HELP! Both dogs are so sick=(

Old February 1st 12, 08:49 PM
Manda Manda is offline
Junior Member

Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Default HELP! Both dogs are so sick=(

Ive got two pitbull mixes, both having really bad skin irritations, ear infections and of course bathroom troubles as well. I've tried them on all kinds of allergy foods and had many many vet trips (prescriptions for steroids and other things were given) with nothing seeming to help. It's been seven years! Has anyone else went through this? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Old February 3rd 12, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 20:49:38 +0000, Manda
wrote:

Ive got two pitbull mixes, both having really bad skin irritations, ear
infections and of course bathroom troubles as well. I've tried them on
all kinds of allergy foods and had many many vet trips (prescriptions
for steroids and other things were given) with nothing seeming to help.
It's been seven years! Has anyone else went through this? Any
suggestions would be really appreciated.

What are you feeding your dogs?

Old February 3rd 12, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

I'd STRONGLY suggest evaluation by a veterinary dermatologist (this
specialty is also the vet world's allergist). This sounds like a food
sensitivity/allergy, but I'm not a vet....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old February 3rd 12, 06:04 PM
Manda Manda is offline
Junior Member

Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Unhappy

That's what all the vets I've seen think, but I've tried every type of allergy food and now am on a home-made diet and they seem to be getting worse. They're now gasping for air several times a day similar to a collapsing trachea ...
I'd love to see a doggie dermatologist but there just aren't any this far north.
Old February 7th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cyndi

--
Manda

Poor dogs! Your vets are morons. Steroids are a temporary way to stop
the itching but come at a high cost. Allergy foods are full of things
dogs are allergic to so I don't know why vets use them.

Same advice I just gave. Switch to a single raw meat such as chicken
and stick to it for a couple weeks to see if there is an allergy. Then
add a second protein for a few weeks till you know that is ok, then
move on to a third. If you see allergic reactions just switch to
another meat. Real simple huh? Since you are feeding a single
ingredient there is no doubt what the source is.

You can't do that with commercial foods. Too many ingredients and
usually there is more than one source of the allergy.
Old February 10th 12, 02:45 PM
QaqaCattleDog QaqaCattleDog is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda View Post
Ive got two pitbull mixes, both having really bad skin irritations, ear infections and of course bathroom troubles as well. I've tried them on all kinds of allergy foods and had many many vet trips (prescriptions for steroids and other things were given) with nothing seeming to help. It's been seven years! Has anyone else went through this? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Ear infections for 7 years is a serious problem. My friend's Queensland Heeler died of severe ear infection.

Last edited by QaqaCattleDog : February 29th 12 at 02:11 PM.
Old February 13th 12, 07:22 PM
Manda Manda is offline
Junior Member

Location: Prince George, BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by QaqaCattleDog View Post
Ear infections for 7 years is a serious problem. My friend's Queensland Heeler died of severe ear infection.
The home made diet we switched to is already way better then any allergy food or dry dog food we've tried!
The allergies and hip dysplasia have been going on for seven years, the chronic ear infections only started after Brewsky was on extreme amounts of steroids and pain killers. Her hips were so bad at one point that she couldn't walk, go to the bathroom or hardly sit up by herself. I'm sure the medication is what started the ear infections as she never had any problems with her ears until then. Right now we're working to build her immune system back up so she can get rid of those toxins herself, the natural way and thank God, it is starting to work!
Old February 18th 12, 05:19 AM
PickePekingese PickePekingese is offline
Member

What allergy foods? You should feed your dog with foods that are not allergic to him.
Pekingese training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have them all???