Shi's diet: OK?

Old July 26th 03, 06:10 AM
Deb

Default Shi's diet: OK?

Shilo has been told to lose some weight by the neurologist, so I'm helping her
to do just that. She is now on Hills RD (canned) and steamed vegys, mostly
broccoli and carrots. She also has her regular supplements: garlic/yeast,
missing link, milk thistle, Syn-Flex. Since her surgery her tummy has shrunk a
bit so I am using the opportunity to feed her less as well. My question is:
anyone know if steamed vegys for snacks is ok, like daily? She gets hungry and
I am trying to keep her out of Georgie's food so offer her more vegys at night
to tide her over. I am trying to consider her liver and the possibility of
cushings in the future. (last test 1 yr ago was neg, but her alk p'tase and
sugar remain a bit high). She has lost about 6 lbs since the surgery and seems
to be doing extremely well, back to doing her 'skippery' routine, no stumbling,
etc.

Just trying to do the best for her I can. Thanks.

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
Old July 26th 03, 06:33 AM
BethF

"Deb" wrote in message
[...]

Steamed veggies are good for a snack every day - as long as she doesn't gas
you out!!

Old July 26th 03, 06:05 PM
Rocky

Deb said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My question is:
anyone know if steamed vegys for snacks is ok, like daily?

My dogs like all veggies, especially mushroom stems. I feed all
of the vegetables raw, though, since I'm not overly concerned
about the nutritive value (they get plenty of ground veggies and
fruit otherwise).

Bear in mind, though, that carrots are high in sugar. Have you
tried plain canned pumpkin?

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 27th 03, 01:46 AM
Rocky

Deb said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I will try the pumpkin, always seem to only see the pie
stuff. Will have to look around.

It can be tough to find in grocery stores. Sometimes it's with
the canned vegetables, the next week it's in the baking section
next to the cans of Bing Cherries.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.