Puppy aggression towards older dog - Fear??

Old August 8th 03, 05:48 PM
Sarah

Default Puppy aggression towards older dog - Fear??

We have a 6 month old female border collie/austrailian shepherd mix.
She is very submissive with other dogs and with humans and just loves
attention from anyone that will give it to her. We take her to
obedience classes and does really well. We never have a problem with
people aggression, we can take food, toys, etc away from her and it
doesn't phase her.

A month and a half ago we watched my dad's 7 year old male corgi mix.
He always growls when you get near him when he has food or a toy. Well
they got along great until one day we threw one of his toys and they
both went for it. He growled and bit her. She got very angry and
started barking like crazy, fur standing up, the works. They can be
around each other fine without any problems UNTIL he starts to growl.
Anytime he even growls a little she gets very very aggressive. She
gets jealous of him if he has a toy or if we are petting him and that
can cause her to get aggressive too. So it's gotten to the point where
she does it whenever she feels threatened by him at all even though he
generally never bites anyone and I don't think would bite her again.
She is only like this with him and we can't figure out if its because
she was bitten by him or simply because he is the only dog that has
stayed at our home. When she isn't being aggressive she is very
submissive to him, rolls on her back, etc.

I'm not sure how to correct this behavior.. I don't want this to
happen towards other dogs. We have tried putting her outside on her
lease alone but that just makes her bark constiently. We have also
tried telling her 'NO' or correcting her with her lease/choke collar
when she does that. How can I get her to stop acting this way? HELP!
Old August 8th 03, 08:25 PM
Alison

"Sarah" wrote in message
om...

I'm not sure how to correct this behavior.. I don't want this to
happen towards other dogs. We have tried putting her outside on her
lease alone but that just makes her bark constiently. We have also
tried telling her 'NO' or correcting her with her lease/choke collar
when she does that. How can I get her to stop acting this way? HELP!

Hi Sarah ,
Your pup was bitten by the corgi and he growls at her so its
understandable that she feels aggressive to wards him . By correcting
her I assume you are yanking on her choke and causing her discomfort
and/or pain which she will only associate with the corgi and it will
make her more aggressive topwards him .
As Jack said , avoid the corgi , put *him* outside . He was the one
that started all the trouble and *your* dog , who sounds a
sweetheart, is paying for it . If she is ok with other dogs at
training classes then you don't have a problem.
Alison