feeding time

Old August 11th 03, 11:16 PM
James and Karen Stewart

Default feeding time

Is it normal for a dog to jump up and get really exited when I take him
his food. He acts as though he has never been feed before.
He gets feed once a day in the evening, around the normal supper hour (
5:00 -6:00 PM), Is he jsut a normal dog waiting for his supper and
happy to get it, or is this not normal.

My friend says they are pack animals and that they naturally don't know
where their next meal is coming from so they are of the brain set that they
never know when they will get feed again and seed to fight for their food.
We only have the one dog, but there are others in the area....is he
protecting his food from them. Also is he under feed ?? He always eats
every last bit in the dish we give him, and I feel like it is either he is
not getting enough or he is just a big old Pig ....... what's the verdict
??

Thanks
karen

Old August 11th 03, 11:57 PM
FurPaw

James and Karen Stewart wrote:
Is it normal for a dog to jump up and get really exited when I take him
his food. He acts as though he has never been feed before.
He gets feed once a day in the evening, around the normal supper hour (
5:00 -6:00 PM), Is he jsut a normal dog waiting for his supper and
happy to get it, or is this not normal.

Oppie, my Yellow Lab, loses his branes at feeding time. When he
was a pup, he'd leap, jump, bark, and go into a frenzy. We
trained him that he has to lie down in order to get his food (a
behavior that is incompatible with a frenzy), and so now he
limits his frenzy to barking while we are preparing the food.

Our other three dogs are considerably calmer. One barks a little
and all of them just stand around in eager anticipation of the
good things to come.

My friend says they are pack animals and that they naturally don't know
where their next meal is coming from so they are of the brain set that they
never know when they will get feed again and seed to fight for their food.
We only have the one dog, but there are others in the area....is he
protecting his food from them.

Dunno. I've seen a lot a variation, from dogs who like to nibble
off and on all day to dogs who bolt their food.

Also is he under feed ?? He always eats
every last bit in the dish we give him, and I feel like it is either he is
not getting enough or he is just a big old Pig ....... what's the verdict

If he's not underweight, he's not underfed. Some dogs stop
eating when they are full, others eat until all the food is gone,
and would eat more if you gave them more - kind of like people.

You might consider feeding him half the food twice a day. I
don't know if it would calm him down. It doesn't seem to matter
for Oppie; he seems to think he will never get enough to eat -
but he does. We feed ours twice a day.

FurPaw

--
There's no reason to give credence to anything spoken above 90
decibels.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old August 12th 03, 12:23 AM
Mark/Shell

"montana" wrote in message
We feed our three dogs twice a day (and receive many treats throughout
the day), but if you ask them, they'll tell you they are never fed, have
never been fed, and their humans have no plans for feeding them in the
future. They aren't mutts, they're chowhounds!

I loved this post, it made me split my sides laughing as it's so true. My
two start to drool as if they are having something so exciting, not the same
stuff they get everyday!

Shell

Old August 12th 03, 04:38 AM
Laura Arlov

Karen Stewart" wrote
Is it normal for a dog to jump up and get really exited when I take him
his food. He acts as though he has never been feed before.

I agree. One of the many possible ways for a normal dog to act.

Also is he under feed ??

You'd be a better judge of that than us folks on the newsgroup, since you
can see him.

How old is he? Is he growing? Putting on weight? Losing weight?
If he is grown up and his weight is unchanging, that's a sign he's not
underfed, because then he'd be getting skinnier, right?

To figure out if he is underfed, compare his weight to his bodysize, and
take
into account what breed or type of dog he is. (Some breeds are meant to be
pretty skinny, others have more natural heft.) My vet has a rule of thmb:
She likes
to be able to FEEL the dog's ribs through the fur, but not SEE them.
There are probably some breeds that are an exception to this...and also with
many
long coated types I'd think it would be harder to tell.

Laura and Angel
Oslo, Norway

Old August 12th 03, 05:18 PM
James and Karen Stewart

Mine does this to and the longer I make him wait for it the more he calms
down and the more he drools. Just like a baby cutting teeth.
I have made him sit before I will put in down for him to have, He just
pushes me over so he can get at it the second it's an inch off of the ground

Old August 12th 03, 06:14 PM
montana

"James and Karen Stewart" wrote:

Mine does this to and the longer I make him wait for it the more he calms
down and the more he drools. Just like a baby cutting teeth.
I have made him sit before I will put in down for him to have, He just
pushes me over so he can get at it the second it's an inch off of the ground

Our dogs must sit and wait for a release word before they are allowed to
begin eating. Every day, every meal. Dogs are not allowed to be pushy
with food or water. If they are, they have to wait longer to get what
they want. As one of the leaders of the pack, no dog may have anything
until either DH or I say they may have it. Letting them get pushy about
stuff sets a bad example for them, IMO. They also have to wait at doors
until they get an ok to go through.
Old August 12th 03, 06:23 PM
Suja

montana wrote:
Our dogs must sit and wait for a release word before they are allowed to
begin eating. Every day, every meal. Dogs are not allowed to be pushy
with food or water. If they are, they have to wait longer to get what
they want.

Ditto that. With every dog that has passed through the house. Grabbing
for food and being pushy gets them bupkis. Khan not only has to sit, he
has to also do a number of his commands before the food bowl is in front
of his face. Even then, he must get a release before he eats. He is
however, allowed to protest about how shabbily he's being treated. As
long as he quiets on cue.

As one of the leaders of the pack, no dog may have anything
until either DH or I say they may have it. Letting them get pushy about
stuff sets a bad example for them, IMO. They also have to wait at doors
until they get an ok to go through.

I generally don't have to ask Khan to wait at doors these days. He just
does until okayed. Ditto for getting into and out of the car.

Suja

Old August 12th 03, 06:42 PM
Katra

montana wrote:

In article ,
"James and Karen Stewart" wrote:

Mine does this to and the longer I make him wait for it the more he calms
down and the more he drools. Just like a baby cutting teeth.
I have made him sit before I will put in down for him to have, He just
pushes me over so he can get at it the second it's an inch off of the ground

Our dogs must sit and wait for a release word before they are allowed to
begin eating. Every day, every meal. Dogs are not allowed to be pushy
with food or water. If they are, they have to wait longer to get what
they want. As one of the leaders of the pack, no dog may have anything
until either DH or I say they may have it. Letting them get pushy about
stuff sets a bad example for them, IMO. They also have to wait at doors
until they get an ok to go through.

So, do this with your children as well????

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

Breast Implants are the Stupidest idea ever. If I wanted to fondle
$10,000.oo worth of Silicon, I'd buy a new computer! --Anon.

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old August 12th 03, 06:52 PM

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Katra wrote:

So, do this with your children as well????

it's a good idea for dog owners to keep in mind that dogs are
not children.

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old August 12th 03, 06:58 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

shelly wrote in
arble.net:

it's a good idea for dog owners to keep in mind that dogs are
not children.

Oh crap!! Then when I was babysitting, putting the baby in the backyard
with the diaper off when he had to go is not the way to do it??

I guess that means that a large x-pen for the kids who are coming to the
wedding is a *really* bad idea...

Today is: 4 days to my wedding!!! Yeee-haaa!!!
Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Real Trekkers work out at the He's
Dead Gym.'