Arthritic Pup bouncing back!

Old August 18th 11, 06:31 PM
boxerluv86 boxerluv86 is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up Arthritic Pup bouncing back!

Hello All! Just wanted to share my dog Kenya's story about her fight against arthritis. Kenya is an 11 year old Boxer who is the most lovable and protective dog ever! Around her 10th year she started to slow down quite a bit and for those of you who know Boxers know something must be wrong. I took her to the vet and he claimed that she was showing signs of arthritis in her hind legs. I was devastated and even more heart broken when the meds he recommended for relief (rimadyl) had such terrible side effects. So i decided to start my own search for an all natural plan. I looked up natural supplements for pet arthritis and liquid glucosamine was the first thing to come up. The thing i immediately liked was that it was all natural and no reported side effects. I ordered her some from a company by the name of Synflex and she has been taking it ever since with great results. I'm very satisfied with this product and would recommend it to anyone and everyone! Just thought i would share since i am so please to have my happy pup back! Best wishes to all!
Old August 20th 11, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

Default Arthritic Pup bouncing back!

On 8/18/2011 1:31 PM, boxerluv86 wrote:
Hello All! Just wanted to share my dog Kenya's story about her fight
against arthritis. Kenya is an 11 year old Boxer who is the most lovable
and protective dog ever! Around her 10th year she started to slow down
quite a bit and for those of you who know Boxers know something must be
wrong. I took her to the vet and he claimed that she was showing signs
of arthritis in her hind legs. I was devastated and even more heart
broken when the meds he recommended for relief (rimadyl) had such
terrible side effects.

I'd never use it and know many who feel the same. I feel you made a
sound choice.

So i decided to start my own search for an all
natural plan. I looked up natural supplements for pet arthritis and
liquid glucosamine was the first thing to come up. The thing i
immediately liked was that it was all natural and no reported side
effects. I ordered her some from a company by the name of Synflex and
she has been taking it ever since with great results. I'm very satisfied
with this product and would recommend it to anyone and everyone! Just
thought i would share since i am so please to have my happy pup back!
Best wishes to all!

Let me mention that the difference between what you did and what the vet
wanted to do is huge. You actually treated the root problem while the
vet chose to use dangerous pain killers to hide it. You may want to look
into finding a more holistic vet.

I've found that vets that rely on pain killers, steroids and benedryl
aren't interested in finding root causes of their patients' problems.
They aren't solutions, just an easy way out.
Old August 27th 11, 10:52 AM
iAmTerri iAmTerri is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
[...]

NSAID may cause some negative effects/toxicity such as renal toxicity and gastrointestinal ulceration. There is a need to nip the problem in the bud rather than "killing the pain" and not addressing the ultimate cause/s. Know more about your dog's condition and take a proactive approach.
Old August 27th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

-
[...]

You are so very right about the nsaids. I personally have a liver
problem and doctors with much experience routinely tell me to take
nsaids anyway. Needless to say I don't keep a doctor without that
knowledge as my doctor for very long.
Old September 22nd 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
zxcvbob

boxerluv86 wrote:
[...]

I have an 8 year old boxer that's developing arthritis in her hips; one
side a lot worse than the others. Vet recommended glucosamine, fish
oil, and buffered (not enteric coated) aspirin.

I did some research on the Internet about glucosamine for dogs, and one
of the web sites that came up first (I think it was "arthritis-info.org"
or something like that) said liquid glucosamine formulations were far
superior to pills for dogs, and recommended a product called Flexicose
in particular. I bought a couple of bottles; they look just like
Synflex. Well, the liquid isn't really any easier to give than pills
because I have 2 other dogs (that don't need it yet) and they steal it.

Meanwhile I did a DNS lookup on the arthritis info web site that
referred me to Flexicose and I found that they were registered to the
same company (DTC) that sells the Flexicose. They tricked me! It still
might be a fine product, but I won't do business again with a company
that pulls a stunt like that. Now I see that there's no love lost
between Synflex and DTC.

Fast forward a few weeks. I bought a big bottle of glucosamine+MSM
tablets at Sam's Club and I've been giving her that. I still have a
bottle and a half of the expensive Flexicose and I doubt that I'll use
it. The pills seem to be helping; she actually can jump up on the bed
now, and climb the stairs. When it gets a little colder next month I
may start giving her a half an aspirin per day to help get her thru the
winter.

Now for the real reason I came he

"Tinkerbell" (hows that for a name for a boxer?) is pretty easy to give
a pill to, but I'd like to find a way to make them into treats -- like
Heartgard, which she likes. I looked at glucosamine treats at Petco
today and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the prices! I wonder how
it would work to crush the pills and mix them into peanut butter cookie
dough balls and bake them? Or mix with raw chicken or liver or beef
heart and then dehydrate into jerky? I think I'll try canned vienna
sausages first. That might be a good way to use up that liquid stuff;
inject it into vienna sausages then leave them uncovered in the fridge
to dry out a little.

BTW, none of my dogs will eat a fish oil pill. What's up with that? I
thought they would love them because they (the pills) stink.

-Bob
Old September 22nd 11, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

I'm lucky to have dogs that are such greedy-guts that they eat their
pills with their dry food.... dropped on top.

Most of the products on the pet store shelf are "iffy" for quality;
they may not have the amount of glucosamine stated on the label. Stick
with the brand you're using if it seems to be working for you!!!!!!!
Under the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Press the pill into a piece of cheese (string cheese is loverly for
this) about an inch long.... half a Vienna sausage is also a good size.
However, it's cheaper and nearly as easy to "pill" a dog with a mouth
like a Boxer's.... that you can stick your hand into clear up to your
shoulder....

Open Tinker's mouth from the top.... hand over the top of her muzzle
(what there is of it) and press her flews against her canine teeth and
lift up. At the same time, give a command like "Open up" or "down the
hatch". Place the pill as far back as possible on the tongue, push over
the curve with a finger, close mouth, blow in her nose. This will make
her swallow.... as will stroking the front of her throat downward. Then
give her her dinner immediately. Yeh, you can also give her a SMALL
treat.... but dinner is a big treat. Or smear with peanut butter and
drop into food. Don't make this a big elaborate hoo-hah.... just very
matter-of-fact.

Fish oil gel caps.... Fun. (Ech...) First, you need to know that left
whole, the gel cap won't dissolve soon enough in the dog's GI system for
the oil to be absorbed. They need to be punctured or an end cut off....
squeaze oil onto food, drop cap on top of food. I have a pair of small
sharp scissors for this; embroidery scissors. I just wipe the oil off
the blade with a kleenex, wash with the dishes. Most dogs LOVE this.
But the rule at my house is; "I put it in your bowl; your job is to eat
it". Put it in as described, put the bowls down for the dogs and walk
away. No sound effects or nasty faces from you while preparing. If the
food isn't gone in 15-20 minutes, bowls come up, into baggies and into
fridge, and reappear at the next feeding time. Your dogs won't miss
more than a couple of meals....

Aspirin.... My vet has me use the 81 mg enteric coated aspirin sold for
children or for heart attack prevention. It's the same dose as half an
aspirin, and it dissolves in the upper bowel, not the stomach, so gets
mixed into the thick sludge that food is by the time it gets to that
location. These are tiny, and have a hard, slippery coating. ASK YOUR
VET if this would be okay; some vets prefer half a regular buffered
aspirin. My vet told me to give one a day to my 15 yo geezer on "his
bad days", not daily. So he gets one on the days he creaks when he
stands up, instead of popping to his feet. So far, I've never had to
give aspirin more than 3 days in a row, and then mainly when he overdid
the day before with exercise, or it's especially cold and damp.
Alternatively, check out pet aspirin at the pet store; it has the
equivalent of Maalox added. Check with your vet before using this, too.
Let the dog's behavior tell you when this added medication is needed,
and when it gets to the point of daily for more than a week, ask your
vet if you should continue, add a Rolaids or Tums tablet or not....
(most dogs like to chomp these up)... or what.... Some vets add
famotidine, the generic version of one of the heartburn meds that
supresses acid formation.... which I buy off-the-shelf at the pharmacy
section at the supermarket or drug store. (My old guy gets this for what
the vet thinks IS heartburn already). JUST ASK YOUR VET BEFORE MAKING
CHANGES ON YOUR OWN!!!!!!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 22nd 11, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I did some research on the Internet about glucosamine for dogs, and one of
the web sites that came up first (I think it was "arthritis-info.org" or
something like that) said liquid glucosamine formulations were far
superior to pills for dogs,

............I'm not sure that is really true. You'd be better off using
Google Scholar for research. For example:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...90023306000554
I'm not sure there is any research on liquid vs. pill.
All the (commercial) websites said "studies show" liquid more bioavailable
than pills, then gave me no access to the studies.

http://www.flexicose.com/ingredients.html
The main thing I don't like about these liquid preps are the preservatives.

Fast forward a few weeks. I bought a big bottle of glucosamine+MSM
tablets at Sam's Club and I've been giving her that. When it gets a
little colder next month I may start giving her a half an aspirin per day
to help get her thru the winter.

............I'd avoid giving any NSAID as long as you could. They're all,
including asprin, hard on the stomach (or kidneys). You'd be better off
getting some fish oil with vit E and Vit C into your dog and trying yucca,
boswellia or glucosamine with chondroitin and MSM.

A more trustworthy commercial site:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...oint-problems/
(NO, I'm not affiliated with Lew, I just trust her judgment)

Googling dog arthritis brought up very little in the way of information
only. Here is a very trustworthy site. I was on a list with Mary for years
and she thoroughly researches everything.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritis.html

I wonder how
it would work to crush the pills and mix them into peanut butter cookie
dough balls and bake them?

...............Why would the dog care if the cookie was baked? (I don't!)
I wouldn't subject the med to heat or freezing.

BTW, none of my dogs will eat a fish oil pill. What's up with that?

............Pierce pill and squirt over food. Unless they decide to starve
themselves ( a favorite trick of cats, but not usually dogs), they'll eat
it.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 22nd 11, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
I'm lucky to have dogs that are such greedy-guts that they eat their
pills with their dry food.... dropped on top.

..............I have one like that. For the other I have to hide the pill in
a ball of meat. He chews nothing.

Open Tinker's mouth from the top.... hand over the top of her muzzle
(what there is of it) and press her flews against her canine teeth and
lift up.

.........Seems like a lot of work to me! Chop up a hot dog into small bits.
Toss them at your dog one after another as fast as possible. Treat, treat,
treat, treat with pill, treat. Whoops, what was that I swallowed? Not only
effective, but fun for the dog.

Fish oil gel caps.... Fun. (Ech...) First, you need to know that left
whole, the gel cap won't dissolve soon enough in the dog's GI system for
the oil to be absorbed.

...........Never heard of that and I'd like to know the source of the info.
Soft gels are made of gelatin.
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.co...soft-gels.aspx
The main objections are from vegetarians and others who will not consume
certain animal products due to religious beliefs. Not digestion issues.

Old September 22nd 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
zxcvbob

buglady wrote:

........Seems like a lot of work to me! Chop up a hot dog into small bits.
Toss them at your dog one after another as fast as possible. Treat, treat,
treat, treat with pill, treat. Whoops, what was that I swallowed? Not only
effective, but fun for the dog.

That might work with my lab, once or twice until he figured it out, but
not Tinkerbell. She's not very food-motivated and will not even try to
catch anything. She does love cheap "milk bone" type dog biscuits.
That's why I thought I might bake some special cookies...

-Bob
Old September 22nd 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
buglady wrote:

........Seems like a lot of work to me! Chop up a hot dog into small
bits. Toss them at your dog one after another as fast as possible.
Treat, treat, treat, treat with pill, treat. Whoops, what was that I
swallowed? Not only effective, but fun for the dog.

That might work with my lab, once or twice until he figured it out, but
not Tinkerbell. She's not very food-motivated and will not even try to
catch anything. She does love cheap "milk bone" type dog biscuits. That's
why I thought I might bake some special cookies...

...................Get a pill gun.
http://www.entirelypets.com/pillgun.html

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Arthritic Rott-Shep Steve Crane Dog health 87 January 25th 06 06:48 AM
Arthritic Rott-Shep HouseODogs Dog health 1 January 16th 06 03:19 PM
Arthritic Rott-Shep who Dog health 0 January 16th 06 11:11 AM
UK arthritic dogs and cats raine.l Dog health 0 March 15th 04 12:18 PM
what to give arthritic dog Rosa Palmén Dog health 3 July 22nd 03 07:17 PM