The Nose...

Old August 1st 03, 04:24 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Default The Nose...

Coda loves his toys.
His very favorite toy is the Cool Kong (aka, "Rope Toy").
However,over a week ago, the RT met it's demise under the
blade of the lawnmower. I looked on all sides of me before
taking off, but it was tucked under the front-end & from my
angle on the seat, I couldn't see it.
First the yellow neoprene rope came flying out. Both
dogs ran after it. Then the blue & white rubber kong part
came flying out, intact--sans rope. All day Coda kept
taking one piece & laying it beside the other piece, as if
to try to make them whole again. Basically, it just ripped
the rope right out.
So, because Bodhi destroyed the smaller Kong, I decided
that I'd rip the scent pad out of the blue & white kong so that
I can stuff it for Coda (who's been w/o, because Bodhi kind of
needs the distraction more than he does while we're away).
I took a pair of needlenose pliers & pulled the
foam scent pad out. I have a small bag hanging on the door of
my laundry room for dryer & lint & small pieces of trash, so
put it in there as I put the pliers away above dryer.

Today, Coda had been walking around w/ his racquetball in
his mouth. I'd already had to retrieve it out from under the door
in the back room once (it's open, but propped against the wall
w/ enough clearance for it to fit under) , so I went to look for
the ball again. No ball. I went back to what I was doing.
I was busy doing something, not paying attention, but could hear
Coda whining & then barking, and the sound of rustling plastic
bag. I couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing.
Bodhi kept staring down the hall, trying to figure it out too.
So finally, I went down there & here he's staring at me for help.
I look around, can't see the racquetball anywhere. I say, "Coda,
Find It", hoping he'll at least give me a clue as to where to look.
He nudges the bag, hanging on the door. I say, "Your ball's not
in there!" but I look anyway, nothing, and hang it back up. "Find it"
I say again, and again he nudges the small plastic "lint bag".
So I take it down & say, "here ya go, what are you looking for?"

Immediately he pulls the scent pad that I'd long forgotten about out.
Sometimes I forget just how cool Coda is. :-)
Shelly & The Boys
--
http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/BSD.html