Now I've Gone and Done It

Old July 27th 03, 12:42 AM
Leah

Default Now I've Gone and Done It

I did something today I'm sure I'll regret.

I've wanted a cat, but figured there's no way I can afford the vet bills.
Litter and food I could probably squeeze out, but that's about it.

So there is a 3 yr. old special needs cat with kidney problems that has been in
a cage in our adoption center for months. No real chance of getting a home.
His problems are controlled on a special diet, and his vet offered free vet
care and food at cost to whoever adopted him. I mentioned I was thinking about
it to the rescue lady, and she said he's good with dogs, and I could have him
for free (normally a $40 adoption fee). She convinced me to take him home and
try it out.

So he's now in the guest room, with his litter box and food, hiding behind the
couch. Madigan met him briefly and behaved well, but he's too nervous right
now to expose to the dogs. I've got the door shut and I'm just going to let
him get used to being out of the cage.

I haven't a clue what he's like, except he likes to be petted and he's a
talker. He's big, and I think grey and white striped (didn't even get a good
look at him - sheesh!).

So can you think of any good Celtic names that begin with M? His temporary
name is McTavish. (He came with the name of Little Guy.)

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old July 27th 03, 01:19 AM
Tara O.

Marmaduke
Mannix
Merlin
Murray
Monroe
Maddox

If you don't mind Welsh, Scots or Gael:

Macnair
Macauley
Malcolm
Murdock
Meara

--
Tara

Old July 27th 03, 07:40 AM
Sionnach

Morrigan

Not appropriate for a male cat. The Morrigan is the Celtic *goddess* of war
and death. ;-)

--
Sarah
Brenin, CGC, AD, O-EAC-V, O-EJC-V, EGC

Old July 27th 03, 10:57 AM
Happy Trailz Fr0m_WEEniE

What ever name he answers to .Call him that. I'll give you an example. I
had this kitten & was giving him all sorts of names. He wouldn't answer
to any of them.Then I had to go to the bathroom & took him with me so I
could watch him while I did my business & he was getting into mischief
when I said to him"Boy you like getting into trouble.The minute he heard
the word trouble he looked right up at me. He went back and played with
the toilet paper & I said Trouble? and he came right to me.So what ever
name he responds to you by.Let that be his name.Unless you know his real
name and he comes to that.

Old July 27th 03, 01:35 PM
Leah

"dejablues" wrote:
If he's already three years old, he must have a name. Keep that one.

His name is Little Guy. Yuck. :}

Actually, I think I'm going to stick with McTavish. I didn't like it that much
at first, but it's growing on me. I've been calling him "Tav."

I'm pleasantly surprised by his personality. He's very affectionate, loves to
cuddle and nuzzle, can be fondled all over and doesn't use his claws. He's
like Max - likes to be petted while he eats.

Last night I left him in his room with the door closed, and visited him often.
The second visit, I coerced him to come out from under the couch. The third
visit, he ran out from under the couch to see me. By the fourth visit, he was
out and about, even eating. (I wasn't even going to fill his food bowl, from
experience with other first-day pets who are too nervous to eat.)

Nothing in the litter box yet. That makes me nervous. Especially considering
his condition (which I know nothing about right now - have to call his doctor
this week and get the skinny).

He's a little hefty, but it may be because he's been stuck in a cage with
nothing to do but eat for months.

All 3 girls have met him, briefly. They are, of course, overly interested in
him. He is not overly intimidated by them.

But right now I have a problem. :} This morning I let the dogs out, and went
out to the shed to get my baby gate. I left his door open, so he's somewhere
in the house. I can't find him. Neither can the girls. I have to leave for
work in 1/2 hour.

This sucks - cats have a way of knowing how to make themselves invisible.

Ah! Just heard a meow and investigated. He's back in his room, under the
couch. The girls are now stationed at the gate, waiting for him to come out.

This is going to work, I think. I was a little nervous about Kenzie and
Murphy, since they haven't been around cats, but they just want to play with
him. I knew Maddie would be okay. She lived with Max for a while.

I'm falling in love with him. Didn't think it would happen this fast. :}

Old July 27th 03, 06:09 PM
Deb

Subject: Now I've Gone and Done It
From: "Sionnach"
Date: 7/26/03 11:40 PM Pacific

Not appropriate for a male cat. The Morrigan is the Celtic *goddess* of war
and death. ;-)

Interesting, and I am sure you are right. Here is where i found it:

http://tinyurl.com/i793

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker
Old July 28th 03, 06:06 AM
Sionnach

"Deb" Here is where i found it:

http://tinyurl.com/i793

Hrmm. I do notice that they say it's a *last* name, but still... it would be
an odd first name to give anything male, IMO. G
Morrigu or the Morrigan (I've always seen it as THE Morrigan, not just
"Morrigan") is very well documented as having been a goddess of war; among
other things, she plays a substantial role in the legends/myths of the Irish
hero Cu Chulainn.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/morrigan.html