masticatory muscle myositis - anyone deal with this.

Old November 12th 03, 08:38 AM
Andrea

Default masticatory muscle myositis - anyone deal with this.

First, let me apologize for the cross post.

I'm looking for someone who has experience with masticatory muscle myositis,
a.k.a. MMM. My mother's Standard Poodle, who is about 11mo, was recently
diagnosed with MMM testing positive in a CBC and 2M anti-body. My mother
recognized he was having difficulty perhaps a week ago when he seemed
reluctant to eat or play fetch and was very unhappy in general. She thinks
she might recall some related problems earlier on (perhaps a week to 10days)
but I cannot recall the exact problem. The veterinarian had difficulty
opening his jaws when anesthetized.

There does not seem to be a lot of information on the Internet about it.
What I've read indicates if caught early, prognosis is good, but what is
"early"? How can one tell advanced the disease is?

Has anyone been through this? My mother had a very difficult time getting
her vet to listen to her, or even do the tests at all. Public and private
response welcome. Unmung the email address first if private. (andrea dot
stone two at verizon dot net)

Thanks,

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old November 12th 03, 09:46 AM
Abby Pennington

"Andrea" wrote in
:

I'm looking for someone who has experience with masticatory muscle
myositis, a.k.a. MMM. My mother's Standard Poodle, who is about 11mo,
was recently diagnosed with MMM testing positive in a CBC and 2M
anti-body.

Just curious, how did the CBC show what was going on? Are there inclusion
bodies in the cells? (Not being snotty, I really want to know!)

Has anyone been through this? My mother had a very difficult time
getting her vet to listen to her, or even do the tests at all. Public
and private response welcome. Unmung the email address first if
private. (andrea dot stone two at verizon dot net)

I'm sorry, I've not had any experience with this, but I say time for a
new vet and a second opinion if her current vet is not placing any value
on her concerns!!! Maybe a vet school--is there one near her?

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****
Old November 12th 03, 06:23 PM
Andrea

Abby Pennington" wrote

Just curious, how did the CBC show what was going on? Are there inclusion
bodies in the cells? (Not being snotty, I really want to know!)

I don't know, Abby. I'm just repeating what my mom said on the phone. It
sounded kind of confused to me. It probably is - she doesn't deal with
medical problems well and has a little trouble absorbing information well or
asking for explanations when she doesn't understand something. Wish I was in
the same state to help out. Heck, wish I was on the same coast.

Maybe a vet school--is there one near her?

Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine is a couple hours
from her. I'm going to suggest she contact them.

Old November 12th 03, 08:38 PM
Abby Pennington

"Andrea" wrote in
:

I don't know, Abby. I'm just repeating what my mom said on the phone.
It sounded kind of confused to me. It probably is - she doesn't deal
with medical problems well and has a little trouble absorbing
information well or asking for explanations when she doesn't
understand something. Wish I was in the same state to help out. Heck,
wish I was on the same coast.

I know how frustrating it is to want to be there, but can't. And I can
imagine how worried she must be, too.

Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine is a couple
hours from her. I'm going to suggest she contact them.

Good idea. Sounds like MMM is a type of lockjaw..? Could tetanus be a
possibility? Good luck to her, though. I wish I could help more.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****
Old November 12th 03, 11:31 PM
buglady

"Andrea" wrote in message
I'm just repeating what my mom said on the phone. It
sounded kind of confused to me. It probably is - she doesn't deal with
medical problems well and has a little trouble absorbing information well

or
asking for explanations when she doesn't understand something.

..........Have her ask the vet for all copies of blood and lab work. She can
send you xeroxes and you can go from there. Filtering info through someone
who is intimidated by asking questions won't help define what's going on.
Believe me I know!

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 12th 03, 11:47 PM
buglady

"Abby Pennington" wrote in message
"Andrea" wrote in
:

Sounds like MMM is a type of lockjaw..?
........not exactly.
For the OP:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00068.htm
Masticatory myositis involves antibodies directed at the type 2M fibres
unique to the muscles of mastication: the temporalis, masseter and
pterygoid. Embryologically these muscles are derived from mesoderm.(16) By
two weeks postpartum, these muscles have developed the unique 2M fibres.
Search www.vetinfo.com
Sign up at www.ivis.org and search - costs nothing, you don't have to be a
vet.
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromu...999/may99.html
http://www.ukvet.co.uk/Companion_jul...r_spaniel.html
http://www.vetdentistry.com/dysphagia.html
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00521.htm
http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/cvm/cour...uscular.korneg
ay.PDF

............there's lots more - this was just in 3 pages worth of Google
searching.

Old November 13th 03, 04:40 AM
Andrea

"buglady" wrote
snip handy links

...........there's lots more - this was just in 3 pages worth of Google
searching.

Thank you so much for the links. I Googled it myself before posting but for
whatever reason was only able to come up with a couple of useful links.

Much appreciated.

Old November 27th 03, 02:00 AM
Lori

Hello,

My dog was just diagnosed with MMM on Monday. Long story short....I noticed that when she yawned, she cried. Hasn't been able to open her mouth like she used to. Started her on Prednisone yesterday. I've been very distraught since she's been having this problem. I noticed tonight, her face looks a little boney. But I researched on the internet and that is the characteristic of MMM. Prednisone is prescribed for treatment. Must be taken and monitored. Hope this helps. It's good you posted this message because I didn't know how to handle this. I love my dog so much.

Old November 27th 03, 02:55 AM
AndreaS

"Lori" wrote:

My dog was just diagnosed with MMM on Monday.

snip
It's good you posted this message because I didn't know how to handle

this. I love my dog so much.

Hi Lori,

I'll cross my fingers for you and your dog. Auto-immune problems stink. :-(

It looks like my mom's dog might /not/ have MMM after all, but rather an
extremely nasty and antibiotic resistant yeast infection of the lymph nodes.
Apparently his entire head swelled up, and he had bloody pustules all along
his lips and eye rims. At one point at least one lymph node popped!

My poor mom was probably freaking out. When the test results came back
showing he did have an infection and that it was not an autoimmune response
attacking the lymph nodes, the doc said that he may not have MMM at all. The
infection could have thrown off the tests. They're going to retest and find
out for sure once the infection clears. Of course, he could have both, which
would stink. Can't give Pred until the infection is gone. Good thing they
hadn't started the Pred already!