I hate bad news

Old November 5th 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jim Manson

Default I hate bad news

Lucky was acting pretty lethargic the last couple of days. Last night
he threw up several times so I took him in to the vet this morning.

Lots of blood tests and x-rays later they diagnosed him with a liver
problem, either infection or inflammation. I have the meds to treat
that so it should be fine in a few days.

The bad news was that the vet saw something on the abdominal x-ray at
the forward edge so he did a chest x-ray. He found a fairly large
tumor in one of the lungs. He's sending it off for a radiology consult
but he thinks it's a primary lung tumor that probably hasn't
metastasized. If it is malignant, surgery is the only treatment
option. He isn't showing any symptoms of the tumor at this point.

We'll have to see but with his age, 12, I don't know if that type of
surgery will really help his quality of life or lengthen his survival
time. Apparently he could live another year or two with the tumor
depending on how aggressive it is. He might only get one or two years
after the surgery too.

Too many unknowns until we talk to an oncologist.

Today is my wife's birthday.

We're both pretty down right now.

Old November 5th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Major bummer.... My thoughts and prayers are with you.........

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old November 5th 11, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 20:56:15 -0500, Jim Manson wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you and your wife and to
Lucky, whatever you find out and whatever you decide.

We lost two really special dogs within 2 months of each other this
summer and fall. It always sucks and you're never really prepared for
it, even when you think you are. I hope you have a lot of quality
time yet with Lucky.

Old November 5th 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_2_]

Bad news, but too early to tell if its terrible news. Take it one day at
a time and hope for the best. You are in my thoughts.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old November 6th 11, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Jim Manson" wrote in message

[snip]
Too many unknowns until we talk to an oncologist.

Today is my wife's birthday.

We're both pretty down right now.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome.

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old November 6th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Jim Manson" wrote in message
We'll have to see but with his age, 12, I don't know if that type of

surgery will really help his quality of life or lengthen his survival
time. Apparently he could live another year or two with the tumor
depending on how aggressive it is. He might only get one or two years
after the surgery too.

Too many unknowns until we talk to an oncologist.

Today is my wife's birthday.

We're both pretty down right now.

I'm sorry to hear this. Wishing Lucky many more happy years.
Ali

Old November 7th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Jim Manson wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

[...]

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully all will work out well.

I've lucked up, or rather Aunti Mabel has. A non-metastizied cancer
polyp was removed when she had her dental work done back in spring.
Tests and scans done last week show no signs of issues. She's still a
little under optimal weight but so close to it, only her age (we call
it 15 come USA Thanksgiving, adoption month last year) makes me and her
doggie Doc wish she'd add an extra 1/2 lb for 'health padding'.

I hit the point of having to do her dental or risk losing her and the
procedure was done at the same time while she was under. She had a
50/50 chance of full recovery and several years to go, or never waking
up. Since her quality of life was highly impacted if we did not do it,
we tried it. My thoughts at the time were that it was an expensive way
to put my 'puppy' to sleep if that is what happened, but it gave her a
chance.

You are right, at a certain age, depending on health of dog and
longevity of the type, common sense for their quality of life needs to
be a factor combined with cost.

Old November 11th 11, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

Jim Manson said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Too many unknowns until we talk to an oncologist.

I'm very sorry.

Been there.

--
--Matt.