Madigan's New Toy... and Possibly a New OT Thread on Comedy

Old August 11th 03, 03:57 PM
Leah

Default Madigan's New Toy... and Possibly a New OT Thread on Comedy

Last night I saw Denis Leary's "No Cure For Cancer" show on TV. He did a very
funny bit about NOT buying your children toys that make noise.

Unfortunately, the advice came too late. Yesterday I bought a Buster Cube for
the girls.

The girls? Madigan. She won't let anybody else touch it. However, they're
perfectly content with following her around, getting the occasional flung piece
of kibble... while she BANGS and SMACKS and CRASHES the thing all over the
house.

For 10 minutes. Then it's empty. And Madigan comes back to ask me to fill it
again.

Since it holds a cup of kibble (which I thought would last a while!), I can't
keep filling it up with dog food. So the only thing I've been able to think of
is cutting up a bunch of carrots for it. Which defeats the purpose of getting
a toy that would keep her busy for a while so that I'd get some time to myself.
:}

Oh, well. At least she enjoys it. She'll be getting most of her meals in it
for a while.

But back to Denis Leary... he has two concerts (I can't remember the name of
the other one besides "No Cure For Cancer") that are available on CD. I've
listened to and watched both of them several times, and laugh every time. I
love watching stand-up comics, and have some "favorite bits" that make me laugh
out loud. I was wondering if anybody has seen these, or if you have your own
favorite bits you'd like to talk about:

* Denis Leary - coffee-flavored coffee

* Denis Leary - kids naming the family dog

* Rich (aarghhh... I *know* this guy's name, but can't think of it) - about a
20 minute bit on the Jaws movies

* Rich - the hotdog in the pool

* Rich - two New Yorkers fighting

* And this one is at least ten years old - I can't even remember the comic who
did it - but it was a blues take-off where he sang "I can't stop my leg"

By the way, I agree with the choice of Dat Phan as the winner of Last Comic
Standing. Obnoxious little psycho, but he's got awesome timing. Not very
original - he does a Vietnamese version of Margaret Cho - but he pulls it off
and is even funnier than she is.

Any other stand-up comedy afficionados out there? :}

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old August 12th 03, 02:23 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Leah" -OFF wrote in message
Last night I saw Denis Leary's "No Cure For Cancer" show on TV. He did a

very
funny bit about NOT buying your children toys that make noise.

We used to have contests to see who could buy the most irritatingly
noisy toy for neices/nephews when they were young...hehehe...
(That's why we don't have kids, fear of revenge! grin)

Unfortunately, the advice came too late. Yesterday I bought a Buster
Cube for the girls.

The girls? Madigan. She won't let anybody else touch it. However,
they're perfectly content with following her around,

Yep, that's what happens here. Coda hogs it, Bodhi (and Guiness
used to also) follows to pick up the stuff that falls out. For Coda,
it's all about the Journey. :-) He is the amazing Destructo-Dog when
he's playing with it, bashing it into everything & anything, trying to
get it OPEN!

I was wondering if anybody has seen these, or if you have your own
favorite bits you'd like to talk about:

I have only seen both of his acts once a piece, and should watch
them again. I love the Asshole song, it just makes me laugh every
time--and the story he told (I think on the No Cure for Cancer?) about
how his son got in trouble for talking about/singing it in school was
a crack-up.

By the way, I agree with the choice of Dat Phan as the winner of Last
Comic Standing. Obnoxious little psycho, but he's got awesome timing.
Not very original - he does a Vietnamese version of Margaret Cho - but he

pulls it off and is even funnier than she is.

Didn't watch it...too many reality shows out...Aaaarg! I rented the
last tape Margaret Cho had out (Notorious CHO), and didn't enjoy it nearly
as much as I thought I would. There were a few Very Funny Parts,
but I liked her earlier stuff better.

Any other stand-up comedy afficionados out there? :}

I don't watch as often as I used to, but Eddie Izzard is completely,
hiliarously and intelligently funny. I also tend to like Jeanane Garofolo
(I think I screwed up both of her names) and Laura Kitelinger (I know I
spelled
that wrong too) when she's on as well. Sarcasm works well for me.
Bad thing is, I'll watch them, think they are hilarious, and then forget
who they are unless they become really popular. Richard Jenny is
quite funny, but I don't see much about him anymore.

Old time classic, don't miss if they're on's for me are George Carlin
(he's always got good pet stories too, and one of my favorite lines
anywhe "How come everybody else's stuff is ****, but all your **** is
stuff?") and Lily Tomlin.
Shelly & The Boys

Old August 12th 03, 03:39 AM
Leah

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote:
Richard Jenny is
quite funny, but I don't see much about him anymore.

That's it! That's the guy with the bits about Jaws, New Yorkers fighting, and
the hot dog in the pool!!! I think he and Denis Leary are my favorites.

Nobody remembers "can't stop my leg?" I nearly peed myself watching that one.
I taped it and watched it over and over, and it took a while before I stopped
laughing out loud. The comic who did it also had some very funny bits about
his dog, if I remember correctly.

Same thing with Leary's "kids naming the dog" bit. Every time I thought about
it for the next few days, I'd burst out laughing.

I used to love Carlin. In the 70s, he was my favorite. But I got burned out
on him. He and I don't share the same world view any more. :}

I don't watch as often as I used to, but Eddie Izzard is completely,
hiliarously and intelligently funny. I also tend to like Jeanane Garofolo

Love her. I never heard of Eddie Izzard. I'll have to look for him. Sounds
like we have similar tastes in comics.

I also always liked Rosie O'Donnell as a stand-up. And Margaret Cho, though I
agree with you that her latest stuff isn't as good as early Cho. You should
try to catch Dat Phan. I think you'd like him.

For good, clean humor, Raymond (from Everybody Loves) is really funny. He's a
comic you can turn your mother on to without grimacing. :}

Can't forget the old classic Cosby stuff, either. It's *still* timely and
funny.

Old August 12th 03, 02:49 PM
Mary Healey

Shelly & The Boys wrote:
I can remember watching "Fatherhood" (I think?),
Cosby's stand-up routine back in the early 80s with my mom.

I still use the line "There WILL be beatings" all the time.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,

Old August 13th 03, 12:49 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Mary Healey" wrote in message
Shelly & The Boys wrote:
I can remember watching "Fatherhood" (I think?),
Cosby's stand-up routine back in the early 80s with my mom.

I still use the line "There WILL be beatings" all the time.

LMAO Oh too funny...my Mom picked that up from that
skit. Too funny...I need to rent that & watch it this weekend. :-)
Shelly & The Boys