why do dogs roll on their backs?

Old July 8th 13, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default why do dogs roll on their backs?

My long-haired Chihuahua loves to sniff each lawn on the block, but one and only one house on the block she does something strange. After sniffing, she rolls on her back repeatedly on the spot she has been sniffing. It is not necessarily in the exact same place on that lawn, but it is only on that lawn and no other. I know dogs love to sniff for scents, but why is the scent on that one lawn inducing her to roll on her back? Thanks for your answers.
Old July 9th 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_3_]

wrote:

My long-haired Chihuahua loves to sniff each lawn on the block,
but one and only one house on the block she does something strange.
After sniffing, she rolls on her back repeatedly on the spot she has
been sniffing. It is not necessarily in the exact same place on that
lawn, but it is only on that lawn and no other. I know dogs love to
sniff for scents, but why is the scent on that one lawn inducing her to
roll on her back? Thanks for your answers.

FWIWW dogs like to leave their scents near where other dogs leave their
scents, and dogs have scent glands on their back near their necks, along
with several other locations.
Old July 10th 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mike S.[_2_]

In article ,
William Clodius wrote:
wrote:

My long-haired Chihuahua loves to sniff each lawn on the block,
but one and only one house on the block she does something strange.
After sniffing, she rolls on her back repeatedly on the spot she has
been sniffing. It is not necessarily in the exact same place on that
lawn, but it is only on that lawn and no other. I know dogs love to
sniff for scents, but why is the scent on that one lawn inducing her to
roll on her back? Thanks for your answers.

FWIWW dogs like to leave their scents near where other dogs leave their
scents, and dogs have scent glands on their back near their necks, along
with several other locations.

Our Maltese loves to do it on the few rugs and carpeted stairs of an
otherwise hardwood-floored house. There are no other dogs to obliterate
the scents of. Watching him do it, one gets the distinct impression that,
like rolling in the grass, he simply _enjoys_ the sensation.

Old July 11th 13, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kenny Cargill

I took my black lab, sadly gone now, for a walk along the riverbank. A dead
cow had been washed up and the stench was awful, the dog rolled about all
over the carcass and seemed to be enjoying it. Took ages to get the smell
off her, my stomach was turning when trying to wash her.

Kenny