Breeding

Old November 13th 03, 05:12 AM
Cin

Default Breeding

Hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone here may give me a bit of advice.

I have an 11 week old bull terrier male pup, Atlas. I have been trying to
get onto the breeders to talk to them but no one is home, so i thought i
would post this here and see what you think.

The people i got Atlas off live in the same town as me, they have asked for
him back to breed and said they would like to show him.

The thing is, is there anyway i can find out if he is ok to breed with at
such a young age? I know there are tests that have to be done but if there
is anyway i can get them done nowit would be great. If there is a reason he
cant be used for breeding i want to get him nutered ASAP.
On that note. I am not into showing at all, i want to do obedience and
agility with him, but can a nutered dog still be shown? Or do they have to
be intact?

Thank you for any comments. I will continue to try to get hold of my breeder
to find out more

Cin

--
-------------------------------------

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ccollings/

We really never lose the ones we love...
They live forever within our hearts.

They say a man isn't dead unless he is forgotten, my brother will never be
forgotten

When a baby is born the angels weep and humans rejoice. When a loved one
dies, humans weep, but the angels rejoice."

Old November 13th 03, 06:10 AM
Jo Wolf

IF the breeders want to show him, perhaps they will be willing to do
that... or train you! Here in the US there is a hard core group of us
who participate in several canine sports with the same dog... sometimes
doing 2 or 3 at the same time!

If I recall correctly, in Australia (think that's where you are, based
on the web site address on your post), the dog must remain
reproductively intact while showing.

Breeding.... I would be surprised if they want to breed him this
young... In the US, a good breeder does the OFA hip x-rays at 2 years
of age (or thereafter...), CERF the eyes annually while the dog is being
bred, and there may be other tests related to genetic issues that are
done in your breed....

You have an excellent opportunity with this relationship with your dog's
breeder to widen your knowledge of the principles and concepts of
breeding, breed genetics, notable dogs in the breed, breed history, the
conformation show world, names and faces of the important people in the
breed, etc.... even if all you use it for is your own general "dog-world
education". This is good for the person who will be concentrating on
the performance sports. And you can also Meet very interesting and
knowledgeable folks through them.... perhaps others in the breed who are
noted for training skill and behavior knowledge. I have been blessed
with this type of relationship with a number of breeders... not all of
them with my breed of dog... and things I have learned from them have
often saved my sanity, assisted me to help a dog and its owner, and to
just enjoy the dog world more.

I'm bringing home a 7 month old pup this weekend... one who appears to
have the "right stuff" for show, obedience, agility, and earthdog, to
name a few events.... probably tracking, too. If I hadn't been able to
meet and get to know breeders who are proud of breeding correct and
versatile dogs, there's No way I would have been Offered this caliber of
puppy... I didn't have to go looking... Maybe you, too could be so
fortunate in a few years.!!!!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old November 13th 03, 07:05 AM
Cin

Thank you.

First off, sorry if i didnt say it, but they dont want to breed from him
now, Not for a few years, i was just wondering how old they have to be to
have all the tests done.

My breeder just called me up and explained it all, i sent him some photos
and he told me i am an idiot if i get him nutered, that he is a great
looking dog and will be great to show.

He gave me some pointers and said that the next show is at the end of Jan
next year, that he wants to put Atlas in it, and maybe even put me with him
(i really am nervous about showing) so we will see how we go. Keith my
breeder goes all around for shows, i wont be able to do that but i have told
him that i have no problem with him taking Atlas with him (as long as its
not for too long!)

At the moment i dont have the space nor the money for a second dog (i think
i could live with 100s of dogs, cats, any animal!) In 2 - 3 years i should
be able to buy a house with room for another dog, so i will wait and see
what happens there!

Thank you very much and have fun with your puppy

Cin

Old November 13th 03, 08:09 AM
Andrea

"Cin" wrote
snip
The thing is, is there anyway i can find out if he is ok to breed with at
such a young age?

Short answer: No. I assume they're not talking about breeding him /soon/ and
intend to do all appropriate tests? Here in the US, hip x-rays can only be
done after 2 years of age. (I'm not sure about Oz) Do you co-own the dog, or
is he yours outright? Is showing/breeding in the sales agreement? If not,
and you solely own him, you don't /have/ to do it if you're against it.

Could you become interested in showing? Some people are dubious, and find
out they really enjoy it. Would you give it a chance? It could be a really
fun opportunity for you.

I am not into showing at all, i want to do obedience and
agility with him, but can a nutered dog still be shown? Or do they have to
be intact?

They must be intact. I suggest you give it a whirl and have fun with your
little boy!

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old November 13th 03, 04:34 PM
Gwen Watson

Andrea wrote:

"Could you become interested in showing? Some people are dubious, and find
out they really enjoy it. Would you give it a chance? It could be a really
fun opportunity for you.

-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis
http://home1.gte.net/res0s12z/
The Trolls Nest - greenmen, goblins & gargoyle wall art
www.trollsnest.com

Waving hands here! I am one of those that never considered
showing and now I am learning to love it.

I just rented the movie "Best of Show" what a hoot
but I can see myself as one of "them" sort of.

I will add a second voice here as a newbie in AKC ring.
My corgi hasn't obtained points yet but I am sure when
he does it will be quite a rush!

Gwen

Old November 14th 03, 06:28 AM
Cin

Short answer: No. I assume they're not talking about breeding him /soon/

and
intend to do all appropriate tests? Here in the US, hip x-rays can only be
done after 2 years of age. (I'm not sure about Oz) Do you co-own the dog,

or
is he yours outright? Is showing/breeding in the sales agreement? If not,
and you solely own him, you don't /have/ to do it if you're against it.

I own him, there is nothing in the sales agreement, but my parents are great
friends with the breeder so we see a lot of them.

I am not planning to breed him for quite some time, and not until he has had
all checkes.

Could you become interested in showing? Some people are dubious, and find
out they really enjoy it. Would you give it a chance? It could be a really
fun opportunity for you.

I think i will end up giving it a go.

Thanks

Regarding breeding and Breed suitibility -- Best breed family background EGD Dog breeds 8 October 16th 03 05:37 PM
Regarding breeding and Breed suitibility -- Best breed family background Amanda Tikkanen Dog breeds 0 October 14th 03 10:10 PM
Regarding breeding and Breed suitibility -- Best breed family Sunni12 Dog breeds 0 October 14th 03 09:02 PM
Breeding debate Routerider Dog breeds 11 August 7th 03 05:15 AM
Breeding tips? Angela Thompson Dog breeds 20 July 8th 03 06:58 AM