Big vs. Little Dogs?

Old July 29th 03, 03:48 PM

Default Big vs. Little Dogs?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Arinté wrote:

My wife made a comment that a big dog would, if given the opportunity, eat
himself to death, but a small dog wouldn't.

I totallly disagree, especially seeing that our mini schnauzer stole some
biscuits ate them and went back for more.

I am wrong?

nope. it has nothing to do with the size of the dog. food
obsession is more common in some breeds than others, but that
doesn't mean that all dogs of those breeds will be pigs or
that all dogs of non-food obsessed breeds will not be pigs.

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old July 29th 03, 08:08 PM
FurPaw

Arinté wrote:
My wife made a comment that a big dog would, if given the opportunity, eat
himself to death, but a small dog wouldn't.

I totallly disagree, especially seeing that our mini schnauzer stole some
biscuits ate them and went back for more.

I am wrong?

Some data points: We have two Chihuauas, a German Shepherd and a
Labrador Retriever.

German Shepherd: eats until she is full, then stops

Labrador Retriever: eating machine; he'd eat until he burst if
he could

One Chihuahua: somewhat picky eater, would be downright finicky
if there weren't other dogs around waiting to finish up his leftovers

Other Chihuahua: eating machine; nearly did eat until she burst
one time; we watch her carefully now.

So it doesn't seem that you can generalize based on size of the dog.

FurPaw

--
There's no reason to give credence to anything spoken above 90
decibels.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old July 29th 03, 08:19 PM
Child

"Arinté" wrote in
:

My wife made a comment that a big dog would, if given the opportunity,
eat himself to death, but a small dog wouldn't.

I totallly disagree, especially seeing that our mini schnauzer stole
some biscuits ate them and went back for more.

I am wrong?

He is wrong.

My friends chihuahua got into a sample of dog food (one cup) and ate the
entire thing. She was so belly-round she looked like a pot bellied pig.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 30th 03, 02:16 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Arinté" wrote in message
My wife made a comment that a big dog would, if given the opportunity, eat
himself to death, but a small dog wouldn't.

I totallly disagree, especially seeing that our mini schnauzer stole some
biscuits ate them and went back for more.

I am wrong?

From my experience (although I've seen a lot of awfully obese dogs,
I don't know if that would be included in the "eat themselves to death"
category--they eat what we give them, it's OUR responsibility), I'd
have to say no.

I think I've seen more little dogs (under 40#) that are free-fed
than big dogs, but I've certainly seen fat dogs in all categories.
I've got a 52# (and THIN) Belgian Sheepdog that would eat
until he blows up if given the chance (he's not!). And a 67#
Collie-mix that is VERY meticulous & picky. I choose how
much they get, and what times they get it. *I* keep them
from overeating (well, the Belgian at least! :-))

At the vet clinic, I see a lot of FAT Shelties, Chihuahuas, Daucshunds,
Cockers and Labs. LOTS of fat Labs, but given their propensity
for loving to eat, I'm not surprised! :-)
Shelly & The Boys