Two Australian Shepherd/Pit Bull Dogs

Old January 3rd 12, 11:22 PM
tengel82 tengel82 is offline
Junior Member

Default Two Australian Shepherd/Pit Bull Dogs

I wanted some advice about my dogs. I have two Australian Shepherd/Pit Bull dogs. They are 2 1/2 years old and from the same litter. I got them from a shelter and have had them since they were 6 weeks old. They went through beginner and intermediate training and occasionally go to dog parks and doggy daycares. They love people and for the most part are friendly well-behaved dogs. There are a few issues, though. The male is a bit more laid back, but he tends to follow the lead of the female when she misbehaves. When people come over to my house she jumps all over them. I tell her to get down and try to get people to not pet either dog until they settle down, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

This second issue is a bit larger of a problem. First of all, they're horrible on leash. They both pull like crazy. The female again is worse, even though she's ten pounds less than the male. Part of the problem is that it's difficult to have enough time to walk them separately, even though I know this would help with training significantly. I have tried this in the past, but walking them separately is still stressful and it takes up a lot of time. The other issue is that I can't use treats with training. I've tried and the dogs are so excited about the walk that they could care less about the treat. Maybe I should try chicken or lunch meat or something instead of dog treats? I've tried multiple kinds of collars and harnesses and I've found one that helps, but ideally I'd love it if they could walk leisurely on a regular leash and collar.

The worst part of the walking issue is something more recent. The female has started barking when we see other dogs and it's making her sound vicious! She has never bitten another dog or a person and I don't believe she ever would, however, I'm sure anyone in the vicinity probably thinks she's wanting to attack and it's incredibly embarrassing. The way she acts gets the male riled up as well. He'll bark a little, but nothing like her. They both pull on their leashes and want to run over to where the other dog is. As I said this is a newer behavior and it really concerns me. It obviously makes me not want to walk her at all, but I think her not getting walked regularly is part of the reason she's started acting this way. I know what she'd really like is to go play with the dog, but no stranger is ever going to want me to bring her anywhere near their dog so I just keep my distance from other dogs. Again, at doggy daycare and dog parks she really doesn't have this issue. I have seen her bark at the occasional dog, but it's pretty easy to redirect her attention and get her to follow me and leave that dog alone. But again, she does occasionally bark at other dogs at the dog park. It's rare and not as bad, but still not a behavior I want her to have and who knows what another dog could do if they fear she's going to attack when she's barking at them.

The last thing I wanted to mention is when we go to the dog park neither of my dogs listen to me very well. They're so excited to have this large area to run free that they just take off and don't always stay within my sight. The dog park I go to isn't huge, but it has a couple trails so I just keep walking along the trails and call out until they come back to me. I've never had any issues...yet, but I realize it may just be a matter of time. My dogs not listening to me and running wherever they want is not the proper way for them to act at the dog park. It makes it stressful rather than fun.

I absolutely love going for walks and playing and running around with my dogs at dog parks, but the way they act is taking all of the enjoyment out of these activities. It's so much easier to just have them at home where they're well behaved and play with them in the yard, but I know it's important to keep them socialized and I'd love to be able to enjoy these activities with them.

Overall, I think our issue is that they see themselves as the pack leaders, the female specifically, and don't really feel they have to listen to me. In my home, they listen quite well and are well behaved on a day to day basis. It's when new people are introduced or we go outside the home that I have issues. I don't want to have these issues for the rest of their lives, so I'd love some advice. Anything that could help me get on the right track would be greatly appreciated. I love my dogs and want other people to see how well behaved they can be regardless of where we are or who's around.
Old January 4th 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sonofdog

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:22:15 +0000, tengel82 wrote:

I wanted some advice about my dogs. I have two Australian Shepherd/Pit
Bull dogs. They are 2 1/2 years old and from the same litter. I got
them from a shelter and have had them since they were 6 weeks old. They
went through beginner and intermediate training and occasionally go to
dog parks and doggy daycares.

perhaps after initial trainings you have forgot to reinforce what they
were taught ? some dogs need it more often than others and some may need
on a daily basis

They love people and for the most part
are friendly well-behaved dogs. There are a few issues, though. The
male is a bit more laid back, but he tends to follow the lead of the
female when she misbehaves. When people come over to my house she jumps
all over them. I tell her to get down and try to get people to not pet
either dog until they settle down, but sometimes that's easier said than
done.

if you "went through beginner and intermediate training" you need to
repeat it, unless the instructors neglect it, take classes somewhere else,
or redo it on your own, be patient, it takes time, you may need to change
your training clues and commands, old ones are "poisoned"= do not work
any more as you have been(?) too liberal ?

This second issue is a bit larger of a problem. First of all, they're
horrible on leash. They both pull like crazy.

for some dogs (and handlers/owners) loose leash walking is most difficult,
it requires a lot of patience, again, retrain

The female again is
worse, even though she's ten pounds less than the male. Part of the
problem is that it's difficult to have enough time to walk them
separately, even though I know this would help with training
significantly. I have tried this in the past, but walking them
separately is still stressful and it takes up a lot of time. The other
issue is that I can't use treats with training.

it will be extremely difficult to train LLW both dogs at the same time,
separately it takes time too, if you have no time hire someone to train
it for you

if you find time
I suggest, take your dog to isolated area, put it on a 50' line(Use
harness)and let it be free for a while(you still controll the end of a
leash), when you figure that dog is already bored with itself start
training on a your regular (4-6') leash, use 'high value' treats,
something your dog loves to eat, make treats no bigger than 1/4"cubes.

I've tried and the dogs
are so excited about the walk that they could care less about the treat.
Maybe I should try chicken or lunch meat or something instead of dog
treats?

yes, see above

I've tried multiple kinds of collars and harnesses and I've
found one that helps, but ideally I'd love it if they could walk
leisurely on a regular leash and collar.

head halter (Halti) will help you a lot, you may use leash that bothnends
are attached, one to regular collar and the other to head halter, pull
gently the one you need at the moment

The worst part of the walking issue is something more recent. The
female has started barking when we see other dogs and it's making her
sound vicious! She has never bitten another dog or a person and I don't
believe she ever would, however, I'm sure anyone in the vicinity
probably thinks she's wanting to attack and it's incredibly
embarrassing.

perhaps she is frustrated not being able to play
with other dog and you are just too bored for her, for sure she is not
engaged with you(not paying attention to you),you are not fun for her

you need to tech her to ignore other dogs until you let her to play with
them, so you yourself have to be more interesting, active, play with her
(tug),change direction of walk and/or pace

The way she acts gets the male riled up as well. He'll
bark a little, but nothing like her. They both pull on their leashes
and want to run over to where the other dog is. As I said this is a
newer behavior and it really concerns me. It obviously makes me not
want to walk her at all, but I think her not getting walked regularly is
part of the reason she's started acting this way.

regular exercise is vital for any dog and for the x-bred you have it is
very essential, I call it a "road work", for your dog I suggest at least
3 mile walk (start with 2 and increase when need) and you need to give
your dogs some freedom so it is not a "heeling" walk (use flexi lead or
long lines, you need to train yourself how, search youtube videos)

deleted for clarity

It's rare and not as bad, but still not a
behavior I want her to have and who knows what another dog could do if
they fear she's going to attack when she's barking at them.

if you "correct" your dog for barking/pulling towards with aversive it
may intensify her behavior and further associate with seing another dog,
in result it may became an aggressive bahaviour

I absolutely love going for walks and playing and running around with my
dogs at dog parks, but the way they act is taking all of the enjoyment
out of these activities. It's so much easier to just have them at home
where they're well behaved and play with them in the yard, but I know
it's important to keep them socialized and I'd love to be able to enjoy
these activities with them.

it is important that you train them while being in environments that are
very attractive for your dogs.....

Overall,

please read this pages:
http://www.clickersolutions.com/