Toby

Old August 12th 03, 11:29 PM
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Toby

Toby has gone downhill pretty quickly over the past few days...he will
eat, but it's pretty obvious he's only doing it because we want him to,
and he tires very quickly. Sometimes he sounds like he's having trouble
breathing. We've agreed that the time has come, before he gets any
worse.

A neighbor has offered to take Fidget for a while while the vet is here.
I don't know if that's a good idea--if it's better for Fidget to know
Toby is gone or just to wonder what happened to him. If anyone has any
thoughts to share on this, I would love to hear them.

The vet is coming to the house tomorrow afternoon sometime between 3 and
3:30. Please think of us then.

Toby trusts us to make the right decision, and this is the right
decision, but oh god it hurts.
--
Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
http://www.vaildc.net/kevin/
Old August 12th 03, 11:56 PM
Cate

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message

Toby trusts us to make the right decision, and this is the right
decision, but oh god it hurts.

Oh, Kevin, I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you and Toby.

Cate

Old August 13th 03, 12:47 AM
peejoe

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message

Toby trusts us to make the right decision, and this is the right
decision, but oh god it hurts.

I am so sorry Kevin. You will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

helps the other dogs accept what's happened if they can see and say goodbye.

Again, my sympathies...

-Jenn

Old August 13th 03, 12:53 AM
Dimpled Chad

On 12 Aug 2003, Kevin Michael Vail opined:

Please think of us then.

We shall. Peace be with you and yours, Kevin.
Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

Remember, you're on your own - Don't push it -
Harold (New Red Green Show)

Old August 13th 03, 01:51 AM
FurPaw

Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

Toby trusts us to make the right decision, and this is the right
decision, but oh god it hurts.

I'm so sorry, Kevin. You've made Toby's last months happy, and
you're now trying to spare him any further suffering. Who could
ask for more?

You'll be in my thoughts.

FurPaw
--
There's no reason to give credence to anything spoken above 90
decibels.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old August 13th 03, 02:47 AM
bentcajungirl

Lucky Toby to have had you and lucky you to have had Toby. I thought of you
this morning and wondered to myself why we hadn't seen any posts from you
and then I see this one this evening. Life is a big circle.
Be kind to yourself.
Perry
bentcajungirl

Old August 13th 03, 03:07 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message
Toby has gone downhill pretty quickly over the past few days...he will
eat, but it's pretty obvious he's only doing it because we want him to,
and he tires very quickly. Sometimes he sounds like he's having trouble
breathing. We've agreed that the time has come, before he gets any
worse.

Oh crap Kevin, I'm sorry to hear this. The decision is yours, and
don't ever think that you didn't do all you could. I'm sorry.

A neighbor has offered to take Fidget for a while while the vet is here.
I don't know if that's a good idea--if it's better for Fidget to know
Toby is gone or just to wonder what happened to him. If anyone has any
thoughts to share on this, I would love to hear them.

From my only experience with this, we let Coda see/sniff Guiness
afterward. He was pretty nonchalant about it, and basically kept
throwing his toy in the gravesite while we dug it, trying to get us
to play with him. I don't think he noticed right away, but the
next day he did. And for nearly a week he was...well...different.
He moped and waited and didn't eat well, he didn't even initiate
play with us at all (and he is annoying about this all other times).
But, after about a week, he was much better, and began adjusting.
It was tough, since we were all grieving (especially my husband,
she was *his* dog), and it was hard to be "normal" around him
for a few days. Maybe he was depressed because *we* were
depressed & sad, maybe it was his own feelings, I don't know.

But, when things began sorting themselves out,
we (humans) knew it was for the best. I think Coda knew before
we did. The night before (and we didn't plan it) he crammed himself
into the crate *with* her (she spent much of her last months just sleeping
in her no-doored crate).
I don't know if he'd be the same, worse or different if we'd have
done it another way. But, I felt that by having him see/sniff her,
he would maybe somehow "know".

The vet is coming to the house tomorrow afternoon sometime between 3 and

3:30. Please think of us then.

Toby trusts us to make the right decision, and this is the right
decision, but oh god it hurts.

Exactly, and yes, it does. I'm sorry.
You'll all be in my thoughts tomorrow. Godspeed, Toby.
Shelly & The Boys

Old August 13th 03, 04:04 AM
Suja

Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

The vet is coming to the house tomorrow afternoon sometime between 3 and
3:30. Please think of us then.

We're so sorry to hear this, Kevin. You'll all be in our thoughts.
Peace to you and yours.

Suja