japan tsunami dog rescued after three weeks at sea

Old April 2nd 11, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus[_2_]

Default japan tsunami dog rescued after three weeks at sea

"Coastguards in Japan have rescued a dog from the top of a house
washed out to sea by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that hit
the country's north-east coast three weeks ago."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12944317

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Old April 2nd 11, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

--"Opinicus" wrote in message

"Coastguards in Japan have rescued a dog from the top of a house
washed out to sea by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that hit
the country's north-east coast three weeks ago."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12944317

What a heartwarming story.

Old April 2nd 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Saw the dog on the news last night. Lovely hound-type. I was at dinner
with a vet and his wife who is the practice manager, their daughter,
and an animal control officer. It was uncanny..... the first comment
from all five of us, almost in unison as if practiced, was, "How did he
get enough to eat and drink? He isn't scrawny and he's still alive."

As with humans, dogs die, drinking nothing but salt water.... Fishing?
Questionnable.... A miracle......

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old April 2nd 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message

Saw the dog on the news last night. Lovely hound-type. I was at
dinner with a vet and his wife who is the practice manager, their
daughter, and an animal control officer. It was uncanny..... the
first comment from all five of us, almost in unison as if practiced,
was, "How did he get enough to eat and drink? He isn't scrawny
and he's still alive."

As with humans, dogs die, drinking nothing but salt water....
Fishing? Questionnable.... A miracle......

http://www.buzzbox.com/news/2011-04-...sterId=3644428
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...oard/1d0fynoyc

A set-up? Maybe someone dropped the dog off their boat onto the floating
roof and called in a request for S&R? A good way to ensure your unwanted dog
got an excellent home!

A hoax? After, all, this was April 1...

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old April 4th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 05:53:11 +0300, Opinicus
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:35:00 -0400, (Jo Wolf) wrote:

and an animal control officer. It was uncanny..... the first comment
from all five of us, almost in unison as if practiced, was, "How did he
get enough to eat and drink? He isn't scrawny and he's still alive."
As with humans, dogs die, drinking nothing but salt water.... Fishing?
Questionnable.... A miracle......

I'm relieved to see I'm not the only person who had these very same
thoughts almost immediately.

This story seems to have more holes in it than {just about anything
that that holes in it}.

Here's an update to the story:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/upda...wner-lost-dog/

As for those supposed "holes" in the story, dogs (like wolves) can go
quite a while without food and water, just like humans, who can go
about 30+ days without food and up to 2 weeks without water. Plus, the
dog was apparently living in that sunken house and may have found both
food and water inside the house, or somewhere else in the flotilla of
flotsam on which he was living.

--
Dogman
Old April 4th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote
Opinicus wrote:

[...]

I never thought to question it. The reason is the knowledge of the Japanese
and what they will and will not do. How they keep house as well.

I lived there 7 years. I have zero doubt that the house was well stocked
with many provisions that the dog could presumably get at. They don't use
so many cans and glass jars. Many things would have survived being wet with
seawater without rotting, if it was contained enough to not float away.
Plastic wrappers are a lighter cellophane which a dog can handle with ease.
The kitchen will have multiple sub-floor storages for dry goods that may
have popped open and the bathtub may well have had a tank of fresh water
pumped up above and with a cover on the water below. If the tub stayed
above seawater, he had access to a bathtub full of fresh water.

Tub water is used several times but you soap and wash outside the tub (a
sort of spay shower with a drain in the floor) then you pump the water back
up to the holding tank for reheating. The inlet for the tank is from the
ceiling. Water lines tend to run along the roof. Drianing the tub normally
requires a manual unscrewing of a plug at the bottom of the tub, out into
the room so the normal 'shower drain' handles it (no drain as we are used to
in the tub in units like this).

The tub above tank often is linked to the toilet room (they use a separate
room for that). If so, it is not unusual to see a little gravity drain
'spigot' over the back of the toilet tank (drains into the toilet tank) with
a simple push valve. It's to wash quick and no hot water or soap is used
(rinse then go to a real sink). Push, water flows, let go, water stops.
Many japanese keep a mini-stopper in that 'basin' and only drain to the
flushing tank when they think it's needed. It's not at all uncommon around
Sasebo to use it only as a pet water dish or rinse fast, then drain, then
refill for pets. Even cats catch on fast how to push the lever for fresh
water.

I didn't have the fancy pump unit in our tub. (had the mini-sink over
toilet). Instead, we had a cover and you left the water in then drained out
just enough of the cold to add hot (they heat higher) to make it a nice HOT
bath. Then when done, you got out and opened a drain by unscrewing a sort
of plastic cork so it came out to the floor drain.

Believe me, the Japanese are for good reason taking this far too serious to
play bogus games about rescues.