Found Border collie in Houston Texas

Old August 10th 03, 09:41 AM
Mick McMillin

Default Found Border collie in Houston Texas

How do I find the owner? We live in the richmond gessner area. The dog has
been trained well. She sits, stays, shakes, fetches, catches frisbees and
herds my border terrier into the kitchen for no apparent reason. This is
definitly someones pet and we are trying to return it to the rightful owner.
We already took her to the vet to see if she was chipped and it was no dice.
We are making flyers at home and are trying to decide rather or not to put a
picture on it so someone just does not claim it to have a free dog ( she's
gorgeous) Any advice you could give on finding the owner would be great.
Thanks for your time and effort as it is much appreciated. Mick

Old August 10th 03, 12:37 PM
bentcajungirl

Put an ad in the paper, vaguely say what kind of dog it is, without giving
away too much information. I found a dog one time, my ad read "Found: Pit
Bull. Identify dog, pay for ad". Withing 24 hours the owner showed up. (a
friend of theirs had seen the ad, and passed it on to the owners) Or find a
rescue service that specializes in that breed. Houston is such a HUGE
place. Good luck.
Perry
. ..

Old August 11th 03, 02:27 PM
Suja

Mick McMillin wrote:
How do I find the owner? We live in the richmond gessner area. The dog has
been trained well. She sits, stays, shakes, fetches, catches frisbees and
herds my border terrier into the kitchen for no apparent reason. This is
definitly someones pet and we are trying to return it to the rightful owner.
We already took her to the vet to see if she was chipped and it was no dice.
We are making flyers at home and are trying to decide rather or not to put a
picture on it so someone just does not claim it to have a free dog ( she's
gorgeous) Any advice you could give on finding the owner would be great.
Thanks for your time and effort as it is much appreciated. Mick

Let's see:

Post flyers in the neighborhood where the dog was found, as well as at
any vet's offices and groomers that are nearby. Don't put up pictures
in the flyers, but show it to the people who work at these places just
in case they recognize the dog.

Most newspapers will put up free 'Lost & Found' ads. Leave out crucial
details so that anyone who calls will have to identify this dog.

Call animal control and file a 'Found dog' report. Some may require
that you turn the dog into their control, and you can do that if you
have no plans for keeping this dog or finding it a home. If you do not
want to relinquish control over this dog, ask them if there is any way
you can keep it for the requisite number of days and then obtain a
license for it. Or, you can turn the dog over to them, and give them
your contact information so that you will be called if no one comes to
claim the dog.

Good luck,
Suja

Old August 13th 03, 10:02 AM
Mick McMillin

I found the owners flyer when I was out shopping. They had a joyful reunion
when they met. He also desribed the dog to a tee. He also described the dogs
collar which I never did. Their was no doubt whos dog this was. Thanks for
your help. Mick

Old August 14th 03, 02:50 AM
Jdoee

Happy news! You done good. jdoee