Limping Caused by Porcupine Quill

Old October 14th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
:)

Default Limping Caused by Porcupine Quill

On Saturday, May 13, 1995 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, debbie tripp wrote:
For the past couple of months my 5 year old Bernese female, KD, was limping
(on and off) on her front right leg. The limping seemed to be more
pronounced after exercise, so I thought she might have hurt herself playing
with the other Bernese (i.e., pulled a muscle). She has been x-rayed for
both elbow and hip dysplasia and is clear. Last Wed. I took her for a 2
mile walk and on the last part of the walk, her limping grew progressively
worse (the worse it had been). I decided that enough was enough and off to
the Vet we went.

Upon examining her leg, the vet's finger was poked by something very, very
sharp (it drew blood). It was a porcupine quill. Unfortunately, by the
Vet touching the quill it went back into her leg and we were unable to
withdraw it. So, I check everyday for it to come to the surface again and
will remove it when I can. It is pointless to do surgery, as these quills
can move to a different place while the surgeon is make the incision.

Eighteen months ago (Nov. 93) - 4 of my Bernese got into a porcupine. What
a horrible day. Two of them had heads resembling pin cushions, they were
so loaded with quills. KD had her share of them in her face and chest and
my male, Duff had 3 in his nose and a couple in his paw (and was the
biggest suck of the lot). Anyway, I managed to get them all in the van and
off to the Vet to have the quills removed. Three hours and $300.00 later -
the quills were out.

For the next couple of months I continued to pull quills out of Brett's
head (as they worked their way towards the surface). A year later, I
pulled one out near her eye socket.

My point is that I could have spent countless dollars x-raying KD's leg and
looking for some reason for her limping - as I would never have made the
connection to porcupine (18 months ago) and her limping today. Quills do
NOT show on x-ray.

I hope that this helps someone who is having problems with their dog and
cannot find a reason. Perhaps the problem is a nasty quill from a long
forgotten porcupine episode.

Debbie Tripp
Kimberlite Kennels Reg'd
Bernese Mountain Dogs

Hi,

this seems to be a long time ago, but I am going to writ anyways...

My dog attacked a porcupine a week ago, and had the quills removed then. The quills seemed to be concentrated on his face and one or two on his leg. He had no noticeable change in motion.
A few days ago, he started to limp. I cannot find any quills/injury to his limping leg and he doesn't mind me inspecting it.
Did your dog improve after some time?

thank you for sharing your experience
Old October 15th 12, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Jo Wolf

Remember, this limping can be caused by many things other than a quill.
And probably IS.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA