Breed characteristics - Poodles

Old November 7th 03, 02:01 AM
RF

Default Breed characteristics - Poodles

We're looking for a miniature poodle and want to know what they would be
like - health-wise, to train, as companions, etc. Pros, cons, and general
comments.

Any help welcome.

TI - RF.

Old November 8th 03, 09:06 AM
Jo Wolf

I really strongly suggest that you go to the poodle people for your
basic information... at least to some books on the breed...

Poodles... the standards... were developed by the Russian and German
nobility as water retrievers. They have great stamina, are smarter than
all get out, and have a very quirky sense of humor... regardless of
size.

Finally recognized as being retrievers, the AKC has allowed the standard
poodle to compete in field trials and hunt tests for several years now.
They are doing VERY well. The same intelligence, trainability, and
endurance is passed along to the two smaller sizes. The only foo-foo
thing is a foo-foo hairstyle selected by an owner..... I do therapy dog
visits, and one of the hardest working dogs in our group is a 4lb toy
poodle who has learned a ton of tricks and will retrieve a cat-toy ball
by the hour.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old November 12th 03, 12:39 PM
Turbocane

"RF" wrote in message
We're looking for a miniature poodle and want to know what they would be
like - health-wise, to train, as companions, etc. Pros, cons, and general
comments.

Any help welcome.

TI - RF.

We have two miniature poodles. Two males just over 11 inches. They are
almost as small as a mini can be and still be called a mini. They are
absolutely hands down the smartest, most loving dogs I have ever owned. I
grew up with beagles and beagle/dachshunds. Over the past 26 years I have
had a Lab, a Lab/Sheltie and these two little guys. Their understood
vocabulary is amazing. They know everyone's name. If I say, "Where is so
and so" the oldest will go and get so and so. They know the names of their
toys. They constantly amaze me. The older one is the house monitor. He
lets me know if the cat's bowls are empty etc.

I can certainly tell there is retriever in their background because they
will fetch a ball all day if a person is willing to throw it. The younger
one invents games with balls. He will place it on the covers of the bed and
then pull the blanket. When the ball pops up into the air he will catch it
and then start again. Oh and a toy that squeaks or makes noise is poodle
heaven.

They have a sense of humor! Seriously. If someone laughs at a poodle
behavior they will repeat it. For example our older one will look at me out
of the corner of his eye and then pretend he is going to bite me (by jumping
forward) an then give me a kiss. This never fails to make me laugh.

They are like Velcro. They always want to be near some human in our family.
They are not one person dogs but family dogs. They like most people who
come into our house. Once in awhile, as when a repair person comes the
little one will continue to bark unless given correction. But it depends on
the person. They can tell who is a dog person and whom I trust. When my
friends of my college age children come over to visit they act like they are
long lost members of the pack and it is truly touching. When a family
member comes home they are worshipped!

A point he Just because they are small doesn't mean they should be
allowed to jump on people or should not be obedience trained. My dogs are
gentlemen because they have been taught correct behavior. They are so smart
that this is easy. They walk well on a lead.

I love the fact that they do not shed but they have to be brushed or their
fur will matt. This isn't a problem for me as I brushed my other dogs and I
still had hair all over the house.. I groom them myself because I enjoy
it. When they are in mop mode (full face and longer hair) they need to
be brushed every day but they are so cute! If I keep their hair (fur)
short and their faces clean I don't have to brush as often.

I am home all day so I can't comment how they would do alone at home. But
if we leave on a day trip they are not destructive. When we travel we have
kenneled them but we prefer to take them with us. They love to travel and
are very well behaved in hotels.

The only shortcoming is they never bark to go outside. They will sit and
stare at me or try to get my attention in other ways. They do not have
accidents when I am with them but when my 15 year old is home by himself
they will have accidents. They are not haphazard accidents. It is always
by the door so leaving paper down will usually avoid a mess. Our
Sheltie/Lab would have barked at the 15 year old until he let him outside.
We have a fenced yard.

Always make sure you see a puppy's parents. Both of our dog's parents were
loving and gracious to us so we knew there was a good chance the puppy would
be too. These two are such easy dogs I would like to have a third.

They are people in fur.

Turbocane