first bike ride

Old August 6th 03, 02:10 AM
bentcajungirl

Default first bike ride

I couldn't tell from the photo in the ad where the "springer" attached, but
as long as it is ANYWHERE except the handlebars, then that's ok. I don't
care how slow you go or well behaved or "predictable" the dog is, it is
never a good idea to attach anything to the handlebars. No swinging bags of
groceries, six packs of beer or dogs. It's your steering wheel, duh....Too
sensitive of an area on the bike. If anything happens, you lose control,
possible go down, take down someone else, possible take down the dog.
Attach to the rear (more weight) of the bike.
Perry

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote
in message ...
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:50:39 -0400, "jayjay"
wrote:

Chloe's mom - aka jayjay...

Tonight I took chloe for her first bike ride. What a rush.

Jayjay, just in case you've never heard of it:

http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm

It might make things a little safer for both you and your dog.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail

Old August 6th 03, 02:22 AM
jayjay

I haven't read the whole site - although I have heard about it. But - what
I did tonight was only held the leash on my thumb - and if I needed to let
go in a hurry because she bolted the other way - I just let go. Granted -
I'd never do this outside our little route up and down the street.

. ..

Old August 6th 03, 04:29 AM
D.Currie

Having her run away from you is one issue, certainly, but this Springer
gizmo also keeps the dog a safe distance away from the bike...no bumping
into the bike, crossing in front of you and getting run over, sticking a paw
or tail in the spokes, getting caught up in the pedals.