Anybody have lots of experience with Samoyed bitches?

Old August 9th 03, 04:19 PM
jake huffman

get her spayed, ASAP.

[jake]

fuzzywzhe wrote:

I do dog rescue, but I usually end up with males. But I ended up adopting
a really sweet female Samoyed, and she's a little nuts I think. I'm her
4th home I think so that might be a part of it.

A lot of people in my rescue says it's perfectly normal to have a growly
dog. She growls when my little male mutt edges in for attention, when he
crowds into the door pushing her aside, that kind of stuff - but she's not
at all aggressive. People in my rescue say this is normal for a sammy bitch,
Samoyeds are pretty expressive. Females are DEFINATELY different than males
personality wise, males are goofy, females.... well "bitchy" seems to be
a good definition - at least with mine.

Now, my problem (?)

She growls when I hold her, pet her sometimes, when I move her. If she's
on the couch and I want to lie down, she's quite vocal about me moving
her. She growls at other dogs, although she's not aggressive toward them.
She growls if I call her off the couch, or onto the couch. If she's lying
down and I motion for her to come over and call her - she growls. If I'm
insistent, she'll get up and come over, often with a bark. I spoiled her
rotten I admit. She never bares her teeth except in PLAY (and she can
look quite fearsome), she isn't aggressive toward me, but she complains a
lot. An awful lot.

I'm trying to figure out if I should try to correct this behaviour, or if
she's genuinely annoyed by me? Should I adjust MY behavior? Does anybody
have a Samoyed? She seems to be worse lately. It doesn't bother me really,
but am I bothering her? What should I do? Her happiness is important to
me, I don't want to be bossing her around all the time making her pissed
off. IS she pissed off? I just have NO IDEA.

I should also note that she's a submissive peer. If I scold her, I end
up with a puddle to clean up. She's much better about this now, because
I almost never scold her, I always try to be positive with her in training.
The only time I scold her really now is if she's off leash and ignores me
when I call her back (typical of a female Samoyed) outside - I scold her
for her own safety since the last thing I want her to do is to wander in
to the street, but I want to give her some freedom to explore beyond a
leash. I live in a neigborhood with little traffic and only walk her on
off hours off leash - I know you can never really trust a Sammy off leash
too, nobody needs to tell me that. I'd run in front of a car before she
got run over too, haven't had to do that yet - but I have good insurance

I should tell you: If you don't have a Samoyed, you probably won't be able
to help me. These dogs are UNIQUE. I've done rescue for Siberians, Border
Collies, and Australians Shephards, and lots of mixes of the above and
this is a new can of worms.

I just want advice from somebody with a female Sammy.

Oh yeah, she IS spayed. All rescues are, well, except the males, they are
castrated

thanks.

Old August 9th 03, 04:52 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 15:19:40 GMT, jake huffman
wrote:

get her spayed, ASAP.

Read people's posts, Jake. The OP said this dog is spayed. Also,
spaying a female dog has absolutely nothing to do with the type of
behavior she is describing.

Mustang Sally

Old August 9th 03, 05:19 PM
jake huffman

shelly wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 15:19:40 GMT, jake huffman
wrote:

get her spayed, ASAP.

did you actually *read* the post?

cut me a break!
Are you always this nice or is this just my lucky day?
sheesh!

[jake]

Old August 9th 03, 05:26 PM

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Does your behavior say "tramp"?
Old August 9th 03, 05:30 PM
jake huffman

wrote:

get her spayed, ASAP.

Read people's posts, Jake. The OP said this dog is spayed. Also,
spaying a female dog has absolutely nothing to do with the type of
behavior she is describing.

whoops! sorry about that Sally. I must have missed that. I just like to
take every opportunity I can get to promote responsible pet ownership.

[jake]

Mustang Sally

Old August 9th 03, 05:35 PM
Rocky

shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

get her spayed, ASAP.

did you actually *read* the post?

I'm beginning to believe my comment about Jake trolling. Too
bad that he's using the suffering of unwanted dogs as his
platform.

Old August 9th 03, 05:41 PM
sighthounds etc.

wrote:

get her spayed, ASAP.

Read people's posts, Jake. The OP said this dog is spayed. Also,
spaying a female dog has absolutely nothing to do with the type of
behavior she is describing.

whoops! sorry about that Sally. I must have missed that. I just like to
take every opportunity I can get to promote responsible pet ownership.

I understant that; I do too. But I think you'll find that most of the
people who frequent this ng are responsible pet owners.

Mustang Sally

Old August 9th 03, 06:39 PM

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:00:21 GMT, jake huffman
wrote:

Well, I guess I'm the group whipping boy now,
especially for you and shelly and rocky.

if i were in the market for a whipping boy, i wouldn't look here.

Sorry if I'm not perfect.

don't beat yourself up over it, few people are.

you go to emilys website and tell me she is not
obsessed with breeding? She's got a whole page
of fantasy breedings and other really weird
stuff.

it's not weird. it suggests that Emily has the passion and
thoughtfulness to one day be one of the few people who breed
responsibly. i feel much better about her possibly becoming a breeder
than i do about someone who *doesn't* demonstrate what you call an
"obsession." potential breedings and their outcomes is something all
responsible breeders "obsess" about.

I'm not going to change my opinion just
because people jump on me.

no, that would be silly. you should reconsider your opinion because
you've been presented with new information. that's what reasonable
people do.

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Dreams are like water, colourless and dangerous.
-- This Mortal Coil, "The Lacemaker"
Old August 9th 03, 06:39 PM

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:19:51 GMT, jake huffman
wrote:

cut me a break!

you first, sweetpea!

Are you always this nice or is this just my lucky day?
sheesh!

there's proof positive that you haven't been lurking. if you *had*
you'd've known that i *was* being nice to you. HTH!

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Beware of one who points, for he may poke you in the eye.