Woo hoo! We got a Dremel!

Old August 3rd 03, 02:36 AM
Shelley

Default Woo hoo! We got a Dremel!

Hi there. We finally got a Dremel tool today. It's a lot of fun to play
with and so I had to write in to ask... About 6 to 8 months ago there was a
post on here about how someone was using their Dremel to trim their dog's
nails. Now, I am not sure if it will work for Rusty (our 2 1/2 year old
Doxie) because right now he's terrified of the thing and he doesn't object
to having his nails cut the other way, but I thought I'd bring up the
subject again... For whomever it was that used the Dremel to trim their
dog's nails, what tool did you use and at what speed? We got the variable
speed tool and I don't want it too fast that it burns(???) his nails, but I
don't want it to slow that it takes forever to do. Any suggestions?

Shelley & Rusty

http://www.bump.us/rusty

Old August 3rd 03, 03:13 AM
bentcajungirl

I use a Dremel for Lucee. Pre Dremel, it took two people and a large
bathtowel to do her nails. Now, she sits calmly and gives me the next paw.
I use it on low speed. The sanding wheels. I use the coarse, but I read
where someone else preferred the fine grit. Just tap, tap the nail...don't
leave the Dremel on the nail for more than a second. Best dog tool grooming
innovation ever. My vet tech friend even commented that Lucee's nails were
nice and short for a Rat Terrier. (The Rats have a tendency to have ugly
spindly long nails, and aren't very happy about any one touching their
feet.)
Dixie is only 9 weeks old, but is learning to not be afraid of the Dremel.
Perry

Old August 3rd 03, 05:34 AM
Rocky

Shelley said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We got the variable
speed tool and I don't want it too fast that it burns(???)
his nails, but I don't want it to slow that it takes
forever to do. Any suggestions?

Slow speed, coarse sandpaper drum.

If your dog doesn't like the sound, take it slow and easy.

Old August 4th 03, 07:11 AM
Child

"Shelley" wrote in message
Hi there. We finally got a Dremel tool today. It's a lot of fun to play
with and so I had to write in to ask... About 6 to 8 months ago there was

post on here about how someone was using their Dremel to trim their dog's
nails. Now, I am not sure if it will work for Rusty (our 2 1/2 year old
Doxie) because right now he's terrified of the thing and he doesn't object
to having his nails cut the other way, but I thought I'd bring up the
subject again... For whomever it was that used the Dremel to trim their
dog's nails, what tool did you use and at what speed? We got the variable
speed tool and I don't want it too fast that it burns(???) his nails, but

don't want it to slow that it takes forever to do. Any suggestions?

barrel sander, speed 2!!
Tap tap tap tap tap so it doesn't get too hot!

Old August 4th 03, 05:27 PM
KWBrown

"culprit" wrote in
:

how do you get them used to it if they react badly? Lola tries to eat
the dremel when we turn it on. turns to it and air snaps at it. i
assume she's afraid of it or something. we've tried treats, but she
ignores them and keeps trying to eat the dremel.
we just fight her through clipping now, but we'd love to start using
the dremel if possible.

any suggestions?

Baby steps, baby steps. (This is my dog training motto. I wish I followed
it as well as I can say it)

Start by putting stinky cheese on the Dremel while it is off. Let 'em
sniff and eat.

Then put the Dremel nearby. When it is inspected calmly, click-treat.

Then maybe move off-Dremel near dog. When taken calmly, click-treat.

Dremel on, far from dog.

Dremen on, near dog.

On and off while dog in lap.

Et cetera,
et cetera,
et cetera, up to quick buzz on toe, treat.

My dogs don't object to the Dremel itself, at all. (although Storm got her
nose gently sanded once while she inspected it, and still doesn't seem to
mind the thing.) They are less keen on general paw-handling, especially
the rear, but that's improving.

Kate
Old August 4th 03, 07:30 PM
Rocky

culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

how do you get them used to it if they react badly?

Kate said exactly what I would have. A couple of additional
things, though: Are you using it inside out outside? If
inside, the echos may be causing a problem.

Old August 4th 03, 07:34 PM
culprit

"Rocky" wrote in message
culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

how do you get them used to it if they react badly?

Kate said exactly what I would have. A couple of additional
things, though: Are you using it inside out outside? If
inside, the echos may be causing a problem.

hmm, i hadn't thought of that. maybe we'll try it outside.

thanks!

-kelly

Old August 5th 03, 02:33 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Shelley" wrote in

We got the variable
speed tool and I don't want it too fast that it burns(???) his nails,
but I don't want it to slow that it takes forever to do. Any
suggestions?

Now I don't use a Dremel for nails (Moogli is very quirky about nails, so I
let the groomers do them), but whilst I was trying, here is the best page
that I have seen on how to use a dremel.

http://www.greytalk.com/~jrosenberg/dremel/dremel.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/c8j8

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'You may be young only once, but you
can be immature forever.'

Old August 5th 03, 02:48 PM
Suja

Dimpled Chad wrote:

Reward: two moogli kisses at 3 in the morning....

Followed by 'lemme out, lemme out, I've *got* to go pee NOW'

Suja

Old August 5th 03, 03:02 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Suja wrote in :

Dimpled Chad wrote:

Reward: two moogli kisses at 3 in the morning....

Followed by 'lemme out, lemme out, I've *got* to go pee NOW'

Unfortunatley, kisses are not Moogli's preferred method of waking Marcel
up. He prefers to crawl up Gen's body onto her shoulders and then jump on
my face. Ever seen film of a wolf hunting mice in the snow?? Remarkably
similar.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'You have the recall of a lima bean,
Pinky.' -- The Brain