PetsMart Work Stories

Old August 10th 03, 01:48 AM
Leah

Default PetsMart Work Stories

So I see Baylee coming into the store, step-by-step, because mom is not letting
him pull (yay!!!). But as soon as the young lab is inside, he's attempting to
jump on every single person he sees. He's so fast, he makes it occasionally,
and gets rewarded with pets. AARRGHHHH!!! Mom is trying hard, though, and I
remember how difficult it was - still is, sometimes - to anticipate Madigan's
lightning-fast moves in her adolescence.

Baylee graduates next week. He's as typical an 8 month old chocolate lab as he
can be. Friendly, intelligent, generally biddable though pushy,
food-motivated, exuberantly playful, and psychotic. He'll do just fine until
he gets overexcited, and then all bets are off. Sometimes he's 100% in class.
Sometimes a good shade under. All people are wunnerful, wunnerful!!! Baylee
has been known to jump the training area barrier to greet somebody.

So I go through the curriculum, which is all about grooming, feeding, and vet
care, and then I figure we're going to do some work on Baylee's jumping. Two
dogs in this class, and the mom of the other dog is always chatting with other
people, so plenty of opportunity to work alone with him.

So I put on my happy feet and happy voice, and go dancing around him trilling,
"Hi, Baylee!" Of course, he should get excited and attempt to jump up on me.
Nope. He sat. I rewarded him, and tried it several more times, each time
trying to be even more excited and enthusiastic. And each time, he sat.

The little stinker. None of us could get him to jump up.

I'm thinking... age. If they stay as consistent as they can be, once he has a
little maturity he will be better able to control himself when he gets excited.

I also have a beagle puppy in a class who will *not* do the things mom
complains about in class. For example, she says he bites on his leash and
growls when she tries to put it on him, no matter what she does. Bitter apple
doesn't help. Mom says she thinks he's being aggressive. Well, I can assume
he's playing - it's a pretty good bet from what I've seen of him in class - but
I'd like to see it. So I put his leash on him. No problem. I take it off and
tell her to put it on him. He just sits there like a good little boy.

The technique I told her to try worked... but if it hadn't, I really would have
*had* to see it to figure out what to do next.

Then there's the golden who graduated yesterday. This exceptionally sweet
(even for a golden) almost-6 month old has been one of my best students. And
the only other student in her class is also exceptionally sweet and biddable.
It's been a great class, and the two puppies get along so well that the owners
are considering play dates.

I time the graduation test, and the last sticker goes to the dog who gets
through the exercises the fastest. Annie and Cleo were tied for stickers, so I
noted that the test would determine the winner. Annie's dad said, "You might
as well give the sticker to Cleo now."

I was puzzled. "Are you kidding? Annie will do great!"

"No, she won't," he grinned.

Apparently, Annie tumbled into adolescence head first that week. Just that
quickly. She wouldn't even SIT on command! The average time through the test
is 1-1/2 minutes. She took almost 3. Forget the leave it. (Partly my fault -
I usually use a dry biscuit, thinking it's not as tempting as the treats they
usually get. I forgot that's Annie's favorite treat. :}

I had some really great classes this week.

Sofia, a 4 month old lab, came into the first class showing signs of
fear-aggression. She was afraid of strange people and strange dogs, and would
react to them with barking and growling, while backing up and cowering. Mom
hadn't socialized her, and I was hoping it wasn't too late. In the first class
we talk about the importance of socialization. Apparently mom listened.

In the second class, two weeks later (I had vacation), Sofia came bouncing in
and greeted me with a kiss. Then she started playing with the other puppies
like she's known them forever. I marveled about the change (and gave her a
sticker :}, and mom said she's been spending EVERY DAY socializing Sofia. She
did a fabulous job. Sofia showed not *one* sign of fear.

Shadow, a striking FCR/chow mix, has been in class for 7 weeks, and last week
was the first time he allowed me to pet him. He loves his family (who rescued
him), but is afraid of everybody else. Today he approached me for pets. Then
he laid on his side and let me rub his chest and belly.

All in all, an interesting week. :}

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old August 11th 03, 04:30 AM
Sionnach

All people are wunnerful, wunnerful!!! Baylee
has been known to jump the training area barrier to greet somebody.

This is yet ANOTHER issue I have with the the PetMart idiocy of having
classes in the middle of the store, contained by flimsy portable barriers.
Last time I was in our local one, a *large* dog- looked like an Airedale
mix- who was supposed to be doing a recall decided instead to charge my dogs
as we walked past on our way to get treats.
He wasn't playing, either; he was barking and snarling, and lunged into
the propped up mesh gate that was blocking the opening so hard that he
actually knocked it over- it did slow him down enough that the "trainer" was
able to grab his leash and stop him.
Lucky for his owner that *my* guys didn't respond in kind, but instead
jumped back out of the way, although Brenin growled.

I wouldn't be very happy if an exuberant Lab came over the barrier to
"greet" my guys, either. :-P

--
Sarah
Brenin, CGC, AD, O-EAC-V, O-EJC-V, EGC

we can be seen at: http://photos.yahoo.com/amberdogs1
and http://photos.yahoo.com/amberdogs2

Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 04:38 AM
PetSmart Training Class Carney Dog behavior 82 September 14th 03 01:45 PM
Dental work prices for rescue dog? crosem Dog health 3 August 24th 03 02:38 AM
Bare Floor Solutions at Work Leah Dog behavior 2 July 23rd 03 09:15 AM