, your dog’s eating of solid
food should increase to two to three times daily once the dog reaches
eight weeks. However, if the dog is still hungry, then provide it with
some extra food. This however varies with different breeds.

You must avoid feeding your dog too many times in this age group.
Between the third and sixth month, the puppy will be teething.
Consequently, restrict the feeding to twice only but it must be
balanced lest the dog develop deficiency based symptoms.

From six months to one year, strive using puppy food that is
commercially available. However, once the dog reaches a year, adult
food may be given more and more. From this time on, its food may
comprise of only adult food.

However, when the dog becomes an elder dog, restrict the frequency of
feeding since the movements of such adult dogs are much reduced.
However, the pregnant animal may be fed an extra time depending on the
willingness of the animal. As always, never compromise on the quality
of food you give your dog.

Old March 6th 11, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Better yet, get rid of the puppy food except for the bitch in her last
half of pregnancy and while nursing. Use the puppy food for weaning and
until about the 7th to 9th week, then move to a top quality adult food.
The puppy will grow at a more normal rate and not spend several months
acting like a child on a "sugar high", just be normally active. The
puppy should go to it's new home in the 10th week, but certainly not
before the 8th week. It needs to stay with mom and littermates for
valuable education in being a dog, bite inhibition, and early
housetraining.

From about 6 months through the rest of it's life, most dogs should be
fed twice a day, in equal amounts per feeding.

When you don't know anything about the subject, please refrain from
posting and sticking your foot so far in your mouth that it should choke
you.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 7th 11, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Yeh..... This dingleberry doesn't know enough to spot inaccuracies.
Geezle..... I'm very conservative with use of supplements; the only one
I use preventively is for joints, and there's some evidence from a study
on GSDs that it's helpful. But then, given the poor regulation of the
supplement industry, and Consumer Union's two tests on a few of the
joint supplements in recent years, showing very poor quality control
when it comes to actual amounts of glucosamine in pet versions.... one
has to be curious about such things.... and not be in a rush to try the
latest fad.... human or canine.... unless there is a clear reason. And
know enough to tell whether something really IS working or not.

That said, years ago, before we had decent foods available around here,
I did add a carefully selected multivitamin for the old guys, and when
one of them had a low hematocrit, the vet had me add freeze-dried liver
daily.... 4 cubes. Old Max was Thrilled, and it worked.

There used to be a young "holistic" vet down on the SC coast who showed
up at the shows and big matches, peddling all sorts of supplements,
including one to stop cataracts developing. Yeh, sure. He was one of
those guys who came across as the stereotypical used car salesman.
Predictably, he came to grief over something (in his personal life?) and
just up and left, deserting the clientele who had trusted him to keep
fleecing them.... and were amazed to discover that all they'd done was
support his lifestyle, when their dogs showed no change when they
didn't have any more of his nostrums to stuff into them. We now have
one older vet who bills himself as holistic (not my choice to trust my
dogs to to start with), and one who is a good experienced vet who has
just moved into more non-traditional care without making a big deal of
it... who I would consult in a heartbeat. (She's about 45 minutes from
here.... or she'd be my regular vet. Have known her since I moved here
in '87; she not only was my favorite breeder's vet, but co-owned the
brother of my heart dog, and travelled with us now and then to show him
herself.)

It also helps to be a skeptic and to understand a little differential
anatomy, physiology and psychology.... to say nothing of pharmacology.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 7th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Glenn Lyford

The articles SnugglyLilPets (gag) has
posted here appear to have been written by people who also submit blog
articles on other, very unrelated topics.

I believe the term here is "content farm", which refers to a webpage
with bogus content that exists solely to boost the Google Search
ranking of their clients' pages (JCPenney recently got hit for this).
There are scads of these that grab output from usenet as a suitable
source of searchable text to the throw links inside/next to, and some
of them even pretend to be forum sites in the process. Another term
is SEO, search engine optimization. In other words, trying to make an
end run around the rules in the hope that the computers and
programmers at google won't see it...
--Glenn Lyford
Old March 8th 11, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Glenn..... Veddy inter-rr-rresting.

And just because it's (what ever "it" happens to be) on Oprah doesn't
make it true.... {GRIN}

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia