Weekly update (by Marcel for Moogli) (long)_

Old August 5th 03, 04:25 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Default Weekly update (by Marcel for Moogli) (long)_

Condensed version:
Moogli meets my brother (and doesn't like him)
Moogli meets a basset hound (way too slow)
Moogli meets a beagle (nice guy)
Rania (aunts dog) learns to fetch.

Long version

Well, this has been a medium week for Moogli, in terms of excitement.
The crowd at the dog park/run seems to be thinning out. Not a bad thing
at all, but more of a good thing considering the people that are no
longer attending tend to be those with dogs that are really interested
in Moogli and his mom.

Early last week, Moogli met a really nice basset hound. I have never
seen one before, but they are pretty cute. Moogli and his mom were
interested in himand actually went up to him to introduce themselves.
Much tail wagging and crotch sniffing ensued. Then, Moogli and his mom
followed us as we tend to walk at a pretty good clip around the park.
(This has two advantages. The dogs are forced to walk/trot to keep up
with us, and if they fall behind because they are playing, they forget
about us and are starting to realize that they can be more than 10 feet
from us. So far, the record is about 100 metres away before they stop
fighting and come running up to us. Anyways, back to the basset hound.
He tried to follow behind Moogli and Cocotte, but, unfortunately,
bassets were *not* designed for speed. he would run as fast as he could
for about 5 or 10 metres, than decide it wasn't worth it and would just
walk towards them, but never really getting close to them. His tail was
wagging the whole time though and he had a sort of bounce in his step. I
was told by his owners that he weighed about 60 lbs (they said that was
what his breeder said he should weigh)

Later on last week, Moogli and his mom met a 1yr old beagle. She was
very cute, again with a tail that didn't stop wagging. She and the
terrible twosome hada great time. they all liked to play chase games,
generally the beagle being chased by Cocotte who was being chased by
Moogli. Then, when it would turn around, and Moogli would let Cocotte
catch him, the beagle would wait while they would wrestle for a couple
of minutes, adn then take of running again. Like with the bassett hound,
she was close enough to Moogli's size that he was not intimidated by
her. Much crotch sniffing and showing of the particularly good places to
pee on was done. This beagle comes from (apparently) hunting lines. The
breeder actually hunts using his beagles and has the pups tattoed at
birth.

My brother came into town, and we discovered that Moogli does *not* like
my brother. Most people he likes right away. Not my brother. When Gen
picked Shawn up from the bus station, she brought him into the room and
let Moogli out of his cage. Well, he hid behind Gen, with just his head
exposed, barking his "alarm" bark, interspersed with his hey, who are
you, what are you doing here bark. He is getting better with him though.
My brother took a short nap on the sofa, and Moogli discovered that he
doesn't mind if he snuggles up next to him. He (Moogli) still tends to
get *really* big eyes when Shawn picks him up, but it is getting better.
Closest I can guess is that my brother looks like me and walks like me
and yet he is not me. (As an interesting aside, my brother is looking
into getting a Belgian Malinois in the next year or two to train as an
avalanche/SAR/tracking dog. There are (apparantly) a few breeders near
Whistler who have dogs doing that.

Moogli turns amazingly fast. The beagle could sorta keep up, but her
legs were just at the point that her center of balance was a bit too
high to keep her stable on fast turns. He turns a lot faster than his
mom now. When she is chasing him, it is not in a straight line. Lots of
circles and extremly quick changes of direction. He has gained *a lot*
of speed since the beginning of the summer. Watching Moogli and his mom
play is also an exercise in amusement. While he is a bit taller, she is
much more solid than he. When the wrestle, he usually ends up on his
back, pushing at her (with all 4 feet) while she tries to get a hold of
something to grab onto (usually an ear or a lip). However, he tends to
have a lot more energy (or endurance) than she does. When she gets tired
and lays down to relax, he will continue to want to play and will air
bite (not snap) near and around her face.

Ramia (Gen's aunt's dog, a female lab mix) is more or less untrained.
She listens to her aunt and that is about it. She found a tennis ball in
their back yard and started to play with it. I grabbed it and sthrew it.
She went chasing after it, and brought it back to me. I let her play
with it a bit, then I grabbed it of fthe ground and threw it a couple of
times. Gen's aunt (Lynne) said that you *had* to be quick and grab the
ball from her mouth if you wanted to get it. I sid that I didn't think
so and I could get Ramia to play nicer (as in not run away with the
ball) in about 20 minutes. I started playing fetch, and when she would
bring the ball back, I would reach for it/walk towarsd her. When she
would run away, I would go do something else for a couple of minutes and
then go back to playing with her. I would grab the ball and throw it,
and she would come back. After about 20 minutes (only 10 of actuialy
interaction) she had learned that, if she wanted me to throw the ball,
when I walked up to her and said "donne!" (Give!) she had to let go of
the ball. As soon as I had it in my hand I would throw it, so her reward
was instantaneous. The aunt was astonished.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Beam me aboard, Scotty.' 'Sure thing,
Captain: Will a 2x10 do?'