House breaking problem! Please help!!!

Old July 26th 03, 06:01 PM
Rocky

Default House breaking problem! Please help!!!

Bass_Cat said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

But now when we take him out he will do his thing and come
in the house and urinate on the floor.

If you catch him in the act, just matter-of-factly pick him up
and take him outside. Whenever he pees outside, make a fool of
yourself - praise him, play with him, give him a treat. And,
while you're at it, give him a command when he pees and before
the treat (I use "go pee", then "GOOD pee!"), pretty soon he'll
go when you ask.

Meanwhile, treat him just like a younger puppy. Take him
outside on a schedule - normally, with a younger dog, this would
be as soon as he wakes up, shortly after he eats, after you've
played with him. Since your Cocker is somewhat older, you can
modify the schedule somewhat. I'd schedule the potty breaks for
first thing in the morning, half an hour or so after meals,
before bed, before you take a shower, and every few hours
otherwise.

Watch him to learn his signals - every dog will communicate
their need to go out in a different way. Rocky stares at me,
Friday runs back and forth between me and the door. Of course,
this is in exceptional circumstances because, even at 5.5 and
2.5 years old, they're still on a schedule - albeit a relaxed
schedule.

Good luck! And what's his name?

Old July 27th 03, 05:28 AM
Bass_Cat

He is a mixed breed of Cocker and Lab...His name is Bear. Today he has
done pretty good! I guess yesterday was a bad pee day for him lol. I
started limiting how much water he has been drinking because when I put
his water bowl down he will drink nearly the whole thing in a sitting.
We know when he has to go out because he will come to us and then
start sniffing around the house.
He will wake one of us up around 7am to be let out.
So he is learning!

Jeremy & Deb