Vet trip

Old June 29th 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Vet trip

Hi folks,

Haven't seen much lately here. In our case, Cash is holding stable at
56 lbs. Aunti Mabel is now 29 lbs and we are to hold her there or trim
back lightly by 1 lb.

We are still dealing with ear infection issues. A sample was taken off
to be cultured by a lab for Aunti Mabel and Cash's came back as yeast
again. His was taken a week before and her's today so her's still
pends results.

I'm pretty sure she has more than yeast going on in there. Vet is as
well.

Daisy-chan (cat) lost 2 teeth last dental which is not abnormal by her
assumed age but she is otherwise healthy as is Cash and Mabel (other
than ear issues).

Old June 29th 11, 09:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

Glad to hear your pet family are doing well excpet for the ear issue.
My pets are getting on in age , Dibby the dog is doing well but Kim the
cat has chroninc renal failure. She is eating well etc and enjoying herself
but has lost weight , I hope she will be with us for some months to come .
--
Alison,

Old June 30th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Glad to hear your pet family are doing well excpet for the ear issue.
My pets are getting on in age , Dibby the dog is doing well but Kim
the cat has chroninc renal failure. She is eating well etc and
enjoying herself but has lost weight , I hope she will be with us for
some months to come .

Yeah, I adopt older medical needs pets that I have a clue on how to
work with. Mostly I'm good with those damaged by long term heartworm
infection and those with arthritis. OT for here, feral cats.

Renal failure in cats is very difficult. Join me in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes and the folks who know more on it can help
better than I can.

Old July 1st 11, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Glenn Lyford

I'm pretty sure she has more than yeast going on in there. *Vet is as
well.

Our lab had a chronic ear infection which was set off by a change in
food to one that contained corn, so we changed back but the infection
stayed...until she hurt her paw pads and didn't want to go outside
with her paws vet-wrapped for a couple of days, and her ears cleared
up. So the vet thinks she's allergic to grass or something similar in
the yard. She prescribed daily antihistamines, which are mostly
working, except she's itchier than usual right now (but her ears are
still clear). You might be facing some sort of similar environmental
allergen...?

Hope that helps,
--Glenn Lyford
Old July 1st 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Good thought, Glenn.

My first terrier was allergic to St Augustine grass.... which was the
only turf grass that would grow in that region, so you couldn't get away
from it. He was born in the summer, and had been on grass before the
winter die-off. The next spring, he not only had ear infections, he had
a raw tummy/inner thighs (tried to scratch that area by elbow-crawling
in the grass), raw paws and raw eyelids.... in a matter of days. As
long as I lived there, I put him on long-active antihistamines at vet
recommendation (4-hour doses weren't an option, as I was gone frm home
for 9-10 hours at a time).... during the growing season. Worked for
everything but the ear infections.

When I moved here, I was told that the centipede grass should have the
same effect, but after my first summer here, I could drop the
antihistamines. Ear infections continued. This was in the early /80s,
before vets bothered to mention corn allergies.... Got him off corn
and used a human specific fungus med otc for athlete's foot with the
drops from teh vet, and go ta full cure.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 1st 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Jo Wolf wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

[...]

Thanks Jo and Glenn!

It is possible if it comes back as just yeast on her as well that we
have some other allergin in effect. Then to find what it may be.

Old July 5th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 7/1/2011 5:58 AM, Glenn Lyford wrote:
I'm pretty sure she has more than yeast going on in there. Vet is as
well.

Our lab had a chronic ear infection which was set off by a change in
food to one that contained corn, so we changed back but the infection
stayed...until she hurt her paw pads and didn't want to go outside
with her paws vet-wrapped for a couple of days, and her ears cleared
up. So the vet thinks she's allergic to grass

More likely it's something you are putting on the grass.

or something similar in
the yard. She prescribed daily antihistamines, which are mostly
working,

That is a cop out vets use instead of spending the time to find out the
true cause of the problem. As soon as you stop them the problem will
come back.

Old July 5th 11, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Glenn Lyford

More likely it's something you are putting on the grass.

Water, air, lawnmower? Which of those are you blaming? I think it's
actually the crabgrass, she was fine until about two weeks ago, which
is when it started coming up. If you want to yank every blade over
the half acre that's fenced for them, go right ahead...

--Glenn Lyford
Old July 6th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

cshenk wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Hi folks,

Haven't seen much lately here. In our case, Cash is holding stable at
56 lbs. Aunti Mabel is now 29 lbs and we are to hold her there or
trim back lightly by 1 lb.

We are still dealing with ear infection issues. A sample was taken
off to be cultured by a lab for Aunti Mabel and Cash's came back as
yeast again. His was taken a week before and her's today so her's
still pends results.

I'm pretty sure she has more than yeast going on in there. Vet is as
well.

Update, results are in and I get the details tomorrow. My vet called
and she has 2 bacteria types in there, both highly resistant and will
need 2 separate antibiotic treatments. One at least is oral and the
other I think is topical but I won't have the details until tomorrow.

Interesting is the vet with a wry voice saying for once she gets to use
a more effective and gentle med (she said specifically for older dogs
it's better). Seems it has a side effect of unacceptable levels of
causing deafness? Seeing as Aunti Mabel is totally deaf and her
hearing is not going to come back, this means an easier better med for
her use.

I'll run her feeding by her as well again. She's on BW kibble, canned
grain-free (authority brand) and a fair amount of ground RMB.

Old July 6th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

[...]

LOL, sorry, no update. Got stuck in bad traffic and by the time I got
near home, I was too late for the vet visit. Will go tomorrow. She
has the short shift of 4-8pm tomorrow.

Trip Preparation Suja Dog behavior 2 March 14th 08 09:04 PM
A Trip to the Vet Melinda Shore Dog behavior 1 December 24th 05 11:29 PM
[OT] - Road trip!! Marcel Beaudoin Dog behavior 30 October 22nd 04 11:39 PM
Trip report Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 48 September 20th 04 05:03 AM
Trip report Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 0 September 17th 04 06:04 PM