adopting a 3 yo English BD

Old August 8th 03, 04:18 PM
Kathy

Default adopting a 3 yo English BD

We are a 3 person family - Mom, Dad and 12 year old boy. We are
thinking of adopting a 3yo Old English Bulldog. My question - how does
this breed deal with change? The dogs (Bennie's) now family has no
kids and they want to place him in a family that will give him some
good play time. They think a 12 yo boy will be a good fit.

Any advice on handling the transition for Benny? Thanks for any help.
Old August 9th 03, 03:52 AM
Child

"Kathy" wrote in message
om...
We are a 3 person family - Mom, Dad and 12 year old boy. We are
thinking of adopting a 3yo Old English Bulldog. My question - how does
this breed deal with change? The dogs (Bennie's) now family has no
kids and they want to place him in a family that will give him some
good play time. They think a 12 yo boy will be a good fit.

Any advice on handling the transition for Benny? Thanks for any help.

Benny should adapt pretty quickly to his new home, if he is given love and
patience! Bullogs love everyone, and should be pretty quick to fit in to a
new family.

Old August 9th 03, 04:09 AM
Jdoee

English bulldogs aren't known for being really athletic dogs. So while
your son can have a great time with Bennie, he shouldn't expect him to run
alongside his bike for miles. See if you can get any kind of answer from
the family as to why they are giving Bennie up. Depending on how much
Bennie has been trained, or not, your son might take Benny to a basic
handling class. Have fun! jdoee

----------

Old August 15th 03, 04:18 PM
BandLSeammen

We bought a 22 month old Bulldog in 1993 (from his breeder). He fitted in
from day
one with my husband and me. The first thing he did when he arrived at our
house was
to climb into a chair in the lounge. From that day it was his chair. He went
everywhere
with us. We still showed him in the Veteran classes at the "Bully Shows" at
the age of 10 years.
He enjoyed the shows and the other Bullies.

Unfortunately he had late developing hip-dysplacia and was put to sleep at
the age of 10years 3 months.
We couldn't bare to see his chair without him sitting in it. So we took out
our feelings on the chair
and broke it up and got rid of it.

Bullies may not be atheletic but they are wonderful company.

Good luck if you decide to adopt a Bully.

--
Linda

--

Remove XX for correct e-mail address

om...

Old August 26th 03, 04:35 PM
Kathy

We now have Benny! Benny (Benson) had a bad first day - he has car
anxiety and we had to drive 30 minutes to get him home. During that
time he threw up a lot and tried to jump out of the window. By the
time we arrived home, he was hyper-ventlating. His tongue was purple,
he was wheezing and his face was gray. We put him in the bath tub and
hosed him off to cool him down and that did the trick. That night he
was quite docile. He was probably anxious and overwhelmed (all my sons
friends had to coe see him).

While we have a crate for him but I don't like crating dogs so I've
left him alone for gradually longer times during the day. He has been
fine. Benny is very clean and in the week we have had him has had no
accidents in the house. He likes to get up on the furniture, but we
broke that habit by getting him his own dog bed. He knows it is his,
sleeps on it and has not tried to get on furniture since!

Benny has short spurts of intense energy. My son plays soccer with
him. Benny likes to chase the ball down and stand over it. So now
Benny is the goalie.

Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes! This bulldog fit
right into our family. Now I have to acclimate the cat!!!

Kathy