How to complain about a breeder

Old November 7th 03, 11:38 PM
Charles Duncan

Default How to complain about a breeder

Is there an association or group that accepts complaints against a breeder
who sold a young puppy, knowing it had medical problems but did not tell the
buyer?

---

Old November 8th 03, 12:53 AM
Emily Carroll

No. Though you may have consumer protection groups and/or a puppy lemon law
in your jurisdiction.

--
Emily Carroll
Dealing 80s Toys - Rainbow Brite - My Little Pony - More

Old November 8th 03, 11:39 AM
culprit

"Charles Duncan" wrote in message
Is there an association or group that accepts complaints against a breeder
who sold a young puppy, knowing it had medical problems but did not tell

the
buyer?

if the breeder is affiliated with a breed club, kennel club, or registry of
any sort you should be able to file a complaint with them.

-kelly

Old November 8th 03, 10:40 PM
Lynn K.

"culprit" wrote in message ...

if the breeder is affiliated with a breed club, kennel club, or registry of
any sort you should be able to file a complaint with them.

Not really, unless there is a registration or contract problem, a
violation of a signed Code of Ethics agreement, or a puppy lemon law
violation. It this person bought a pup without a sales contract,
they're out of luck unless they live where there is a puppy lemon law.

Lynn K.
Old November 9th 03, 12:59 AM
Charles Duncan

Thanks to all who have replied.
There was no contract or agreement of any kind when my son purchased the
registered Bassett Hound who, we later found out, was not gaining weight
like his brother and sister. The day after my son bought the dog, he took
him to the Vet who determined there was a major problem with loss of blood.
(gums were white, not pink). Many tests later and after the dog coughed up a
piece of plastic, he was given a blood transfusion, his stomach was opened
to check for other foreign objects and thankfully he is fine now. Although
the medical problem existed when the dog was purchased, the breeder failed
to tell my son at the time that he knew there was an obvious problem. The
breeder also refuses to pay any part of the $1,400 Vet bill. (He offered to
refund $200 of the $250 that my son paid. My son refused saying he is very
attached to the dog even after a week or ten days and the price of the dog
has nothing to do with the medical bills that were incurred as a result of a
problem that was created before the purchase. My son will keep the dog.
The breeder will keep the $250)

This is the short version of the problem. Thanks again to each of you who
responded to my message.

"Lynn K." wrote in message
om...

Old November 9th 03, 07:36 PM
Emily Carroll

This is the short version of the problem. Thanks again to each of you who
responded to my message.

Small claims court should be able to handle your complaint

Old November 10th 03, 07:22 AM
Lynn K.

"Emily Carroll" wrote in message ...

Small claims court should be able to handle your complaint

Excellent advice. That's probably the best avenue since the problem
obviously existed at time of purchase and there doesn't seem to be
much question about the need for vet care.

Lynn K.
Old November 26th 03, 09:11 PM
Elizabeth Naime

If you can document the existence of the condition at the time of sale,
I bet you'd have an excellent chance in small claims court. I'd love to
see you get reimbursement for taking care of it yourselves, and I'd love
to see the breeder get slapped down if things are entirely as you say.

Only know that there is no spork.

Irish Setters for Sale Traditional Irish Setters Dog breeds 1 October 22nd 03 09:09 PM
Offended a Breeder Tara O. Dog breeds 50 August 19th 03 08:31 PM
portugese Water dogs info Anthony Dog breeds 2 July 19th 03 12:48 AM
Breeder Fees: What's Resonable/Ethical? Andrea Dog breeds 11 July 12th 03 08:29 AM