OT Guess what Ezra found.

Old July 28th 03, 06:37 PM
Lone Hansen

Default OT Guess what Ezra found.

On our walk today, as we came from one field into the other Ezra stopped by
a hole and looked down, showing a lot of interest. I take her on this walk
several times a week and it has been a long time since the last time she
actually noticed this hole, so I thought that I better have a look. When I
looked down the hole, that is deep and narrow I saw a little hedgehog that
was trapped. The poor little soul had no way of getting up by himself. It
proved a bit of a struggle to get him up without getting into close contact
with his armour Finally I got him up, as I couldn't see any hedgehog
family near I decided to bring him home with me to have a closer look at
him, to see if he had any broken legs and to give him something to eat and a
drink. There is no way of telling how long he has been down the hole. Ezra
and I haven't been that way since Friday so he can have been stuck down
there since Friday night.

Right now he is napping in a box on my dinning room table. He has
eaten(a lot so he was very hungry) and had a drink. He is about the size of
my hand and very curious. He shows an interest in the world around him, and
has no fear of me nor Ezra. On the walk home he was busy finding out what I
was, his nose going non stop and climbing around to the point that I nearly
dropped him. He seems young(he is small) but obviously he is on solid food
and able to take care of himself.
Tonight I will put him out in the garden with the other hedgehogs and
hope that he will make it. As my garden is full of snails and other yummy
food and I put out water and food too it isn't lack of food and shelter that
will meet him.

He sure is cute

Lone

Old July 28th 03, 06:43 PM
Child

"Lone Hansen" wrote in
:

Tonight I will put him out in the garden with the other hedgehogs
and
hope that he will make it. As my garden is full of snails and other
yummy food and I put out water and food too it isn't lack of food and
shelter that will meet him.

I was watching some animal planet show with a hedgehog and I thought of you
and your garden denizens!!

I hope your little guy does well in your garden!! Keep us posted!

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 28th 03, 11:33 PM
Alison

Ezra to the rescue !
I love hedgehogs. If you need any advice there is a hedgehog and
wildlife rescue St Tiggywinkles .
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Alison

Old July 29th 03, 12:34 AM
Lone Hansen

"Alison" wrote in message
Ezra to the rescue !
I love hedgehogs. If you need any advice there is a hedgehog and
wildlife rescue St Tiggywinkles .
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Alison

Hi Alison.

Thanks for the link.
Baby as I call him seems okay. No broken bones and a very healthy appetite.
He is still in a box on the table as I prefere to put him out when the other
hedgehogs show up, as I hope that he will be able to team up with them and
follow them as they will be able to show him where the food is and whee the
sleep during the day, that is if they want anything to do with him. So far
no sign of the other hedgehogs, I know they are there, but they haven't
dropped by yet.

Baby has eaten again and is now taking a little nap. He must have been
very hungry and thirsty as he has eaten a LOT. Ezra doesn't know what to
think of our house guest. She sleeps right under his box but hasn't tried to
get to him so that is good.
He really is very, very cute

Lone

Old July 29th 03, 04:42 PM
Lone Hansen

"Leah" -OFF wrote in message

Hmm. I know nothing at all about hedgehogs... but could this be a sign

that he
may have been a pet who escaped? Or are wild hedgehogs that tolerant of
humans?

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

- Hedgehogs aren't kept as pets. Wild hedgehogs are pretty tolerant of
humans as we aren't predators. This one is very young, I guess around 6
weeks old, old enough to fend for himself as they leave the nest between 5
to 6 weeks. At any rate he is very cute

Lone

Old July 29th 03, 06:29 PM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Lone Hansen wrote:

- That I don't understand. They aren't really geared to
be kept as pets,

i guess it's not much different than keeping other small
critters, like ferrets and guinea pigs, as pets. it's not for
me, but some people enjoy them and seem to do well by them in
terms of care.

and does best outside + they are great for keeping snails,
slugs, beetles ect down. They are also active at night so you
won't have that much joy from them during the day. I think
they are best left outside.

they aren't native to the US, so there isn't a natural
habitat for them here.

The rule here is to let them be, feed and water them is
okay but we don't disturb them unless they are injured or too
young to make it through the winter on their down.

that sounds like a pretty good idea to me!

- That they are, and this young houseguest is so cute
that I melt when looking at him.

i've only met one. one of the students who used to work for
me had an African pygmy hedgehog. he was *painfully* cute.

I tried to put him back outside last night, but he would have
non of that. He hid in a corner of the box under a towel and
refused to leave the box(I had removed a side and put food
outside the box, but nooooo. He refused to wenture out into
the world, so he got to stay for the night in my old rat
cage.

aw, poor thing. i imagine he'll get used to his temporary
home before long.

I guess he wants a bit more food and fatening up before
leaving. I am going to try again tonight.

i hope he gets fat and healthy and will soon be able to be
returned to the great outdoors. enjoy him while you have him!

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old July 30th 03, 08:00 PM
Alison

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Lone Hansen wrote:

i guess it's not much different than keeping other small

critters, like ferrets and guinea pigs, as pets. it's not for
me, but some people enjoy them and seem to do well by them in
terms of care.

Um , not really , ferrets (isn't a ferret a domesticated
polecat?)and piggies have been domesticated for hundreds of years
..Hedgehogs are nocturnal and roam over several miles a night and
hybernate in winter. when I read on another group about a hedgehog
being kept in a cage with an exercise wheel it made me feel sick. Over
here ,in the UK , imported wild animals like chipmunks are kept as
pets and I feel the same way about that too.
Alison

I need to VENT please (found dog with heartworm - advice needed) GAH Dog health 14 December 5th 06 05:35 PM
Atlanta area: Dog possibly in need of a home (found). GAH Dog health 5 March 5th 04 06:27 PM
guess the breed culprit Dog breeds 27 December 2nd 03 08:17 AM
Female beagle found Concord/Farragut Tennessee Area D. DeFrank Dog rescue 4 November 21st 03 02:51 AM
Female beagle found Concord/Farragut Tennessee Area D. DeFrank Dog rescue 0 November 19th 03 12:11 AM